Well, I guess the MKV is indeed a reality...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Octavarius said:
Madsman said:
I know someone else who has played a prototype apparently too.

The run down (things may have, or may still change):

3 channels, multiple modes per channel.

1). Clean. One of the sounds is apparently a very good vintage-vibe Fender clean.

2). Overdrive. It's apparently very much what they were trying to do with the Stiletto... touch sensitive British sounding. Supposed to be much better than the Stiletto, for that matter.

3). MkIV, MkIIC+ and sort of "Ultra high gain" mode (the last of which wasn't all that, and could be why the amp isn't out yet)

I don't know how faithfully it gets either Mk tone. It is said to have sounded very good, though.

Graphic EQ.

This sounds good, but I think I'd only buy one if it had more than one EQ. Maybe put 2 VHT style miniature EQ's instead of the large one that Mesa uses.

I wonder if the plan is to simply add routing and control features that don't dramatically alter the tone in an effort to pull people away from ebay and into show rooms for a new product. The used market must be frustrating for them at this point in the Mark IV's product life cycle. They need to generate demand for a purchases from them not the used market.

newfinator said:
I wonder if the plan is to simply add routing and control features that don't dramatically alter the tone in an effort to pull people away from ebay and into show rooms for a new product. The used market must be frustrating for them at this point in the Mark IV's product life cycle. They need to generate demand for a purchases from them not the used market.

+1 for somebody who understands business even just a little bit ;)

newfinator said:
well, I'm somewhat in agreement with you on the ebay part anyways. I "think" they would treat us better with product.... right? Noteworthy Landmark builds...that what I am expecting. I bet it's hard for them to impress every time around.

phyrexia said:
newfinator said:

+1 for somebody who understands business even just a little bit ;)
Well, I run a 'smallish' multinational company, though not in retail or product management. So, I hope I have at least a clue on business or I'm sunk. :wink:

I am wondering *how* they would market a MKV.

What kind of marketing shpeel would cover magazine ads, especially on the heels of their still-new Express line? Their ad copy for these already implies these are the all-do amps that ends all amps. How will they differentiate the new MkV for Joe Guitarist ...especially if the Express already does it all, so to speak? Thoughts, anyone?

Edward

If Petrucci uses it touring and records a cd with it, that'll be all the marketing it needs ! You can't compare the Express series to a MKIV or MKV in any way, shape or form. The Express replaced the 'F' series, their entry level line of amps.

I think it's more difficult then ever to put out another landmark amp that distinguishes(right spelling?) itself from almost all current amps.

When the Marks where launched they had unbelievable amounts of gain for that time and total new gain charasteristics, just like the recto's had when those came out. They had something no other amp could delive(except soldano boutique things).

I don't think they can pull that off again, although they had it right with the stiletto's, those filled some sort of gap Marshall stupidly left open.

4/5 channel 100 mode amplifiers are already out there(koch supernova, ENGL SE, Roadking etc), so they probably won't have a chance there.

And a last note: Most guitarists searching for a high gain amp don't like the vintage character of the Marks, so to make an amp that gets those players(probably the biggest market for boogie) back should have some kind of new voicing(for a mark).

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but a revived Mark IV will only be a temporary hype I think.

I hope they can still do it, like they did with the stiletto. We'll see.

I doubt Mesa is worried about the used market. The used market is mainly about price point. We want a Mark IV, but can't afford one new. We want a roadking, but can't justify the cost of a new one.

That's were the roadster comes in. Not as expensive as a road king, of course it doesn't have all the features.... but some guys would rather buy new.

Aart said:
I think it's more difficult then ever to put out another landmark amp that distinguishes(right spelling?) itself from almost all current amps.

When the Marks where launched they had unbelievable amounts of gain for that time and total new gain charasteristics, just like the recto's had when those came out. They had something no other amp could delive(except soldano boutique things).

I don't think they can pull that off again, although they had it right with the stiletto's, those filled some sort of gap Marshall stupidly left open.

4/5 channel 100 mode amplifiers are already out there(koch supernova, ENGL SE, Roadking etc), so they probably won't have a chance there.

And a last note: Most guitarists searching for a high gain amp don't like the vintage character of the Marks, so to make an amp that gets those players(probably the biggest market for boogie) back should have some kind of new voicing(for a mark).

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but a revived Mark IV will only be a temporary hype I think.

I hope they can still do it, like they did with the stiletto. We'll see.

Ok, so that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks for the specific thoughts/examples. But yes, it will be difficult I think for Mesa to land a "breakthrough" amp ...there's just too much variety and quality out there now than there was in the early 90s. Still really curious though :)

Edward

Aart said:
And a last note: Most guitarists searching for a high gain amp don't like the vintage character of the Marks . . .
I never thought of a Mark as "vintage sounding." What exactly is a "vintage sound" anyway? I always thought they sounded very "modern." You know, tight, high-gain. 'Course, what do I know?

I know what you mean about the modern voice thing. I bought a Bugera 6260 just for my modern rhythms. I play in 2 bands, one being Melodic death metal, while the Mark IV is there for leads, the rhythm sections need a more brutal sounding gain, that's where other amps come in. the mark iv is just smooth smooth smooth, XD and i love it for those qualities!

LEVEL4 said:
Aart said:
And a last note: Most guitarists searching for a high gain amp don't like the vintage character of the Marks . . .
I never thought of a Mark as "vintage sounding." What exactly is a "vintage sound" anyway? I always thought they sounded very "modern." You know, tight, high-gain. 'Course, what do I know?

I always thought the Marks were supposed to give you both, starting with a good Fenderish clean and blooming into a gain monster. I agree that the Mark IVs acquired a more "modern" voice than its predecessors, but the foundation for the Marks has been the "Fender on steroids", with Fender (vintage) being the operative word. But I hear considerably less Fender in my Mark IV than in my Mark IIs.

i actually ask John Petrucci during our meet n greet at the progressive nation tour in boston if he had tried the mark v proto and his only reply was "i couldn't tell you that info" and smiled...

I have a hint for you guys. The two posters that were quoted in the OP...they were the same person posing as two people so that it looked like a legit conversation. There is no Mark V. There will be no Mark V.

OverDriven said:
I have a hint for you guys. The two posters that were quoted in the OP...they were the same person posing as two people so that it looked like a legit conversation. There is no Mark V. There will be no Mark V.

because??? show why you say it is so...
are you an admin..you have an ip addy? etc.

I suppose that is the easiest. It is far too tough to follow the legacy.

It's over guys! As of today, the Mark IV is NOT listed on the Boogie website!
I'm SO HAPPY I got one XD

I have to think that the Mark series is dead in the water. We have also been rectified to death ( DR, TR, RK, RK II, Roadster etc ) so I am hopeful that Mesa invents something not rectifier based or Mark based. I personally think both have been done to death. ( However, I would not mind a rectifier amp that could actually get a great lead sound !).

What market are they going after ? Metal....get rectified. Blues/jazz/clean... go Lonestar yourself. Shred ? not trendy enough to cash in on ( sorry JP fanatics). Play polka or country.....errrrr..... you don't need a Mesa.

Rap is the best selling pop music..... maybe we will get an amp with a turntable on it. Hell if I know.....

Back