Warmth

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, how can I add warmth to my tone? My amp is a mark III no stripe. I was told I need to turn the master volume up to at least 4, that's where the sweet spot kicks in. But, heck... When the volume is at 3 it's Very very loud. Please advise.

Thanks,
Sean

Depends on your definition of 'warmth'. It maybe your choice of tubes, or if you want power tube breakup at a reasonable volume, you can try an attenuator.

It's almost impossible to use words to describe sounds, but .......... can you be more specific about what you do and do not like about the tone you are getting now? What amp settings are you using? What pedals? What speaker? What kind of music? loud cleans? or in your face crunch rock? etc...etc... :?:

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm using the blues settings in the Mark III manual. Speaker is the a EVM 12L. EQ is the classic V, with the 750 slider raised just a little from the bottom. My guitar is a Strat with Vintage noiseless pups. Trying to get that warm clean strat sound with just a little breakup. Hope that helps.

Flatten out the V a little - more midrange is often the key to warmth. Also, try playing without the EQ - tweak the main TMB knobs till you find a sound you like. You may find that you don't even need the EQ. Once you find a sound that's close to what you're looking for, set the EQ knobs in the middle, turn it on, and adjust just the middle slider a bit. Play with it like that for an hour. Then adjust just one other slider (or the middle one again), repeat. Eventually you'll find the setting that is your sound - not some settings you read in the manual.

I've done this, and found that the EQ settings that really resonate for me are mostly close to the center - it's a V, but not a very pronounced one. The middle slider is only a hair below the middle, and the bottom one is the only one that's more than a hair away from the middle.

Of course, if you're playing in a lot of different rooms, you need to get a little more flexible about your settings - what works in your practice room might not work on stage.

For "just a little breakup", run the Volume 1 higher, but go easy on the high frequencies like the Pull Bright, Treble Shift, and Presence.
Tweak with your ears, not your eyes. If a good sounding setting is Treble on 6, Mids on 8, and Bass on 2, then that's what it should be.
Too many people think there's something wrong if they have to run the Bass low. That's the way Boogies roll. I usually run the Bass at zero, pulled. I only use the EQ to fine tune the Lead sound, and frankly, the mids get just slightly boosted, not dumped. I'd rather be heard in the mix, thank you very much.

sduck said:
I've done this, and found that the EQ settings that really resonate for me are mostly close to the center - it's a V, but not a very pronounced one. The middle slider is only a hair below the middle, and the bottom one is the only one that's more than a hair away from the middle.
+1

MrMarkIII said:
For "just a little breakup", run the Volume 1 higher, but go easy on the high frequencies like the Pull Bright, Treble Shift, and Presence.
+1

these guys are setting you in the right direction.

swbo101 said:
Depends on your definition of 'warmth'. It maybe your choice of tubes, or if you want power tube breakup at a reasonable volume, you can try an attenuator.
Can't emphasis more that what you are experiencing is power tube break up. The harmonics are warm unlike preamp tube break up.

This is why many members here are turned on by the lower power Electra Dyne amps or Express Series amps. They discover the warmth of power stage tube break up.

My black dot sounds very brittle when I first turn it on. After about a half hour of warming up it sounds very different. I also like a 4X12 sealed cabinet verses a 4X12 half open, 1X12 cabinet or combo open back. I don't like the Mark III at low volume so I tend to use my Mark IV for home use or when I know ahead of time I'll have to keep my volume low at a gig, just the way it is for me. Tubes will make or break the amp, they're so important to getting whatever sound you're looking for from any tube amp. Bad tubes = bad sound!

I've found the Presence settings to be critical to smoothing out the sound, which some may think of as "warmth." I never run it more than 3, and usually it's between 1.5 and 2. It does darken the sound of the amp, so you may have to compensate by adding a bit of hair with your GEQ.

Running the Presence too high, for me, makes my Mark IIB sound brittle in lead mode.

You might even try nickel strings and an extra heavy celluloid pick. Those two things will warm things up a bit, but maybe not enough.

My modified classic V consists of the 750 slider at the middle or slightly above and slightly higher bass settings on the graphic EQ only (bass knob at 0 to 3 depending on guitar). Once you get to the critical master volume, you'll have loads of cut with warmth to match. It makes other amps sound very thin in A/B comparisons. :mrgreen:

Try a NOS 5751 in V1 and V3 positions.The current production 5751's that I've seen arent as "soft" or "warm" as the old stock.They are more like a weak,harsh or tinny AX7.I would also suggest adjusting the power tubes idle a bit hotter.It will give you a bit more power tube break up,which is a mile warmer than the preamp tube break up you get now.The Mesa factory bias is very cold,which is opposite of warm.The mod is very easy and inexpensive,I often do it for free when I have a Mk on the bench for any other work.

Back