Waiting for my Mark IV sucks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawnmet

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd post to say I'm going to be the proud owner of a Mark IV in a couple of months, I've put a deposit down, which covered the 1x12 Compact Open Back Cabinet (which I took home wooo!) and now all thats left is to wait 3 months for the shipment to come in from the states, and pay the rest off. Eh...its gonna suck waiting.

Anybody ever plugged a tiny 15w combo amp (bedroom blaster) into a big (well...bigger) cabinet?

Dan

I feel your pain, in the end I had to wait 6 months for my Mark IV small head, last year.

This is my first post so hi all. I have been lurking here for about a month. I have a rackmount Mark IV head coming on Friday so I feel your pain. I absolutely can not wait. It's the amp I've always dreamed of. Well, the Mark IIC+ used to be but I've decided that I need 3 channels and a separate crunch/lead sound so here we go. I just can't wait to look across the room and see that Mesa/Boogie name on something I own. I'm coming from a Carvin Legacy.

Welcome to the Board devilrob1979 :D I bet the anticipation is killing you. Be sure to post up pics when it comes. Coming from a Carvin? I think there was a cigarette company ad that said it best, "You've come a long way baby..." Best tip: READ THE MANUAL. Second best tip: DO IT AGAIN. Really, I just reread the manual last week after owning mine for over a year and connected some more dots. Patience is a virtue with this amp and you will be rewarded.

Congrats on the deposit spawnmet. Be patient. Get used to being patient too and you too will love the Mark IV.

I have plugged the DSL201 into a 1960 cab and it rocked. Try your little practice amp into the 1x12 you might be surprized.

Thanks Russ, luckily I have the patience of a god. Or I'd be going insane right now.

I'll give the practice amp a go! I'm sure mesa cabs would make anything sound good

I also have one on order....Mark IV medium head! My store is small, so they had me pay the whole thing in full up front :(

The wait is killing me :cry:

It will pass by before you know it. Then your amp will come and you will be all teeth. It builds character...

As Russ said, the wait will be worth it when it comes in. My 5 month wait ended last Thursday when my Mark IV short head showed up. Congrats!

spawnmet said:
Hey Everyone,

Anybody ever plugged a tiny 15w combo amp (bedroom blaster) into a big (well...bigger) cabinet?

Dan

Congrats!

If that 15watt amp is tube and the new cab has a good (efficient) speaker, it will be LOUD!

Really, I build myself a 30/15watt (switchable) amp because I wanted an amp with good tone but without the volume of my mkIV.
Silly me, It's almost equally loud. (I'm not joking)
Watt doesn't tell you everything.

A friend of mine has a Epiphone Electra 10Watt amp (single end 6L6)
With the original 10" speaker it was ok for the price.
Not really that loud and so, so tone.
But plugging this thing in a 2X12 cab (open back with G12H and greenback) made a BIG change in tone and volume. Now that sucker really sounds good.

cheers

Cutting an amp's power rating in half only decreases its volume by 3 dB and it's the same as you go down so quartering it would only be a decrease in 6 dB. It takes a very little amount of power to get very loud. The only benefit to more power in my opinion is clean headroom and the particular characteristics of your choice of tubes which of course are all different. One of the characteristics that attratced me to the Mark IV was the fact that by using Class A, Triode and Tweed power I can cut the power so much and therefor have to attenuate less when I'm at home (I live in an apartment and use a MASS150 when I'm here). No I didn't buy this to use as a bedroom amp so no worries. She will roar.

As for the wait, mine will be 2 weeks total and it's killing me. I don't know how you guys can wait for months. I'll take used and here within a short period of time over new and a 6 month wait any day. You guys are much stronger than me and just think you probably paid a $100 more than me for each one of those months you're waiting. I have no fear in buying a used Mesa because I know that if anything goes wrong I can send it to Mike B. and have him take a look at it and it's still going to cost me less than the difference between what I paid and ProNet.

Do you guys think I should get the open back for my 2x12 Avatar? It's got a Celestion Century and a Century Vintage in it just to answer that invevitable question.

By the way, I'm not going to slam my old' Carvin Legacy. It sounded nice it just didn't do all that I wanted it to.

Latest posts

Back