I am cheating on my Rectifiers....NCD/NAD!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andross182

Reaction score
Christmas took a little while to get here for me but it finally arrived! I had been wanting a 2x12 vert cabinet for a while as I always felt the 1x12 while decent, was too low to the ground so I picked up the cab first and the difference was incredible! It was so good in fact, that I stopped using the speakers in my roadster combo and swung my speaker cable to the cab instead. The sound is so much more full and rich than before, and I assume it will only get better as the speakers get broken in. I HIGHLY recommend this cab to anyone looking for a vert 2x12.

I had been kicking around the idea of picking up an Archon for a while now, particularly the Archon 50. My dealer had two Archon 100s that had been sitting for a bit, I went in a few months back and noticed they were marked 200 bucks off, I jammed on them for quite a while which just made my GAS even worse however I held off, as I was still torn between the Archon 50 and Archon 100. Well as fate would have it, I went in a few weeks back and they had a new price tag on them, 500 off! I talked to their guitar department manager and he stated that while they were amazing amps, players around here have blinders on to anything that isn't Peavey, Mesa, or Marshall for high gain. I went back this weekend and jammed on one with a new PRS CE (that guitar really sings by the way) and decided to pull the trigger.

Once I got it home I set it up and with everything at noon hit an open G chord and was absolutely blown away! Every gripe I had with my Mesa tone was gone, the sound was fat, full, saturated with ZERO hint of buzzy overtones that I had gotten used to with my Mesas! I have had the long time struggle of too much bass with my Mesas, where as I would set the EQ up with my guitars' pickup selector in the middle, only to have it be much too bass heavy when I went to the neck pickup. This issue DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. with the Archon, it almost feels like my guitars can finally breathe now! I can play with any pickup option without having to tweak EQs now and its a great feeling! On top of that the amp is also incredible at bedroom volume where my rectoverb 25 seemed to suffer at. Maybe I just suck at dialing in a cascading EQ, but its a night and day difference from the Mesa EQ to the Archon EQ. You can see my settings from the photo, and This amp is quite versatile, it is by no means a one trick pony and takes pedals and boosts extremely well.

archonftw1.PNG

I am a big PRS fan. I currently have a Custom 50 but really think the Archon is the one for me. I've heard lots of demos, but I've never played one.

That said, I LOVE my Mini Rec, and it's really easy to make it not fizzy. And my Mark V 25 has 4 of the best gain voices I've ever heard. If the Archon can compete with those... I need one!

If we're going to be talking about our favourite NON-Mesa amps in a Recto forum, I have to say that I really like ReVv's stuff. https://www.facebook.com/RevvAmplification/?fref=ts I particularly love the Generator 7 - 40 and I find the amps to be tight, aggressive, and versatile with more mids and upper mids while still sounding huge. They make the Recto and Mark V sound quite vintage by comparison.

I've also heard good things about the Archon and I agree that it is a shame that most people only buy amps from known builders for high gain heads. But, this is the power of branding. This is the same way that fender lovers probably would really dig an Electra Dyne but wouldn't buy it because it says 'mesa' on it.

Back