Volume pedal placement...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
I just got an Ernie Ball VPjr (6181model, 25 k pot) volume pedal...I've never used one before...I want to use it with my Road King...First, which effects loop should I use it in, or which one would better, 1 or 2?...Second, should it come before my effects (I'm using chorus, delay, and flanger) or after?...Any help would be appricated, thanx.

Yeah, you would want it before any delay type of effects. You can get some really cool violin/swelling things with it.

Thanx man, I appricate the help...Is it better to place in the effects loop or in the front?...Which loop should I use it in on my Road King?

I'm not very familiar with the RK at all. But yeah, my personal choice would be to run it in the effects loop with all of the other effects.

How come when I have the amp up at stage volume there is still sound when the pedal is completely down?...Does the pot need to be reset?...I'm using it in the first loop also...Help!

first of all, the volume pedal should be in front, in front of all overdrives and anything else. secondly, the 25k version is for active pickups like EMG's. it would make sense that even with the pedal all the way down, you will still hear noise in the amp. compare it to just turning your guitar volume down.

Well, it acts like a volume pot (in front of the amp)...It doesn't maintain the overdrive, it actually "cleans" it up, which is not what I want...I want to do swells and stuff and not lose any overdrive, ya know?...The companys website says that you could use this model that I have, in the effects loop of an amp...Would a passive volume pedal be closer to what I need?...And please explain why you feel it should go in front of the amp...Thanx a million dude, for your help.

A big thanx to everybody here helping me out...I'm still having trouble getting the pedal to COMPLETELY turn off when in the down position though...Is this an adjustment I need to make to the pedal itself?

I can't think of an adjustment that would help.

My understanding of a volume pedal is that iit is just a potentiometer connected to a rocker pedal with an input and an output.

A potentiometer is a variable resistor that compares "potential" voltage. When two potentials are balanced (equal), no current would flow between them, thus, no signal.

So, if your potentiometer is working correctly, when it's off...it should allow no signal to pass.

Check you rig out with a friend's volume pedal to see if that could be an issue...other than that, I can make no other suggestions...I don't run my volume pedal in the loop, I use it immediately after my guitar.

Different style of volume work than you, I guess.

RB

Latest posts

Back