Voltage problem!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronlevy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I bought my mesa in New York some days ago.
My problem, is that i'm living in Israel- we have 220V- not 110V.
So, I came home and connected my mesa to non appropriate transformer by a mistake.
This is what happened:

IMG_1496.jpg

The varistor burned out, also my fuse. Everything else seem to by fine.
Now, my questions are:

What varistor I need? Which model? Where I can get it?
What fuse?
What transformer should I use? how many watts? Thank you!!!!!

Look man, you blew up a brand new amp design. No one has the schematics except Mesa Boogie. They haven't even sent them to the service centers as far as I know. No one's amp has blown up like yours yet. You can buy Varistors at any parts supply store but you don't know the rating and value so you're out of luck. The only people who are going to be able to answer your question is Mesa Boogie.

First of all, thank you very much.
now, I can see that my varistor tipe is "SINCERA 20d201k", its written on it- so that is the VZ20D201KBS from the site you sent me?
they are the same?
And what about the last site in your list? What is it about?

Thank you!!!

Seriously, just call Mesa Boogie. You're in over your head here. I understand that you're in Israel; however, the damage you are about to cause to your Mark V by "fixing" it is going to cost you more in the long run.

I had the same problem in Ireland, If you cut out the MOV it will remove the short circuit and teh amp will work fine it is a failsfe device that stops high voltage ruining the amp. I would recommend replacing it, hope this helps. I have a schematic for the dual and have performed this opperstion with the help of a repair man who simple cut one leg of the fried MOV to byoass it and let the amp work. if you cut both legs you might forget where to place the new MOV

There is a section on the Mesa Boogie website reguarding international service.

A direct link is here -->

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/Intl_serv_repair/Intl_service-Israel.htm

For a expensive amp as the Mark V I would recommend you contact a authorized service center.
Even if you dont plan on shipping it out for service there opinion is worth a call.
Electronic components typically fry from too much current flow. That current flow had to go through some path to get to that varistor. Wires, solder joints, transformers, ect.

That being said .... the only really expensive parts to worry about are your transformers. If they burn up its going to be expensive to repair.

If you plan on replacing that varistor yourself. I would replace it... and the fuse. Turn the power on while in standby. If the fuse immediatly blows again you have bigger issues.
If it doesnt blow the fuse ... I would pray real hard and then turn the amp on. Hope it deosnt let any more smoke out!

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back