Vintage Original Prices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
Google wasn't much of a help. Is there any place where one could find the original prices for early Mark amps? I am primarily interested in the original price for a Mark IIB, 100 watt simul-class with reverb and GEQ. But I am just about as interested in all the early Mark's original prices.

I think I still have the original receipt for a Mark IIA, HRG, and if I recall correctly it was about 795 dollars in 1978. I'd have to dig out that receipt to verify it.

Sure would love to find another like it for the original price!

Mark II price list.JPG

In Australia a stock Mark 1 amp 60 watt with an Eminence speaker, reverb, in a black cab were $1200.00. There was only one seller at the time so they were charging what the market could tolerate.

The speakers available at the time were JBL and Altec. I think JBL speakers were in the other Boogie’s that were on sale at the shop.

A Marshall dual cab 100 watt head was $1400.00

In the end my teacher recommended the Boogie and it was easier to lift that than the Marshall stack.

I sold the amp in the 80’s for $800.00, there were three of them for sale secondhand at that time.
Regards

Mark

Last edited:
Here is a price list from when I purchased my Mark IIb back in '82. Mine is not simul-class but the price for the option is listed.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 0
One thing I remember about my Mark 1 amp. The valves in the amp were top shelf valves. There was the Fetron in position 1, and the rest of the valves were bugle boy 12AX7’s and Sylvania STR 6L6’s.

Unfortunately, we don’t get valves of this quality now.

Regards

Mark

My dad gave me his old stash of Mesa tubes a few years ago. Tried a set of old 6L6s (can't recall the numbers) and the sound was amazing. I wish I had a tester to see how they rate now, but man oh man, that tone was absolutely beautiful. I personally don't think different brands of power tubes make a huge difference in tone, but these sure did. I do think tubes make some differences, but generally more subtly so. Redundantly, that was not the case with these power tubes. I may have to dig those up again and give them a run in my JP2C.

I just inherited my dad's 1983 Mark IIB with the same specs I posted at the top of this thread. I was with him the day he bought it in Denver, but I have zero recollection of what he paid. I am still trying to figure out how that amp was in a shop. My best guess at this point is that someone ordered it and backed out. Regardless, I am thrilled to have the amp now. As soon as it gets a clean bill of health, it will be used at gigs this summer.

Latest posts

Back