VHT vs ENGL

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VijfZiel

Reaction score
Hi boys!!! Im considering buying another amp, other than mesa, cause Ive already had a RK II and Im very happy with it!!!

Im between an ENGL SE 670 and a VHT. Also I dont know what tubes to choose with the ENGL. Please tell me if one of you has listen and try one of this amps, please help me decide!!! If it helps, I play Progressive metal!

Thanx!!!

it all depends on what voicing you like, vht is drastically different than mesa's voicing. engl is a lil less drastic, so its sorta a toss up. you can dial in the same dry angry sound into an engl that the vht has. but you really dont get to dial out all the dryness in a vht. it mostly depends on what you think sounds good. what vht amp were you looking at?

the engl se is a very versatile amp and you can get nearly any tone you desire with it, you really cant go wrong with it if you get one for a good price. and again its either 6l6 or el34 and its really your decision :lol: if u can find one local id call up and see if you can test one out, i know theres never any round here but theres a big difference between 6l6 and el34, and i really dont ever see many 6l6 se's on the used market so idk wat to tell you if your buyin used you may just have to get whatevers out there :lol:

ENGL or Soldano! At least that's what I want. Poignant input I know. But really I'm eager to try an ENGL and have barely played a Soldano. I know Soldano SLO100 is what kinda inspired the Recto family, and being a fan of Vinnie Moore I'd really like to try an ENGL.

VijfZiel said:
Hi boys!!! Im considering buying another amp, other than mesa, cause Ive already had a RK II and Im very happy with it!!!

Im between an ENGL SE 670 and a VHT. Also I dont know what tubes to choose with the ENGL. Please tell me if one of you has listen and try one of this amps, please help me decide!!! If it helps, I play Progressive metal!

Thanx!!!

depends on the VHT.... UL is very dry... CL is dry.... Sig X is dry with a little sag.... Deliverance is dry with more sage

Sig X has a ridiculous amount of different tones in it covering the grounds from the uL to the Deliverance but its still a VHT type tone which most people either love or hate. i would try before you buy.... if your located anywhere near LA, head over to Bass Xchange in Sherman Oaks and you can test both brands side by side

thanx to all your comments, except the one of sfr, it seems that you play sooo **** good that u waste ur time searching topics that did not match the section... Whatever... The point here guys is that where I live there is no dealer of ENGL nor VHT, so I almost have to buy without testing anything...so bad...

i know you said you play progressive metal but what type of tone are you looking for. Those amps sound way different from each other, an way different from your road king.

VHT will sound more dry than most players are used to. i find the Sig X or Deliverance have the most give or sag to them, and are probably the closest to a boogie type tone in the VHT lineup. I dig VHTs and might be my next amp somewhere down the line but its not everyones cup of tea. Check out youtube to find some clips so you have a slight idea what they sound like.

ENGL to me has a very compressed sound. They might have the most dense gain ive ever heard and they have great bells and whistles like the road king (midi switching, tons of tone options, builtin gate, etc.). Depending on the engl you can cover a lot of ground especially on something like the SE, as each of the 4 channels have 3 voicings and since everything is midi programable you can have up to 128 different patches and depending on what kind of fx you use, you could get almost every tone you need and be able to do it via midi switching. But while that extra stuff is nice you need to dig the ENGL tone which i do but not as much as Mesa or VHT... again check out youtube to see if you can find some good clips that represent the amps well. also check out each company's artists and see if their tones are what you looking for. Off the top of my head a big VHT user(s) are the guys from Unearth... by far the heaviest live tone i've ever heard.... it felt like someone was punching my chest

yeah, I'm in disagree with all that people that love petrucci's tone, I like it, but when I heard it live, I was so freaking diferent that I started to doubt about mesa's capabilities in live situations. That's why I discard a lot to find an amp just listening to it in studio recordings, mixing processes helps a lot. So sad... I like michael romeo, but only odyssey and paradise lost, in which definitely in both, the budget to produce them were a lot bigger than the previous ones, and playing live, he uses line 6 vetta to keep the things simple. Sooo sad too, can hear ENGL in live with him. Ive read somewhere that alexi laiho uses VHT, I'm not fan of his music, but his tone seems to me kinda nice!

So again thanx for ur useful comments, thanx for people like u I know I can't go wrong with the amp I chose... Yeah, when I decide! Hahaha

VijfZiel said:
yeah, I'm in disagree with all that people that love petrucci's tone, I like it, but when I heard it live, I was so freaking diferent that I started to doubt about mesa's capabilities in live situations. That's why I discard a lot to find an amp just listening to it in studio recordings, mixing processes helps a lot. So sad... I like michael romeo, but only odyssey and paradise lost, in which definitely in both, the budget to produce them were a lot bigger than the previous ones, and playing live, he uses line 6 vetta to keep the things simple. Sooo sad too, can hear ENGL in live with him. Ive read somewhere that alexi laiho uses VHT, I'm not fan of his music, but his tone seems to me kinda nice!

So again thanx for ur useful comments, thanx for people like u I know I can't go wrong with the amp I chose... Yeah, when I decide! Hahaha

depends whne you caught petrucci in the past 5 years because he went back and forth between road king and his mark ivs. if you listen to the artist videos on the mesa site he goes through his most recent rig and to me it sounds very much like whats recorded on systematic chaos.

but as i think you were saying, basing an amp on recorded tones can be decieving but i think you can get a ballpark idea of finding an amateur recording on youtube or clips on certain forums. honestly i find the engls too compressed... the VHT, especially the Sig X, has a lot of tone and lets the character of you guitar come through, instead of covering them (but thats just me).

Dont forget it also depends on the sound man, I have seen groups with top of the line gear sound like such *** because the sound man cant mix right! Also if they are in a venue with a crappy PA system that might also account to tone issues.

I doubt mesa would be so huge so used if it sounded like crap live.

jdurso said:
VijfZiel said:

depends whne you caught petrucci in the past 5 years because he went back and forth between road king and his mark ivs. if you listen to the artist videos on the mesa site he goes through his most recent rig and to me it sounds very much like whats recorded on systematic chaos.

but as i think you were saying, basing an amp on recorded tones can be decieving but i think you can get a ballpark idea of finding an amateur recording on youtube or clips on certain forums. honestly i find the engls too compressed... the VHT, especially the Sig X, has a lot of tone and lets the character of you guitar come through, instead of covering them (but thats just me).

siggy14 said:
Dont forget it also depends on the sound man, I have seen groups with top of the line gear sound like such *** because the sound man cant mix right! Also if they are in a venue with a crappy PA system that might also account to tone issues.

jdurso said:
VijfZiel said:

very true.... liek the last time i saw tool everything sounded like ****. i saw them a week early and they sounded amazing. and the reason they sounded shitty was the playing, it was definitely the venue.

this confirms the idea my friend and i had... we need a website that does good demo videos of gear and good, honest reviews from different angles, genres and abilities, and have that all in one place. my friend and i are actaully trying to develop a site like that in our spare time.

jdurso said:
siggy14 said:

jdurso said:

very true.... liek the last time i saw tool everything sounded like sh!t. i saw them a week early and they sounded amazing. and the reason they sounded sh!t was the playing, it was definitely the venue.

this confirms the idea my friend and i had... we need a website that does good demo videos of gear and good, honest reviews from different angles, genres and abilities, and have that all in one place. my friend and i are actaully trying to develop a site like that in our spare time.

That sonds very nice man!!! Tell me if I can help in anything building that site... It would we very helpful tp musicians like us that are very meticulous about amps, good amps

well we're still looking into what it would cost to run a site like that (between servers and maintanence). we have the resources when it comes to taping, editing (our ex-drummer and friend works for guitar world and thats what he does) and we have the musicians from a wide variety of styles and skill levels and a bunch of equipment to start with. it just will come down to cost and if we can get buy in from different companies to have their gear demo'd.

jdurso said:
VijfZiel said:

Thanx!!!

depends on the VHT.... UL is very dry... CL is dry.... Sig X is dry with a little sag.... Deliverance is dry with more sage

Sig X has a ridiculous amount of different tones in it covering the grounds from the uL to the Deliverance but its still a VHT type tone which most people either love or hate. i would try before you buy.... if your located anywhere near LA, head over to Bass Xchange in Sherman Oaks and you can test both brands side by side

Hey jdurso.....

You never stop impressing me, dude. I've already told you that I've enjoyed reading your stuff here....but now you're recommending a place right by my house and you're all the way in N.J.?! Jeepers!.....

VijfZiel said:

Dude, Michael Romeo uses Engl now. I think that's what he used on "Paradise Lost."

I'm all in favor of an Engl. I own the EL34 SE E670 and I absolutely love it. If anyone wants me to record clips and post them I will. Here's a youtube video of some heavy thrash/power metal riffing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_s-InE92Xk

UltraGary said:
Hey jdurso.....

You never stop impressing me, dude. I've already told you that I've enjoyed reading your stuff here....but now you're recommending a place right by my house and you're all the way in N.J.?! Jeepers!.....

i travel a lot for work, mostly california and arizona (i work for a 10 ten homebuilder). Anyway i had to do a systems and process cleanup about a year and a half ago which had me in southern cal for 2 big trips for 4 and 3 weeks at a time without being about to get home for the weekends so i had to keep myself entertained. I think ive been to most of the Guitar Centers south of Bakersfield and a few places like Bass Xchange and Mesa Hollywood. So it was more out of necessity for me to kill my boredom inbetween rounds of golf. Bass Xchange is a killer place... those guys know their stuff and are very helpful. they dont care how good you are, they are always willing to get you setup and shoot the ****.

SoulIncision said:
VijfZiel said:

Dude, Michael Romeo uses Engl now. I think that's what he used on "Paradise Lost."

I'm all in favor of an Engl. I own the EL34 SE E670 and I absolutely love it. If anyone wants me to record clips and post them I will. Here's a youtube video of some heavy thrash/power metal riffing.

Wow!!! It sounds nice!!! Do you own a mesa too?? Or only the ENGL??

SoulIncision said:
VijfZiel said:

Wow!!! It sounds nice!!! Do you own a mesa too?? Or only the ENGL??

I used to own a Triple Rectifier. It just wasn't the amp for me. But this amp is pretty much whatyouwant.com

Did you want a comparison of the two?

Latest posts

Back