VERY early dual rectifiers clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
Hi, by 'very early' i'm talking about the ones with the small Mesa logo on the front...

I'm just wondering if you like the sound of the clean channel and if it appears to be a lot more quiet that the 2nd channel?

My amp is R0050 and according to my tech who works for Boogie repairs in England the clean channels were a bit of an 'after thought' when these amps were made.

I believe from what I've read that the clean channel has been slightly improved on the newer models, but they still aren't anything amazing....

hey botch....i have rectos #29 and 339. to tell you the truth i've had them for a short time and when i've played them it's been all higain red channel (because it's so good!). i've dabbled in the clean channel honestly for about 10 minutes. this weekend i'll probably play 'em out and will test them versus the clean of my 3ch DR. I can honestly say though I am really suspecting the new 3ch will beat them by a good margin tone-wise. It DOES appear more quiet than the hi-gain channels, BUT there's a solution that mesa themselves thought of.

If you look at the back of the amp, there is a small lettering that appears where the "orange channel gain" black switch is. Where it says clean, it says "set master at 7-10". Basically what this tells me, as i understand it, is that you need to put your clean channel master volume knob at at least 7 (i guess 2:00 in oclock) for it to be comparable to the volume of your higain red channel. If your red gain is very loud, set it all the way up to 10, which is maxed out. Remember you can balance things very well by activating the loop and using the overall master volume. This will allow you to get great powertube saturation on the red gain channel so you don't have to turn up as loud to get good tone. By not having to turn up as loud, you can balance the clean a lot better.

let us know how it goes. Sorry if you already knew this stuff.

To add to this...how do you guys get more volume on your clean channel with out having the gain cranked and the clean being...well not so clean..I am using the solo switch right now but it gets rather akward when you have to change channels.

use the master volume knob by engaging the fx loop. crank that puppy and it allows you to run your channel master much lower.

Cheers for the tip, dude! Would you recommend running the master completely maxed out? By engaging the FX loop is the tone affected?!

to answer your second question, i haven't ran enough tests to see if the fx loop adds gain as it does with my 3ch. i assume it may add some gain because you engage an extra tube. Honestly tho these rectos actually sound better when you add gain because they saturate so well. The extra gain could theoretically affect your clean tho....

Anyways, lots of theorizing there....You could try to run your Output all the way, but you'd have to put the channel masters VERY low. I've never tried this nor heard of anyone do it. I guess you could be the first! i don't know how it would sound. I usually just achieve a balance--I have my Output between 12 and 230, depending on room size, and put my channel up until it's loud enough. I don't think I've ever gotten my channel volume past 10 oclock when I do this.

Let us know your results.

If you want to improve the clean channel even futher, try different preamp tubes. I put a reissue Tung Sol in V1 and it helped my clean. I have a really early Recto head and use both channels with OD pedals with great results.

Elpelotero said:
to answer your second question, i haven't ran enough tests to see if the fx loop adds gain as it does with my 3ch. i assume it may add some gain because you engage an extra tube. Honestly tho these rectos actually sound better when you add gain because they saturate so well. The extra gain could theoretically affect your clean tho....

Anyways, lots of theorizing there....You could try to run your Output all the way, but you'd have to put the channel masters VERY low. I've never tried this nor heard of anyone do it. I guess you could be the first! i don't know how it would sound. I usually just achieve a balance--I have my Output between 12 and 230, depending on room size, and put my channel up until it's loud enough. I don't think I've ever gotten my channel volume past 10 oclock when I do this.

Let us know your results.

Thanks again, I get my amp back from being serviced on Tuesday so I'll do a little write up very soon.

Id like to throw my theory into this discussion and I think it will solve allot of your issues. First, the key to getting a good clean sound is power-amp volume. The squeeze of the power tubes is what gives you the bounce and glassy-ness your looking for as well as girth to compete with the other channels in the clean channel. I know that cranking the output is about an unrealistic thought as you can get but I have a work-around. It has worked well on my Triple recto and I get some great clean sounds. Try putting your overall output @ noon(straight up). Turn your clean channel output all of the way off and then place your Gain all of the way up-(maxed). Presence is maxed. Now turn your Bass to 11 oclock(for my PRS Dragon 2's in my SG this works but depending on your circumstance you may need to adjust B-M-T settings). Place your Mids between 8 oclock and 9 oclock and your Treble @ 2 oclock. Now take your channel master and bring it up to your desired overall volume. This should give you a nice sparkle without overdriving the signal too much with great clean sustain, dynamics and compression from the maxed gain. What I have found is that the more Mids you introduce to the signal, the more gain you will see. Control Distortion through your mid-control and add sparkle with the Treble. I find these settings to be ballanced for my instrument. Now take the channel master from your other channels and turn them off as well in order to match the desired level. Hope this helps! :wink:

Botch said:
Micah: That sounds like a really interesting idea, I'll definately be trying that out. Cheers!

Good deal--let me know what you find! :wink:

Latest posts

Back