V30 vs C90 ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read other guys on this board say that V30's are better for distorted sounds and C90's for cleans and bottom end. I don't have any personal point of reference though and would also like to hear an experienced opinion.

I have 4 Bogner Cubes in which I have experimented with Vintage 30s, the G12H30s and the C-90s, with a Mesa Lonestar, a Mojave Scorpion, and (still unresolved), a H & K Access VS-250 Rig. In the past I have been mostly a Marshall-obsessive, but lately I have learned a bit more.

The Mesa definitely plays better with the C-90s, it definitely makes the neck pickup SRV tone as its most prominent thing. My Lonestar short-head is the poor-man's Two-Rock! A used Lonestar is just a great buy right now, probably like a Hiwatt was about 15 years ago. If you like the Fender tone, get a Lonestar. Man, there is a whole lot of classic songs played with that tone. CLEAN.

The Mojave Scorpion is an awesome Marshall clone, one of the best on the market, and is the current fave of Billy Gibbons. My diddling with this amp has led me not to V30s, but the G12H30s, which give you tones like on Billy Squires' "The Stroke", or AC/DC "It's a long way, to the top". . . G12H30s don't work good with a Fender tone, in my opinion.

For the H&K Access, my most rare preamp of all time, the jury is still out, I have not figured out the best speaker for that one, except to say that the VS-250 has 8 El-84's in there, so maybe it is most similar to a Vox, I don't really know. It's like high fidelity gain, love it or hate it, the Access still to this day is nearly unsurpassed in features in some ways. This thing even sounds good with an acoustic/electric. Too bad apparently no one would buy it (except me) :) Sound card Module B lives! The Access is my "mystery amp" ressurection project. Very High Tech.

I have c-90's in my lsc. Tried some other speakers in it(weber blue dog and silver bell ceramic) but went back to the c-90's. So I put the webers in an ext cab. and that sounds great combined with the C-90's. The C-90's seem to be warm, with a smooth upper end, and not an overly tight or loose bottom end. The V-30 I have (USA made) is similar but the highs are more pronounced(not as smooth or rolled off)), the mids stand out more, and the bottom is tighter. I think of the V-30 as a good stand alone 1x12 speaker. If you got the money and cab, try both. Combining different speakers gives you the best of both worlds.

Personally I like the C-90 better as a stand alone speaker, but the characteristics of both together compliment each other well. All just a matter of personal taste though.

The C-90 is a flatter speaker with a bigger, fatter, and rounder low end, a much smoother high end. Mids are neutral, if not a bit scooped.

The V30s is very edgy and aggressive. Sharp highs (sometimes harsh), a BUNCH of mids, and a sharper low end.

I have both speakers in an x-pattern in my cab, and I love them! Compliment each other perfectly! I had all V30s, and I felt the low end was lacking, and the highs were too piercing. Put in two C90s, and the highs are now MUCH smoother, along with a much bigger, and even tighter, low end.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
The C-90 is a flatter speaker with a bigger, fatter, and rounder low end, a much smoother high end. Mids are neutral, if not a bit scooped.

The V30s is very edgy and aggressive. Sharp highs (sometimes harsh), a BUNCH of mids, and a sharper low end.

I have both speakers in an x-pattern in my cab, and I love them! Compliment each other perfectly! I had all V30s, and I felt the low end was lacking, and the highs were too piercing. Put in two C90s, and the highs are now MUCH smoother, along with a much bigger, and even tighter, low end.

What head are you running into it?
I'm thinking of doing this exact thing with my 4 X12 cab.

I'm thinking of doing this exact thing with my 4 X12 cab.
As am I. My Roadster hasnt been cutting it for me lately, its too harsh and not bassy enough, so at this point I really want a Mark IV/V, but thats not very feasible, so I wanna make the best of what I have. I've been wanting to do this speaker combo for a while.

ibanez4life SZ! said:

I feel the same way about both speakers. I had my Recto cab set up with two C90s on top and the V30s on bottom and I loved it. I ended up going back to the stock configuration because I wanted more mids from the setup, and the C90s weren't cutting it.

Back