V30 in MKIV combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
I love the MKIV thru my 2X12 Recto cab much better than running the combo with the c90. Has anyone put a v-30 in the combo? I find that the combo speaker is a little too bright for my taste. I kinda wish I had just a head and not the whole combo...would make transport easier. My guess is that one v-30 would fart out with the IV running hard. Any thoughts?

I think it will add more grit and grind being that the C90 is a very clear speaker. Put that speaker in and let us know. :D

If you run it hard you'll probably smoke the V30, because it's only rated for 60 watts.

I love the V30 in a closed 2x12" or 4x12" cab, but it sounds like crap to me when put all alone in an open 1x12" thing. I tried it in a 1x12" JCM 800 combo once and got ample lows, way too much mids and hardly any highs.
The V30 works at it best when it can build up some pressure and that's exactly what it does in that great sounding recto 2x12" of yours.

Russ said:
t0aj15 said:
If you run it hard you'll probably smoke the V30, because it's only rated for 60 watts.

+1

Are you serious? How long would you have to run the Mark IV over 60 watts for the V30 to smoke?

Theoretically the first time you turn up your Mark IV running full power it could blow the 60 watt speaker.

Mark IV = 85 watts

V!N said:
I love the V30 in a closed 2x12" or 4x12" cab, but it sounds like crap to me when put all alone in an open 1x12" thing. I tried it in a 1x12" JCM 800 combo once and got ample lows, way too much mids and hardly any highs.
I have to disagree. My Traynor YCV-50 is an open back 1-12" combo that came with a V30 and it sounds fine.

I'm doing the swap also as I tested my Mark III with a EV and my Widebody 1x12 with a vintage 30 and, for my style, the vintage 30 was better everywhere. It will handle the power as long as you aren't running the amp pegged at 10.

If you run the MKIV in Tweed Mode, you'll be at about 55-60 watts. If you use 6v6's you'll be at about 40 watts. Either way, I wouldn't recomend it unless you can run in parallel with another cab. You have to remember that the MKIV's ratings are RMS (i.e. average) You can easily hit 120 watts peak! A couple of "chunka chunka's" in rythm can cause those peaks and/or some hard leads can cause those peaks. That's with the master at about 4-5!

Latest posts

Back