V25 for early Mark tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
Anyone trying to get Mark I or II tones out of the V25? I was going for what I considered an early Mark tone, wanting clean-ish, but sustaining, singing kind of thing you heard from older Marks. I think I've come up with something pretty good. V25 in Fat mode, treble 1:00, Mids 2:00 (the boost is key, so this is what I'll play with most to fine tune this. I've had it all the way cranked, but still experimenting and 2:00-3:00 seems to be a nice range) bass 9:00, Presence 1:00 (gives it s more open, touch sensitive vibe). Gain, so far I'm trying anywhere between 10:00-2:00. EQ off while working on the base tone, then on later for fine tuning if needed.

So far, these settings are some killer older Mark style bluesy, singing tones with my PRS NF3. 25 watt mode, volume at "wife not yelling yet" mode and I could just hold a note forever. I'm still not quite as bright as some of my favorite Santana tones, but in that area. May have to roll off more bottom end to get that. This tone is still pretty thick in the lower range compared to his. Also, if you have seen his "Tweaking at Woodstock" performance ( 8) ) these tones are very responsive to volume and tone controls (which are exceptional anyway on most PRS guitars). I'm thinking as great as this tone is, I really need to try the 25th Anniversary C22 Limited Semi-hollow with 57/08s! That should kill!!!

(Edit) I was using my Barber Compact Tone Press with these ones as well. And I tried the Timmy and SHO clone. But the basic tones with amp and the CTP were just killer!

Anyone else trying for those type of Mark tones with their V25?

I know I keep saying this, but he more I play the V25, the more I love this amp!!!

This amp so far is the only one that I can power up and play for two hours without touching a knob. Every setting sounds killer.
For "classic" Mark I and II styles I've simply turned down the gain on Mark IV mode. Around 9:00 or so with hot pickups sounds about right.
I know I keep saying this, but he more I play the V25, the more I love this amp!!!
This amp is special. Mesa got it right.

ryjan said:
This amp so far is the only one that I can power up and play for two hours without touching a knob. Every setting sounds killer.
For "classic" Mark I and II styles I've simply turned down the gain on Mark IV mode. Around 9:00 or so with hot pickups sounds about right.
This amp is special. Mesa got it right.

Here here! With every other amp I've had, I would inevitably start turning knobs at some point, trying to make it tighter or bigger or whatever. Not with this one. I just play for hours on end and haven't changed anything in months. Just the perfect tone. I can hear and feel everything I do.

The only problem is how much time flies by when playing thru it - I need more hours in the day :)

Ok, sorry for veering the thread off course. :)

Great stuff.

Anyone got any tips for how u utilise the crunch mode on channel 1 but also having a "basic" cleanish sound ?

Cheers.

Ryjan, thanks. I'll try that.

I had more time with those settings last night, but then after 15 minutes or say had to wander off to Mark IV mode for some therapy. 8)

Agree big time. This amp is special. I just love this thing!!!

BeYourself said:
Great stuff.

Anyone got any tips for how u utilise the crunch mode on channel 1 but also having a "basic" cleanish sound ?

Cheers.

I've had moderate success setting the Xtreme mode at super low gain for a "clean channel" if you keep the treble below noon as well. This was with my 245 which is the lowest output pickups I have. Xtreme seems to match up the best with the Crunch channel in volume/feel. Try it out and see what you think. It's not perfect...

Ryjan, I tried your settings. Obviously is more gain than I had with what I was using. The best part of that was, I could make it sound pretty much like my C1 settings, but with more gain, so channel switching between them was very nice.

Latest posts

Back