Using two mics?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what ive been taught and what i have read:

Is take one dynamic(sm57) mic your cab close, get the sound you want with it. Then take a condenser place it about 6-12 inches directly behind the dynamic mic. When you play, listen through the headphones with both mics equal in volume, you will here a jet like noise if they are out of phase. To put the mics in phase all you have to do, is move the condenser mic left and right until you know longer here the jet noise. Then record. thats it. This will give you a big sound. Nothing is going to give you that recorded sound unless you do some post eqing, compression, and other things. just my two cents man and i hope it works.

Just remember, if you utilize a condenser, the room you're recording in, whether good or bad, will start to creep into your sound. Just one more dynamic to think about.
:wink:

this is not true, it depends on the polar pattern the mic uses. if you choose omnidirectional or figure 8 i agree to your statement that the room comes in.

every good condenser - even if its a classic pressure gradient receiver - has the option for cardiod or hyper cardiod pattern which leave the room outside.

the big difference is the sensitivity and frequency range between dynamic
and condenser mics.

but you are right, for the beginner it might be easier to use a dynamic mic first for experience

sorry for the grainy picture, but i get a really good tone with this combination of sennheiser e906 and audix i5. since the audix gets better bass response in my experience, i have it on the sealed/ported speaker and more centered on the speaker. the e906 is a bit brighter so i got a less harsh tone by pointing it pretty far off to the side.

platuj5.jpg

if you record on a computer you can always adjust phasing later, just zoom all the way in and line up the waveforms.. it will never be perfect but you can fix it a lot.

you could also try miking the back of the cab and mixing it in. I've been getting good results this way

Platypus said:
I have been trying to get a 'bigger' and more professional recording sound.

Try making three guitar tracks. One hard right, one hard left, and another track in the center but with the high frequencies brought down a lot. Don't use too much gain of course.

I thought Jimmy Page mic'd the back of his cab.. a closed back cab? I believe the tale is that he close mic'd and then put one 10 ft back from the back of the cab..

A lot of Tommy's clips used to be direct - has he switched to miking now?

The Sennheiser E609 is darker to my ears than the SM57. THe E906 is just a 609 with switches and stuff.

I had pretty good luck with using a 57 off-axis on the dustcap, and a 609 on-axis on the boundary between the cone and the dustcap.

I don't know if a condenser is neccessary for a lot of us. I've almost bought one, but I know it'd just pick up my fatass next door neighbor singing or something, right when I'm trying to play a nuanced beautiful light guitar part. :p

phyrexia said:
The Sennheiser E609 is darker to my ears than the SM57. THe E906 is just a 609 with switches and stuff.

I had pretty good luck with using a 57 off-axis on the dustcap, and a 609 on-axis on the boundary between the cone and the dustcap.

+1 on the 609! I've heard a bunch of different styles recorded with them and they all sounded great!
Phyrexia do you have any sound clips you could share cuz i'd like to hear the 609 mixed with a SM57?

Latest posts

Back