Using the Slave on a mesa to drive another cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogboy131

Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting 2 DC10's (impossible to find right?)

I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE the tone of my DC-5 combo so will this work instead:

Output the 8 ohm output to one 4x12.
Place FX in the loop of the DC5
Output the Slave to an External Tube Poweramp into a seperate 4x12

Will the tone be the same into the additional cab (bar a little coloring by the separate power amp of course?) Will my additional Cab also have the FX from the combos loop?

Do this instead

Instead of using the slave out. Put processor in the loop of your main amp like you said (assuming your using a stereo processor) use right side to feed the other poweramp and cabinet setup.

I believe the slave out on your amp is before the effects loop so you lose effects running the way you suggested (but I’m not positive)

Yep I do have a stereo option on my FX so I can try it. Anyone else know which would be the best to way to do it?

I got another option for you but it’s probably more than what you are looking for. Tap the slave out of your DC5 with whatever processor you are using send the stereo outputs of the processor to a stereo poweramp like a Mesa 20/20 and of course poweramp to your other cabinet. Kill the direct signal in the processor. DC5 for direct signal and other poweramp and cabinet for “pure” effect signal (of course you can do the same thing with a mono power amp just be running effects in mono.)

6L6C said:
I got another option for you but it’s probably more than what you are looking for. Tap the slave out of your DC5 with whatever processor you are using send the stereo outputs of the processor to a stereo poweramp like a Mesa 20/20 and of course poweramp to your other cabinet. Kill the direct signal in the processor. DC5 for direct signal and other poweramp and cabinet for “pure” effect signal (of course you can do the same thing with a mono power amp just be running effects in mono.)

Hmm...I am buying a Carvin 100 Tube poweramp today.

My problem with taht is if I mic it up live, I will either get no FX via the DC-5 cab, or over wet FX through the other cab. It would kick *** if more soundguys would not **** their pants if you ask to mic 2 cabs..haha.

GREAT idea though...Esp for rehersal!

So just to get it straight:

Guitar > DC5 . 4x12

Slave of DC > FX STEREO out into the L R of my Carvin power amp into 2 4x12 cabs.

So I would have 3 cabs going! One with a direct from the DC5 and 2 from the Carvin wet with FX...Jesus. That sounds sexy on paper!

Yeah. That's called a WET/DRY/WET setup. It's sweet. :D

The slave out is split straight from the speaker outs, by the way. So it gives you the full sound of the amp, capturing the pre- and poweramp sound.

Just as 6L6C said, remember to use the killdry function on your effects processor. This way, you'll have ONLY effects going stereo on the left and right cabs and only pure dry from the center cab. :D

Oh, and when they mic the cabs, tell them to pan the right cab hard right, left cab hard left and the center cab... well, center. :) No biggie.

I run a W/D/W setup using my Mark IV and a 1-15" cab as the center (dry) amp and use the slave out on the Mk IV to drive my stereo efx which then feed a Boogie 50/50 poweramp into two 1-12" cabs for the stereo (wet) cabs. It's the best sounding rig I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back