Using smaller speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbrusso

Reaction score
Hi gang,
I have an Express 5:50 that I really enjoy playing, but in our small practice room the volume needed to make the amp sound good is quite loud.
I have the external speaker jack on the amp and was wondering about using a smaller speaker, like an 8 inch. So long as the speaker has the correct impedance and I don't push too much power to it, shouldn't I be able to build a small enclosure with a small speaker in it to reduce the room volume?

I see guys putting pillows and all manner of things in front of their cabinets to reduce the stage volume, just wondering why not run a smaller speaker or speakers?

Best regards
Larry

I bought an Eminence Maverick attenuating speaker for mine. Sounds very good when it is turned down. As a bonus I think it is a much better sounding speaker than stock. It costs about $145 though if that's a concern.
Here's a link for more info:

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Maverick

I'm not connected to this company in any way, I just like my speaker.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. I'll sure look into attenuating speakers. I wonder, is the attenuation active or just some type of R/C tank? And again, if I just buy an 8 inch standard speaker with an 8 ohm impedance and put it in a small enclosure, what would be the difference?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Larry

There's a knob on the speaker mag. I'm not sure how it works but it changes the efficiency of the speaker.
On using a smaller speaker, your going to lose some bottom end.
If you go with an 8" let us know if it works out.

The problem with what you're proposing to do is that just because a speaker is physically smaller doesn't mean it will not be as loud. If you get an 8 inch speaker which can handle the power you're sending to it, it will probably be every bit as loud as what you have now, just more focused. If it can't handle the power, it'll blow.
I'd go with the Eminence attenuating speaker option. I've heard good things about them.

Hey thanks folks!
Thinking about it logically, the problem has as much to do with the power of the signal going to the speaker as anything.
Connect a 12" speaker to a transistor radio and you're not going to get any louder.

Thanks to y'all, I'm convinced that an attenuating speaker is the way to go. So I will look at an Eminence and let ya know.
Thanks again for everyone's time.

Best regards
Larry

Latest posts

Back