using silent recording w/ Mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
My F-30 has a silent record feature. There is a speaker mute switch on the back of the amp instead of a pull knob for silent.

anybody use this? can you use headphones with it? can you get power tube distortion as well or will it be like using headphone with a JMP-1 (preamp distortion only - no balls or complex harmonics)?

That's pretty much what you'll get with headphones...

Here's a song I recorded a while back using the record out on my Mark IV into the line in on my soundcard. The rhythm is all record out and sounds very sterile but decent I guess. The lead parts were close miced with an SM57...

http://webtest.itdec.com/itdec/round%20town.mp3

My Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum has a font panel 1/4" input, so I didn't need an adapter. Micing it will always sound better IMO though...

i use acid pro 6.0d for all recording i do..

I was just using it the other day for scratch tracks on a new song. You won't get any kind of power tube interaction at all as the signal is taken from the preamp. I'm on the fence about the sound of it... By itself it seems pretty blah but when dropped in with drums and bass, it's actually kind of a cool sound that seems to fit well without much EQ. You're not dealing with proximity effect of a mic or the bass response of a cabinet either. So I think it's an option worth looking into...

But then you go and play back what a 4x12 sounds like mic'ed 2-3 feet in front of the cab and it's no question haha.

I've used the recording out feature a little. I havn't finished anything with it but it's good for scratch tracks. I've been playing around with running it through a cab simulator in my BR1180CD and it sounds pretty decent.

I will probably use it for rythm tracks and may double some lead parts just for ease of use.

Scott

Back