Using Mark 4 + zoom G.2 : How do I bypass all amp settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scart-molotov

Reaction score
Heya guys, first ? on the boards, couldn't find similar so here goes:

Ok, this is probably a strange questions. I bought a black mark 4 about 18/20 years ago, used it for years but eventually "Life Occurred" & it was put aside. Started using it again a few years back but needed a serious noise gate in order to play my style of music, got a Zoom G2.1u and found that it's "mk3 boogie emulation" mode, after weeks of tweaking levels, distortion, EQ, fx, noise gate, etc, worked better for recording than the boogie's line out.

I've been traveling ultra light & using just the ibanez & zoom (straight into the PA) for small gigs/rehearsals but have decided to start trying to get the mk 4 ready for live work again.

I'm wondering what's the best way to use the mk4 along w/ the zoom without the amps settings throwing my overall sound out or altering it too much, i.e. which is the best channel to run through to let the G2 pedal dictate the overall sound & the best way to turn off or neutralize the mk4's eq, tone, treble, mid and use it's amplification capability more than it's "tone shaping" qualities.

When I get the time I'll work out the best way to dial back the zooms "boogie emulation" setting back and let the mesa speak for it's self but for upcoming gigs I'm mostly after it's volume/punch capacity.

Any advice is appreciated.
cheers
SCART of
The MOLOTOV
sound samples are at:
http://www.myspace.com/themolotov1

So you basically want to use your Mark IV as a power amp.

That's simple,

Run your guitar into your zoom, and run the output of the zoom into your effects loop return and make sure the effects loop is on. In fact I think Boogie suggests this in the manual. I don't think the channel makes a difference (it may, but I don't think so). I do know that the EQ is behind the loop so make sure you have the EQ turned off.

Now, I have a hard time believing the zoom is going to sound better then the Mark IV for live applications if you are going through a good guitar cabinet. So definately do as you have suggested and play with the settings when you have time. You might want to have a tech take a look at it if you are having noise issues that are unusual (meaning if you are running with a strat on the lead channel with the gain up, it will absolutely be noisy).

Recording from a line out never sounds good with tube amps (I assume you meant the recording out which is better then the slave out, but not as good as a miced cab).

I get mine to sound good, but the term is relative. It still in no way can compete with and SM57 on the grill of a speaker cabinet

primal said:
So you basically want to use your Mark IV as a power amp.

That's simple,

Run your guitar into your zoom, and run the output of the zoom into your effects loop return and make sure the effects loop is on. In fact I think Boogie suggests this in the manual. I don't think the channel makes a difference (it may, but I don't think so). I do know that the EQ is behind the loop so make sure you have the EQ turned off.

Now, I have a hard time believing the zoom is going to sound better then the Mark IV for live applications if you are going through a good guitar cabinet. So definately do as you have suggested and play with the settings when you have time. You might want to have a tech take a look at it if you are having noise issues that are unusual (meaning if you are running with a strat on the lead channel with the gain up, it will absolutely be noisy).

Recording from a line out never sounds good with tube amps (I assume you meant the recording out which is better then the slave out, but not as good as a miced cab).

I get mine to sound good, but the term is relative. It still in no way can compete with and SM57 on the grill of a speaker cabinet

Cheers for that Primal, seems you're right on all accounts. Did what you said and pretty much got a great (& MUCH F*%#ING LOUDER) reproduction of the sound I'm used to. As you said, the EQ can affect your sound if it's on but that's a good thing as it allows me to fatten it up even more. Will be dedicating a full day soon to working out the best way to turn off only the "mk3 amp emulation" setting on the zoom (which works surprisingly well, and sounds even better coming through the actual mesa) & dialing in the amp's own voice. Means I'm going to have to go back to the wonderful world of multi foot switching (switch channels on mesa/switch fx on the zoom) through songs without f'n up but will be worth the juggling.

cheers muchly for ya help, greatly appreciated.

SCART

After years of playing with a lot of FX ****, I ended up with the simplest of all setups.
Guitar > Amp (must be Mesa Mark series) > Cabinet.

I might have a Noise gate in front of the amp to eliminate feedback, when playing very loud, and a FX unit in the loop, for delays and such. But there is nothing else that sounds right for me than pure mesa mark series amp tone. And the Mark IV is one of them. An absolutely killer amp.

Tubes are very important. The preamp tubes shapes the voice of the amp a lot more than the power tubes. I happen to love the mesa (russian 2) 12ax7 tubes, which is available in stores, but if that's your taste, no one but you can say.
I am sure your amp will sound a lot better on its own. Good luck.

Btw is it a head or combo?

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, a combo. While I agree re: the sound being better, the noise gate, even set to it's highest setting, seems unable to stop the feedback since I have the distortion set to basically 10 to get avery dense "EXODUS" style sound for the heavy stuff.
cheers
SCART

The MOLOTOV

tony777 said:
After years of playing with a lot of FX sh!t, I ended up with the simplest of all setups.
Guitar > Amp (must be Mesa Mark series) > Cabinet.

I might have a Noise gate in front of the amp to eliminate feedback, when playing very loud, and a FX unit in the loop, for delays and such. But there is nothing else that sounds right for me than pure mesa mark series amp tone. And the Mark IV is one of them. An absolutely killer amp.

Tubes are very important. The preamp tubes shapes the voice of the amp a lot more than the power tubes. I happen to love the mesa (russian 2) 12ax7 tubes, which is available in stores, but if that's your taste, no one but you can say.
I am sure your amp will sound a lot better on its own. Good luck.

Btw is it a head or combo?

Back