Using a road king for direct recording?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay22

Reaction score
Alright. I know that most would scoff at the idea, but here at my house I dont have any mics. I usually record at a friends place but I like to program my drums and lay down tracks here in my office. I used to use a little pedal to do this but I have a road king. Haha!

Anyway, is it possible to use the slave out jack on the back of this amp and feed it to the in jack of my soundcard or will this cause some sort of damage to the amp at all?

Thanks.

You still have to have a cab plugged into the amp. The line out comes from the power tube/tranny section of the amp.

If I remember correctly the preamp is always live, so you could run the amp/mains in standby and use the effects send, but you might find the tone lacking since the power section will be excluded from the tone.

Another option is running a load/dummy/speaker emulator box.

you can use the slave out or effects out but it sounds like complete crap, your going to have a very raw sound without the power amp section. If i were you I'd save up for a mic and a usb recording interface (i use an mbox2). doing things the right way will sound a billion times better.

I'm not completely posititve maybe someone can confirm but you can also try getting an attenuator, im not positive but certain ones will have emmulated outs that will give you a speaker cab sim

thd hotplates have a line out that you can run direct in and also lower vol levals or have no vol with the hotplate on load setting, sounds good too

I use my RK for recording using a Digitech GSP 1101 taking the direct outs from the GSP into the board, and a Hot Plate to tame the beast (attenuate the amp) so I can record and play all night.

The GSP is interesting in that you can put its overdrive and stomp box stuff (which I rarely use) in front of the amp and put all the delay, chorus and reverb in the loop. Also has speaker simulation on the direct outs, and although this might not suit some purists I love the sound I get this way.
This allows me to hear the exact sound I am getting in cubase as its recording, and also I use this setup for practice, at bedroom volumes.

I will post some clips when I can get time.

155 said:
thd hotplates have a line out that you can run direct in and also lower vol levals or have no vol with the hotplate on load setting, sounds good too

i havent used it to record but throwing that into a headphone amp, it sounds pretty good if you have good headphones

The amp without a speaker will sound very harsh, raw, inresponsive and not at all like your used to hearing it!

If not using a mic, I'd save up for a Palmer speaker simulator. They also provide a load for your speaker outs. And they sound very good too!

I do two things (having done this so far with a JSX with line out):

1. Line out to Guitar Rig 3, using speaker sims only. Sounds really nice, and the upshot of that is you can change the speaker model after the fact, for tuning to taste. The new "XE" version is only $100 and comes with 12 different speaker models, among other things.

2. Palmer PDI-09. This is the speaker emulation section of the PDI-03, used most famously by Satriani. It's got 3 different "speaker models", all quite musical. Works great live too.

With either one, I use a Hot Plate at load for silent recording when the 11 month old is sleeping.

:D

thanks to everyone for the good advice. A couple of points were brought up that I didnt even think about. Im glad I asked!!!

polaris20 said:
Line out to Guitar Rig 3, using speaker sims only. Sounds really nice, and the upshot of that is you can change the speaker model after the fact, for tuning to taste. The new "XE" version is only $100 and comes with 12 different speaker models, among other things.

+1. I do that with my preamp using different cab simulations. Nowhere near as good as using a mic, but it works.

Here's a quick clip I did using the RK direct through the GSP 1101. (see post above) Please excuse the playing, just making it up on the spot.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6611412

Back