USED GEAR...NOT ALWAYS UNDER WARRANTY

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippdogs

Reaction score
UPDATE: Mesa contacted me and granted me the warranty transfer!!!!!! They said that I had acted in an honest manner and should not be penalized for being truthful......NOW HOW'S THAT FOR LOVE! Mesa Rocks!!!!!

I was surprised to learn a very important fact about the 5-year transferable warranty on Mesa gear. If you buy USED/TRADE-IN gear from any non-mesa dealer, the warranty is void. Even if you purchase used gear from a Guitar Center, NOT ALL GUITAR CENTERS ARE MESA DEALERS. So, any music store (that is not a mesa dealer) that sells used mesa gear voids the warranty. If you trade in your gear to a music store that is NOT a Mesa Dealer, it voids the warranty. ONLY AN OFFICIAL MESA DEALER CAN OFFER YOU THE TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY ON USED GEAR. However, if you buy used gear from an individual, who purchased it from a legitimate Mesa dealer, the warranty is transferable IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE, or, IF THE GEAR HAS BEEN REGISTERED BY THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER WITH MESA. (and even then, mesa prefers an original bill of sale)

So when does the 5-year warranty transfer apply?

1. You purchase your used gear from an official Mesa Dealer
2. You purchase your used gear from someone who bought from a Mesa Dealer AND supplies original receipt.
3. You purchase your used gear from someone who bought from a Mesa Dealer AND had registered it with Mesa, (you still may need a proof of purchase to register it with Mesa)

Trust me, they are pretty flexible when it comes to that policy.

It's mainly to protect them against hacks doing stuff to the amps and them having to fix it up after. They want a continuous paper trail of who owned it.

I take it you bought a used amp, that you thought would have been under warranty but it wasn't ?

Actually, I spoke to two customer reps who were very patient with me in explaining that this is NOT a flexible policy. They are looking for a chain of ownership that originates from a Mesa Dealer....this is true. However, in no uncertain terms....the warranty is void if sold AT ANY POINT, by a non authorized store. And yes, I purchased a Mesa Head with 4 years left on warranty. The musician I bought it from had purchased it used from an unauthorized Guitar Center...therefore....the warranty was void. YIKES! This of course also applies to any use of non-mesa tubes!!! which is somewhat common knowledge. I was simply unaware of the policy concerning used gear from non-dealer music stores. Let me also say....I don't anticipate having any problem with the head I purchased....it is killer!

Well, in 2005, I bought a 2003 rectoverb from Long and Mcquade in Ottawa before they were officially allowed to sell MB in Ottawa. When I called about the warranty, they had no problem transferring it for me. This isn't the only time I've transferred a warranty on a MB. I've never needed a bill of sale or anything like that. This is why I said it's flexible. Maybe they have changed their stance on this since?

I do agree that letting members of this board know about MB's policy regarding this. It is a weird quirk in the warranty that people should be aware of, and I believe it impacts the value of in-vs-out of warranty amps.

The non-mesa tubes warranty thing is a myth too, there are some third party tubes that mesa recognizes as suitable replacements, of course it's always a good idea to match them up to the amp. Unless you have a tube tester it's usually cheaper to just get mesa tubes (opposed to paying someone to test a bunch of tubes to see if they are in spec with your amp). Some people prefer to have some control over the bias and other people (Like Randall Smith) believe that power tubes should last as long as possible and your tone should be consistent through the life of the tubes. It's a matter of choice really.

Even knowing that MB amps are very tolerant of tube differences, using seriously out of spec tubes in a mesa boogie amp, you are risking more than just your warranty.

The cost of installing a bias adjustment in your amp can easily cover the cost of tubes for many years in your amp.

Let me assure you that I am not writing this from my opinion. USING NON-MESA TUBES IS GROUNDS FOR VOIDING THE WARRANTY. This is exactly what I was told by customer service. Directly.

Now, I do not believe that these guys are hard-as#es, they are simply trying to follow policy. If new Mesa owners simply register their amps and hold on to the receipt, this should not prove to be a big issue. In fact, I transferred the ownership of a used Mesa Lonestar Special to my name by phone....that was all that was required, due to the fact the previous owner bothered to register his amp! I can't believe that people spend thousands of dollars on amplifiers and then never bother to register the warranty with the company.....please!

hippdogs said:
I can't believe that people spend thousands of dollars on amplifiers and then never bother to register the warranty with the company.....please!
Is it too late for me to send in the warranty card for my MKIV?
I bought it in 92..... :wink:

When I brought my Express 5:50 in for warranty service I was asked when and where I bought it. The tech did not ask to see my receipt though. My amp needed a replacement Accutronics reverb tank and they didn't care to see the original.

The amp came with the warranty written out and there are a lot of details about transferring the warranty.

BTW, a company cannot make filling out the mail in warranty card a stipulation for the warranty. That's the law (they can say it is if they want to). They might be able to use it against you transferring the warranty.

My experience with Mesa is that, unlike many other companies, they actually want to help you with issues but, like other companies, also need to protect their interests.

Interesting! I recently bought a Nomad used from an authorized Mesa music store. I have no problems with it, but did check and found out that it could have been built and sold any time between 1999 and 2006. I received no paperwork with it. I suppose the serial number would tell us something -- at least when it was built -- but where is the serial number on a Nomad 55 2X12? If (as I suspect by its condition) it was built in 2006, there could be a couple of years of warranty left on it.

Also, let me comment on the situation (legally) with non-Mesa tubes. Of course, the non-Mesa tubes themselves would not be covered by Mesa's warranty. But for Mesa to say that other problems with the amp were not covered by the warranty because non-Mesa tubes had been used, they (in court) would have the burden of proof in establishing that the other problems were caused directly by the non-Mesa tubes to avoid warranty coverage for the other problems. That's Federal law. I'm not borrowing trouble here as the used amp I bought has Mesa tubes. But from what I know about tube electronics (not an expert, but more than most) the only problem that non-Mesa tubes would cause was crappy sound WHILE THE TUBES WERE IN THE AMP. In other words, as my amp has 12ax7s and 6L6s, the installation of other brands of tubes with these designations would not void the warranty on other components of the amp unless Mesa could prove that the non-Mesa tubes caused "collateral damage". I know these facts as I am a lawyer, a sports car enthusiast, and am a friend of a GM of a sports car dealership -- and these warranty questions usually come up regarding sports car mods -- but the law applies to all products.

Now, none of this legal business has anything to do with my recommendation that all of us "Mesa drivers" stick with Mesa tubes. Not because of the warranty or the law, but because of the tone and the durability. They are tested to be within specs for our amps. They are reasonably priced compared to other tubes that claim to be so tested. And they offer most of us "Mesa drivers" some choices, dependent on our tone goals. Because of these factors, I have personally installed Mesa tubes in non-Mesa amps! I am adding this disclaimer because of my statement of what the law is in the paragraph above. No, use of non-Mesa tubes won't void the warranty on other parts of your Mesa amp unless it is proven that those tubes caused "collateral damage", but why would you want to use non-Mesa tubes?

Well said, well spoken.
I had my Lonestar fixed a couple of times and there wasn't a big hassle. They are just saying there is a limit to what we will do if something goes south with your amp. I wouldn't buy a used Ford from Billy's Auto, and then expect Ford to honor the "Factory Warranty" without some kind of hassle. Buyer Beware!
As for tubes, if you don't like Mesa's tubes, don't use them. But don't expect Mesa to fix your amp if non-Mesa power tubes cause the problem. The tubes are only good covered for six months anyway and you will have to show the original receipt for the tubes and your amp if something goes wrong. I had to do that when I had some problems.
Not a big deal either, but it is a good idea to save all your paperwork an all major purchases. Peace.

I am fortunate to live close to Mesa, so when I took my used, out of warranty TremOverb to them for repair, they replaced what they said were original, and problematic LDR's for no charge. How's that for customer service ?

mike

Dolebludger said:
Interesting! I recently bought a Nomad used from an authorized Mesa music store. I have no problems with it, but did check and found out that it could have been built and sold any time between 1999 and 2006. I received no paperwork with it. I suppose the serial number would tell us something -- at least when it was built -- but where is the serial number on a Nomad 55 2X12? If (as I suspect by its condition) it was built in 2006, there could be a couple of years of warranty left on it.

Also, let me comment on the situation (legally) with non-Mesa tubes. Of course, the non-Mesa tubes themselves would not be covered by Mesa's warranty. But for Mesa to say that other problems with the amp were not covered by the warranty because non-Mesa tubes had been used, they (in court) would have the burden of proof in establishing that the other problems were caused directly by the non-Mesa tubes to avoid warranty coverage for the other problems. That's Federal law. I'm not borrowing trouble here as the used amp I bought has Mesa tubes. But from what I know about tube electronics (not an expert, but more than most) the only problem that non-Mesa tubes would cause was crappy sound WHILE THE TUBES WERE IN THE AMP. In other words, as my amp has 12ax7s and 6L6s, the installation of other brands of tubes with these designations would not void the warranty on other components of the amp unless Mesa could prove that the non-Mesa tubes caused "collateral damage". I know these facts as I am a lawyer, a sports car enthusiast, and am a friend of a GM of a sports car dealership -- and these warranty questions usually come up regarding sports car mods -- but the law applies to all products.

Now, none of this legal business has anything to do with my recommendation that all of us "Mesa drivers" stick with Mesa tubes. Not because of the warranty or the law, but because of the tone and the durability. They are tested to be within specs for our amps. They are reasonably priced compared to other tubes that claim to be so tested. And they offer most of us "Mesa drivers" some choices, dependent on our tone goals. Because of these factors, I have personally installed Mesa tubes in non-Mesa amps! I am adding this disclaimer because of my statement of what the law is in the paragraph above. No, use of non-Mesa tubes won't void the warranty on other parts of your Mesa amp unless it is proven that those tubes caused "collateral damage", but why would you want to use non-Mesa tubes?

Im probably the most out of warranty of all of you. I picked up my nomad 100 at Guitar Center, it had EHX tubes in it, no paper work and the thing was built in 1999! :lol: Either way it still works and I can usually fix problems with an amp so I'm ok.

The serial number on a Nomad is under the chassis by the footswitch jack and FX loop. If you want to find out what year it was made, take the chassis out of the amp and look around on the pc board. On mine it says 1999 in white near the input jack

I just checked the serial number (#00461) on my Nomad 55 2X12, and found that it left the factory in December, 1999. No warranty for me either. I actually did not think there would be any factory warranty on this amp when I bought it so no harm, no foul. But his does make me wonder if the tubes are from 1999 too. Now the amp looks like some guy got it, put it in his closet, and let it sit and kept it dusted for almost ten years.

Latest posts

Back