Upgraded C+ Get it while it lasts.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-II-C-/260631450807?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caed854b7

I have to start adjusting my prices. I have been giving them away.

A fully loaded DRGX in a hardwood cabinet in pristine condition fetches 5000 or so in Europe. But an upgraded C+.
1800-2200 in a good market. You never know though, you can list it for 10,000. It only takes the right buyer at the right time.

He has this amp on Craigslist in Boulder, CO for $5000. Advertised as a 1970's Mesa IIC+. Too many non-fat carmal mocciato frappachinos. :roll:

...and a 0 feedback rating. Sure. Where do I send the money? :roll:

haha Dave,

give one away to me! hehe I bought a quad preamp to go along with my 2:90, and now all i can think about is getting a IIC+! How are the 60 watt versions?

scott

boogie mark series amps, especially the more scarce ones like the c+, and hardwood models, seem to inspire some serious greed on the internet.
its really obnoxious especially since these were meant to be played, not passed around like a groupie.
i'm glad i got rid of every c+ i ever had. they are great amps, but come on, look at what these things are going for these days. its insane. most loaded models go for $2500+! f that. i'll take 2 and a half mark III's, or 2 mark IV's over a c+ for that kind of loot.

Your right, Jim. I'm 100% agreeance with you on that one. One of the reasons I don't actively look for a IIC+...but again, honestly I don't have to because my III's give me everything I want/need in an amp. If anything, the next move that would make the most sense to me would be to purchase a Mark IV to give me seperate channels.

~Nep~

2500-3500 for a nice C+ is worth it. I don't see the issue. It's a rare amp and supply and demand will dictate price.
There are plenty of amps that costs a heck of a lot more out there. Diezel, Bogner, Marsha, the list goes on. They can reach up to 4000+
Are they any better? Do they sound the same as the C+? It's all a matter or what someone is willing to pay for that tone.
The point is this guy was trying to price gouge what he thought was a 7000 dollar amp. That is ridiculous. If you look at the auction
now he has come into reality. I bet it doesn't sell for that. He could have at least taken a cleaning rag to the darn thing.

If the Mark III or IV gives you all you need, that is great, you are money ahead. With all that being said, I would not trade a loaded C+ for 5 Mark III's, 3 Mark IV's, or 2 mark V's. :twisted:
I attempted for a few years to get the "C+ mojo" from several 3 channel Mark series amps, with no authentic success. These include both versions of the Mark IV, a purple and 2 green stripe simul heads, and red and blue stripe Coliseum heads. These are the ones that I owned and do not include the no stripe and red stripe simul mark III and Mark V that I A/B'd with my C+ amps. If you cannot compare the C+ side by side to the other Marks, you may never hear the difference. It is more about response to pick attack than tone or gain. Also, if you are a mainly a high gain "Metal" player, you will likely prefer the hard edged aggression of the Mark III to the C+.

JOEY B. said:
If the Mark III or IV gives you all you need, that is great, you are money ahead. With all that being said, I would not trade a loaded C+ for 5 Mark III's, 3 Mark IV's, or 2 mark V's. :twisted:
I attempted for a few years to get the "C+ mojo" from several 3 channel Mark series amps, with no authentic success. These include both versions of the Mark IV, a purple and 2 green stripe simul heads, and red and blue stripe Coliseum heads. These are the ones that I owned and do not include the no stripe and red stripe simul mark III and Mark V that I A/B'd with my C+ amps. If you cannot compare the C+ side by side to the other Marks, you may never hear the difference. It is more about response to pick attack than tone or gain. Also, if you are a mainly a high gain "Metal" player, you will likely prefer the hard edged aggression of the Mark III to the C+.

Joey B, I've heard many of each..many times over. I've let many C+ slip by me in sales throughout my years of playing. I never thought the significance of it was that big to the later III's, so I never bothered. I STILL don't hear that much difference today. When you actually turn these Mark's UP.. I mean UP!!..not bedroom volume, it's quite hard to distinguish what the hell is really going on between the two. Once you get the power section thumpin', it just sounds the same to me, and *not* including the addition at the other end of the tonal spectrum like guitar,pick-ups,speakers,tubes,etc.

~Nep~

The magnitude of the differences lies in the ears of the beholder.

The are different,both in sound and design , but in some cases,( bad acoustics,different preferences ,and all the other varibles may fade those difference, thats have sound works.

I have not a/b tested a c+ and a makr 3, but i did have a quad pre and a 295 simul class, that let me a/b the pre amp section of a IIc and a mark 3, the difference is huge and i almost never used the mark3 channel , but with a band and ear plugs the difference becomes alot smaller, but in a studio, or eny other situation, the are two very different beasts IMO, that is not to say the are worlds apart in sound but IMO the c+ is less compressed and fizzy, and not as focused, that is make or brake differences in my book , when i chose a amplifire.

Neptical said:
JOEY B. said:

Joey B, I've heard many of each..many times over. I've let many C+ slip by me in sales throughout my years of playing. I never thought the significance of it was that big to the later III's, so I never bothered. I STILL don't hear that much difference today. When you actually turn these Mark's UP.. I mean UP!!..not bedroom volume, it's quite hard to distinguish what the hell is really going on between the two. Once you get the power section thumpin', it just sounds the same to me, and *not* including the addition at the other end of the tonal spectrum like guitar,pick-ups,speakers,tubes,etc.

~Nep~
DSC03771.jpg

Do I need to turn up louder to make them sound the same? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :?:

It's all good, I was just stating what I've noticed to MY ears.

Joey B...almost exact settings as mine. I can take a picture of mine on 5 too if you want. :p

~Nep~

Neptical said:
It's all good, I was just stating what I've noticed to MY ears.

Joey B...almost exact settings as mine. I can take a picture of mine on 5 too if you want. :p

~Nep~

It is all good, good guitar tone. It doesn't matter if it costs $300 or $3000.That picture is not a set-up. It was taken when I found a smokin' lead tone on my C+. Most people could not stand in the same room at that volume level for very long. :lol: :lol: The real deal is that the tone inspires you to play your best. Here are some other examples: EQ out, Class-A mode.
DSC03769.jpg

DSC03775.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

Sweet settings, Joey. 8)
Yep, still pretty close to mine.
You can run your bass pretty high without it flubbing out?
I'm sure the tone is definitely pretty smokin'.
smiley-cool10.gif

~Nep~

Great lead settings :)

Just tried it out, i have been so focued on rythmen guitars so much that i havent really gone around creating a good lead sound, but the extra mids and bass , makes some very tasty lead sounds.

gts said:
JimAnsell said:
its really obnoxious especially since these were meant to be played, not passed around like a groupie.
Anybody here on the board keep their C+ in a glass case and not seeing any play time as Jim suggests?
Or trade back and forth just so you can say you own one?

Fwiw what I have get's used/ played. Not just at home but in clubs, practice, where ever me and the electric guitar go to play, a C+ has been there too.
I'm sure the same is true for many many other C+ owners if not all.

An interesting thing: most people/ musicians I meet don't have a clue what a IIC+ is. All most of them think/ say when they hear Mesa is that "those are loud amps".
Many "might" know the model name "Mark" but they don't know anything about the model.
When asked about my amp I just say it's a "Mesa Mark series amp".
(And I'm getting asked because they are complimenting "my tone" and want to know what I'm playing through!! It happens quite often!!
And this NEVER happened when I used to take the MKIII with me!!)

Personally I think if the C+ would cost the same as other Mark series models the naysayers and C+ detractors on the board would "gush" over the amp. The cost/ money seems to be the "big problem" that many if not most detractors have with them. This especially seems to be true amongst many MkIII owners.

I took a huge gamble when I 'dove in' and bought a C+ off ebay (it was a lot of money!). But the gamble was based on those here who knew the C+.
I have never looked back. The story is posted somewhere.
And as mentioned many times my MkIII which I bought new in 1986 has sat idle/ unused 99.9% of the time ever since.

Joey has offered incredible amounts of comparative data on the board as relates to the his C+'s and many other Mesa Mark series amps (search his threads).
He's one of the most neutral observers I have come to know (and we have talked live many many times).
Yet unfortunately many people flippantly "dismiss" his offerings/ observations.
After seeing this time and time again I have come to see all the naysayers as simply being of the "sour grape" mentality.
I feel blessed to own the C+ and perhaps I too would be of the "the "sour grape" mentality if I could not have found and afforded to buy one of these VERY special amps. It is truly a blessing and an honor to have and play through one on a regular basis.

Rock on with whatever you have and can afford! But please just stop the sour grape crap and admit to yourself that if you could, you would own one too.
This in not directed at anyone in particular but to all C+ naysayers. :wink:

+1
Amen
Take That
Whatever

Well put George!
Jim

Latest posts

Back