Upgrade Recto's transformer to Mercury or DeYoung?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEVEL4

Reaction score
I bought a used Single-Rectifier Solo 50 Series II head recently. I was wondering if you can do your own output transformer upgrade with either a Mercury Magnetics or DeYoung transformer without having to send it somewhere all the way across the country like Voodoo Amps or someplace. Anyone done this themselves?

Neither. It's costly, likely reduces the value of your amp, and changing tubes would have more effect than changing transformers.

A transformer change will affect the clarity, dynamics, touch response, pick and attack of the amp. In other words, the feel will be improved.

It depends on what transformer you use.

I have experimented with smaller amps like the Blues Jr, DC-2, Studio 22+, all the way to 50 & 100 watt amps.

The right transformer will make you smile from ear to ear, the wrong one will make you feel like you've just been raped.

A Mercury is expensive, but they do add tons of clarity and headroom.

Weber has them for less than the Mercury site. www.tedweber.com Talk to CJ.

The transformers in the Recto are good. I just think it'll be a waste of money and effort for you. Like I said, changing tubes will have more effect on your tone than changing transformers will.

To LEVEL4, why are you wanting to change the transformer? What sound are you trying to achieve that you think a tranny upgrade will get you that other avenues like different tubes, clean boosts, different settings, etc...won't?

This modification changes the OT to a Mercury. If you like the basic Rectifier sound, this Mod takes it to the next level and IMHO is worth the money.

I had a Dual Rec done after seeing the results of having a Peavey XXX upgraded with a Mercury OT. Very 3D, clear and harmonically rich. I bought a New DR, sent it to NY to have it done and LOVE it. Best Recifier I've owned or heard. (*I later sold the XXX, but it was the best sounding Peavey I had played)

Silverwulf said:
The transformers in the Recto are good. I just think it'll be a waste of money and effort for you. Like I said, changing tubes will have more effect on your tone than changing transformers will.

To LEVEL4, why are you wanting to change the transformer? What sound are you trying to achieve that you think a tranny upgrade will get you that other avenues like different tubes, clean boosts, different settings, etc...won't?
Well, the Voodoo clips really sounded good. And the FJA-modded 5150/6505 clips with upgraded OTs sound f*cking AMAZING! I definitely like the basic Recto sound (that's why I bought it!), I just think a bit less fizz and a hair more definition would only make it that much more awesome-sounding.

Just wondered which particular OT I would need for a Single-Recto, if anyone knew, so that I could save a few bucks, instead of shipping it across the country to Voodoo Amps, for a mod that seems simple enough to do yourself, or at least have done locally to save shipping costs and wear and tear. Thanks for everyone's replies!

the guys there will set you up.

you are going to need the 50watt version, they will be able to tell you which one.

I spent $300 for mine, but mine is the 100watt version.

I don't think you can get a DeYoung.

A Heyboer might work too, but I have no experience with those.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Have tried swapping out power and output trannies...in a Fender Silverface Champ. Put in a power tranny with more current so I could run 6l6, el34 or 6550 if I wanted to. Tried three different output trannies, and contrary to an earlier opinion, in my experience the output trannies had much more effect than changing out either pre or power tubes or speakers on basic tone and response of the amp...and I am a bit of a GAS tube and speaker guy too. In the case of a Mesa amp, I would not touch the power transformer, but the output tranny is fair game.

Very few guitar players contemplate changing output trannies on their amps. Tubes are much easier, as are speakers. I resonate with Monsta-tone on this thread, nothing is as good as doing the actual experiment. He has done it quite a few times. My hat's off to him, again. Can you do it? Hell yes! Not all that many wires need to be connected for either the power or output trannies. Just make sure you get them hooked up in the right places, or if you want, pay a qualified tech and better yet, watch the surgery in case you want to try another output tranny and DIY. Save the old tranny(s) just in case.

Mercury has a large selection of output trannies that would work for a single recto. Investigate the Axiom series. It's their top tier stuff. I have had wonderful experience with a Mercury Axiom Radiospares Enhanced model OT in my boutique Siegmund Blues Breaker. There is enough bottom end out of that tranny for chug, it's huge, as are the mids if so desired, and the top end is complex, incredibly rich in both even and odd order harmonics, the windings in that transformer are intricate, the original was in the very, very few first Marshall JTM45 bass amps and was both expensive to produce and purchase. Clean tone is to die for, has a very hifi quality to it with tons of detail. You hear each guitar's unique sounds. There are primary impedance tap choices on that tranny that when properly selected will match the necessary primary impedance for your amp's power tubes. It's a very spendy transformer but a Mesa amp deserves highest quality components placed within it. It will give back.

Nothing wrong with having a tone somebody will have a tough time chasing for a given amp type, and there are few better ways to do that than successfully swapping out an output transformer. Peace.

212Mavguy said:
Nothing wrong with having a tone somebody will have a tough time chasing for a given amp type, and there are few better ways to do that than successfully swapping out an output transformer. Peace.
AGREED!!! Thanks, 212Mavguy! Excellent post! I'll check out the Axioms!

Tone is subjective to the individual tone chaser and it's important to do what works for you. Silverwulf made some good points. The rights tubes will make difference in your tone and it's relatively inexpensive. I'd honestly start there first. Talk to Doug at dougtubes.com or Bob at eurotubes.com. Doug likes Tung Sols out front in the preamp but will most likely make some different combinations based on what your looking for v-2 through V-5. Bob sells JJ's and will most likely recommend a standard ecc83 with a balanced PI.

The reason I swapped the transformer in the DSL 50 was the fear that Marshall used sub par transformers. Mesa IMO uses better parts and construction. PM some of the guys that have done it and see what they have to say. When I hear most people complain about the "fuzz" or "fizziness" of the Rectos I always wonder if they are just not getting cranked into them enough.

Should you decide to do it, I recommend you do it yourself. It's not that hard, you just have to have the right wiring diagram to know where everything goes. Make sure you hook things up according to how it's labled not just according to color. I made that mistake. Still a little green and was even greener when I did it.

Here's Mine hooked up improperly...Produced a nice farting noise.
mminstal002acopy.jpg

MM has changed the layout over the years of the transformer. Here's mine and another guy's properly installed.

trannydiffs.jpg

If your not comfortable I'd find a qualified tech in your area to do it. It will be relatively less expensive (probably just bench time) for them to do it since your not having a company like FJA or Voodoo do any other mods.

Clutch really hit the bullseye on what I was referring to. Tone is completely subjective and we all perceive things differently, so no one can really tell you what things will ultimately give you the sound you hear in your head. I'm just reinforcing the point that in 99% of all cases, I bet you can likey get exactly what you want without going to such drastic and costly measures as swapping transformers. I could understand if the amp had a crap transformer in it, but all of the ones used by Mesa are just fine. The biggest problems I see with people and Rectos is:

1. Not understanding how the EQ knobs work and interact with each other.
2. Using way too much bass or gain.
3. Using a "wrong" set of tubes for what they're trying to acheive.

Changing an output transformer is something any tech can handle. Just call Mercury and they will tell you which OT to use in your amp. Changing the OT in a Recitifier is a bit more involved than changing one in a DSL/TSL amp, but it's not rocket science. Tubes is the place to start, but IMO tubes will never change the tone like a transformer change does. If the transformer sucks it doesn't matter what tube you use the end tone will always be limited by the transformer. Not all amps need an upgrade. I find the Rectifier series do. It all depends on what you're looking for though.
Jerry

For the record...I'm a fan of both modding company's who (Trace and Jerry), are also valuable posters on this site. They devote a lot of personal time answering questions. Anyone looking to mod would do well with either.

clutch71 said:
If your not comfortable I'd find a qualified tech in your area to do it. It will be relatively less expensive (probably just bench time) for them to do it since your not having a company like FJA or Voodoo do any other mods.
Wow! Great post! Thanks for all that detailed info! I think I'll either do my Recto myself, or have the mod performed locally by someone who actually knows what they're doing. Just wanted to save on shipping costs and wear and tear on the amp.

JerryFJA said:
. . . but, IMO tubes will never change the tone like a transformer change does. If the transformer sucks it doesn't matter what tube you use the end tone will always be limited by the transformer. Not all amps need an upgrade. I find the Rectifier series do. It all depends on what you're looking for though.
Jerry
Hey, Jerry! Great to see you here! I'm DYING to send you my 6505! Your 5150 clips are nothing short of AMAZING!!! Will talk later about the 6505!

Trannies do make a difference, probably more than many of you think.

Look at the early DR's. The ones that people point to as sounding the best had the Mark III tranny in them. The major chaneg in tone and feel happend when Mesa swapped to the current trannies.

Core9 said:
Trannies do make a difference, probably more than many of you think.

Look at the early DR's. The ones that people point to as sounding the best had the Mark III tranny in them. The major chaneg in tone and feel happend when Mesa swapped to the current trannies.

I would bet that someone could swap the transformers in everyones amp here without them knowing and 99% of you would never even know the difference.

wow this seems to go both ways... some say it makes a difference and others say it doesn't... it's about as close as the clinton/obama election!

Latest posts

Back