unshielded cables to change modes on simul 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecervantes

Reaction score
I am getting some hum and noise when I activate the modes of my simul 2:90 with my Triaxis, especially the half and modern modes even if I try to get rid of the noise with the ground switch on the Triaxis. I only have a G-force between them, nothing in the effects loop. So, before I buy and put any noise gate unit in the chain (probably a decimator) I want to make sure my signal is as clean as possible. I am thinking it is most likely the cheap cables I am using what I need to replace as my Strato itself sounds clean with my Fender amp. Reading the Triaxis manual (suggested wiring section) I noticed they labeled the cables that go from the Triaxis to the Simul 2:90 as unshielded. My questions are? What is an unshielded cable? Do you recommend any unshielded cable brands and models? Would using a regular shielded cable cause that signal to be unbalanced and then thats why I am getting hum and noise? Would I be okay if I just bought some decent quality solderless cables (like George or Planet Waves) and use them to connect everything in my rack? Also, what speaker cables do you recommend to connect to my cabinet? I mostly use the deep mode of the Simul but I am sure that without the noise I would use the other modes more. I am loving my Triaxis-G-Force-2:90 even if i dont use some of the modes. Any help with this cable issue will be appreciate it.

It really doesn't matter what sort of cable you use for the mode switching between the Triaxis and the 2:90 - as long as it's a mono cable it will work. Shielding is used to protect the audio signal from interference and distortion. The switching function is not part of the audio path so it doesn't matter if you use shielded or unshielded cable. The reason they state it as "unshielded" in the Mesa manual is to point out that it's just an electrical switch rather than an audio signal - so you don't have to use high quality/low-noise cables. It won't make any difference to your sound what sort of cable you use for switching. Unshielded cables are used for general electrical purposes or speaker wire. Shielded cables are used for audio signals to protect them from radio/electromagnetic interference.

There's more to it than that as far as cable construction goes, but that's a basic summary, and I gotta run! Hope it helps.

Of course that helps. I am now curious to know what cables the people in the forum use in their racks as well as which speaker cables. Any suggestions on what cables to get? Does anyboby get that hum with half and modern modes on the 2:90?

I have a 2:90 and Recto Pre in my rack. No hum when switching between modes on 2:90. You probably have a problem in the circuit, not in the cable you use for switching.
To connect all my rack gear I'm using Canare cables with Neutrik jacks. All cables are TRS (balanced) except for the cable used to trigger Modern mode on 2:90 - this one is just a mono cable. For speaker cables I'm currntly using George L's. All cables work fine for me. No hum or signal loss.

There are many other options of course. Some people say that when they changed all cables from Mogami or Canare to Analysis Plus they really heard a huge difference. You never try - you never know. Will cost you a good amount of money to try that though.

Latest posts

Back