Turns out I'm a Mesa Boogie guy after all

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yngzaklynch

Reaction score
After many years I owning just about every major high gainer out there other than Diezel and VHT, I got my hands on a Mk IV and was pretty satisfied for quite awhile. Well old habits die hard as I felt the need to try and capture the Marshall tones of my hero's. So I sold the Mk IV and bought a Splawn. Well I got my Marshall tones but after about a week I could tell that I just wasn't playing as much as I was tweaking. The more time that passed the more I missed the feel of the Mk IV. Plus it's nice to have all that saturated gain on tap when you want it. So I just traded a guy for his Mk IV short head.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'll always love the Marshall tones I grew up on and Splawn amps are very nice. But after 25+ years of playing I think I finally found "my" amp. A buddy of mine told me " Hey you got to use what works for you". Thats **** right. I'm not my heros, I'm me. After owning some really nice amps I have to say the Mk IV suits me best.

I can't wait to get a Mark IV. I tried a combo at my local store and been hell-bent on getting one. Well the time has come and ready to pull the trigger. BTW, welcome back to Boogie :D

I hear ya man,

I have a 2210 and a 2204 and I just don't play them like I should. I also own a VL-501. That sits now too.

My Mark IV is the only amp I have been playing lately. It is weird. I always considered myselfd a Marshall guy from the sound I was always playing but I have found that the Mark IV just gets it. I am still looking for that tone that makes you sh!t your pants but I have found some settings along the way that I have been more than happy with. I think I just need to keep turning the knobs or try more guitars on the settings that I find. I have been playing primarily my V's and LP's through it. I was recently told to try my strat through it. We'll see. I don't play Fender much anymore but I have a strat that has been dying to get played.

The only thing that gets me is that I too am relatively new to the Mark IV and Mesa amps in general, so it takes me forever to find it. On any Marshall sounding amp it is like bop bop be bop bip sling and I am there. With all the more options to choose from on these Mark IV's including power, harmonic, triode/pentode, class a/simul, it might be a while till I can just sling a few knobs and get it or at least be close everytime.

How would you relate setting your Mark IV as opposed to a Marshall?

On Marshalls, I normally bring lows in till they begin to mud then back off a hair. Then I bring in enough mid to cut or bite. Then I bring in highs till they start to hurt and then just a touch backed off. Then pre goes up till I like it at the volume level I am playing at. The presence will vary depending on the genre of music.

I tried this approach but it is wrong on the Mark IV. The treble sets things for the mids then lows. I just can't crack the nut here.

Russ said:
I was recently told to try my strat through it. I don't play Fender much anymore but I have a strat that has been dying to get played.
The Mark IV is a great amp for Strats. None of my other amps make my Strats sound as good as the Mark IV. I'm not a big fan of 25-1/2" scale necks on my guitars, but I will suffer with them through the Mark IV because it makes them sound so good.

Wow, my sentiments exactly. I am not fond of the 25 1/2 inch scale either. I think I just got lazy with the Gibsons. I used to play it alone but now I like the 24 3/4 better.

I heard that strats sound pretty good through the rectifiers too.

yngzaklynch said:
After many years I owning just about every major high gainer out there other than Diezel and VHT, I got my hands on a Mk IV and was pretty satisfied for quite awhile. Well old habits die hard as I felt the need to try and capture the Marshall tones of my hero's. So I sold the Mk IV and bought a Splawn. Well I got my Marshall tones but after about a week I could tell that I just wasn't playing as much as I was tweaking. The more time that passed the more I missed the feel of the Mk IV. Plus it's nice to have all that saturated gain on tap when you want it. So I just traded a guy for his Mk IV short head.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'll always love the Marshall tones I grew up on and Splawn amps are very nice. But after 25+ years of playing I think I finally found "my" amp. A buddy of mine told me " Hey you got to use what works for you". Thats **** right. I'm not my heros, I'm me. After owning some really nice amps I have to say the Mk IV suits me best.

Well Jim, it's been 3 months and you still have it, that's cool. I'm borrowing a markIV right now and i have been comparing it a lot to my IIC+. I'd like to get a IV eventually because of all the gadgets on it :lol: But they do sound different, no doubt about it, not better or worse just different. My IIC+ does seem to have a little bit more gain but the tubes in the IV could probably use a change. I found that with the IV that harmonics, Triode, and presence out, does get it very close to the IIC+.

Well, i just wanted to add that i play my Strat American Deluxe HSS through my MarkIV Head and 2x12 Recto Cab, this combination is fantastic... first when i had ordered my Strat, my Buddies told to me than i better use a Marshall with a Strat, because nothing makes sound a Strat better than a Vintage Marshall such as a 1959 SLP or a JCM 800, even if she was a modern Fender Strat ! then i have received my Strat, and during the first gigs, they have been shocked how much the Strat sounded so delicious through the MarkIV, i can assure everyone that the Mesa Boogie MarkIV/Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster combo is explosive, plus i begin to thinking about the MarkIV as a Vintage amp :D since it was developped during the end of the eigthies, some years behind it already, i think it's a totaly different amp than the new amp of today such as the Rectifiers or the likes !

Antoine said:
Well, i just wanted to add that i play my Strat American Deluxe HSS through my MarkIV Head and 2x12 Recto Cab, this combination is fantastic... first when i had ordered my Strat, my Buddies told to me than i better use a Marshall with a Strat, because nothing makes sound a Strat better than a Vintage Marshall such as a 1959 SLP or a JCM 800, even if she was a modern Fender Strat ! then i have received my Strat, and during the first gigs, they have been shocked how much the Strat sounded so delicious through the MarkIV, i can assure everyone that the Mesa Boogie MarkIV/Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster combo is explosive, plus i begin to thinking about the MarkIV as a Vintage amp :D since it was developped during the end of the eigthies, some years behind it already, i think it's a totaly different amp than the new amp of today such as the Rectifiers or the likes !

Is it the player or the gear? You have a unique tone. Like Red Bull and Butter.

I fell in love with Boogies in the early 80's, I'm still playing my MKIIB and it still feels good. When recording I use the Boogie and a 65' Bassman in separate rooms for a very full stereo effect....I'm still having fun playing R&R, even if I'm getting to be an old fart.... :D Marshall amps never really tripped my trigger, although I owned a few of the classics. Tried them all at one time or another. Loudest was the Peavey Mace,(Lynard Skynard) worst tone was a Yamaha solid state twin...yuck....bought for a gig in a Jazz band....Rock on!!!!!

Boogiebabies said:
Is it the player or the gear? You have a unique tone. Like Red Bull and Butter.

Once again, thanks a lot Boogibabies, comments from someone like you with all this knowledge about amps and tone are really appreciated !
Even if i'm agree with you about the fact than the player take a big part in the tone of his instrument, i really think the gear is really important...
Players as Jeff Beck or EVH surely would sound amazing through anything, but their own gear helps them to reach a particular tone which will be far away better than through craps gear...
Mesa Boogie Amps are tone monster, especially the Mark series, sure a beginner would not sound good through a MarkIV because this amp is really sensitive to the playing, but if you will be able to take the best of your guitar, the MarkIV really makes your playing shinning through and will give you a tone you will always be :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D about it ! :wink:

Oooops...about my previous post, don't think i consider myself as a good player, i only tried to tell that my Gear helps me a lot, i'm not Jeff Beck or EVH and surely i would sound very very bad through anything :wink:

This is exactly what i thought with Marshalls, i so wanted to play one for so long and when i finally got the chance to own one it just didn't do anything for me.

Since buying the Studio 22+ i have fallen in love with it's sound, a lot smoother but still bites and the Graphic EQ is the best :D

Latest posts

Back