Tuners - Pedal form

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.W

Reaction score
Im picking up a tuner next week, ive decided to stay away from racks for a while (or ill go gung-ho and come home broke). Saw Grohl tuning infront of 15,000 people this week with a pedal and figured, good enough for him.....

Im looking at the Korg D-10, looks handy!

question!

- Chromatic what does it really mean? and do I nead it?

- Is true by-pass really that important in the tuner pedal?

Everything welcome,
Cheers,
David.

Get the Peterson StroboStomp you will not believe how much better you will sound. The SS is far more accurate than any other tuner including the rack tuners.

Wow, you sound pretty definate!! Im in....hahaha. Your not the rep are you ned?

Im looking into it as we speak!

David.

Definately not the rep but am a very satisfied customer.

Previously when playing stuff like Plush it just didn't sound quite right, kinda grating. The SS is so accurate it made my open chords ring with a clarity that had not existed before. The worst part is I leave the SS in the rehearsal studio, thinking of buying the software version for home use.

I use a rackmount, but for a pedal I suggest a Boss TU-2. It's used by pros all over the world, so it can't be that bad.

Also, what Ned says about the Strobo-Stomp is true. The TU-2 is reliable, but it's old technology compared to the Strobo Stomp.

Chromatic means all the notes of the scale, as opposed to some cheap tuners that only show EADGbe. Or even cheaper, that only show A.

Re: Boss TU-2

Does the bypass suck/alter much tone?

Im all in favor of TU-2 simple to read and use. Does that mean the Strobo is not so easy to use on stage?

**** Strobo is $270 (bfore 14%tax).
thanks.......
David.

I'm with ned. The strobo stomp is a great tuner. You can get it almost anywhere in the U.S. for 189.99. Who's trying to sell it for 270.00? You sure it's the strobo stomp? I bought mine at GC for 189.99.

Ned is right on. If you want acuurancy especially when setting intonation this is the only tuner you'll ever need. My chords sound more in tune and chimey. I love this tuner.

Continued:
Yes, you definitely want a chromatic tuner if you are going to be tuning onstage. Chromatic, as I understand it, is just that it detects where approximately the note (frequency) you just hit is at on the chromatic scale and registers how close you are to that note (frequency) as sharp or flat.

How acurate and how that accuracy is displayed is what sets tuners apart cost and quality wise. Peterson is one of, if not the top maker of tuners in the industry. We average guitarist may not see them much, but if you're a piano tuner you defintiely will or run with an orchestra. The strobo display as well as the accuracy of the tuner make it the best as far as matching the desired frequency to the standard. That being said, we all have different taste and cost structures. Boss makes a great tuner and is used alot! It's cheaper than the strobo stomp, but works fine. Spec wise though, the strobo stomp is more acurate.

Kyle said:
Who's trying to sell it for 270.00?

Canadians are...

Kyle said:
I bought mine at GC for 189.99.

$270 plus 14% tax Canadian.

Thats an expensive tuner. Sounds like a **** good tuner though, and looks like its built for life. Can anyone comment on wether its an easy unit to see/use when gigging?

David.[/quote]

Dang! That is high! Even if you order via Internet, you still have to pay that price? All the online dealers I checked have it for 189.99.

I have no problem seeing it. It lights up bright blue and the strobe is easy to see, plus it looks really cool on your pedalboard. I like it better than leds or a needle. You just adjust until the "bars" stop moving. The switch has never popped with me either. Very silent when muting to tune or change guitars. I haven't tried it in direct sunlight, but I don't think it would be a problem. The only beef I have with it, is the same as Guitar Player Mag had: the battery compartment cover could easily be lost. I don't use batteries in it anyway so no worry for me, but may be for some.

David.W said:
Re: Boss TU-2

Does the bypass suck/alter much tone?

Im all in favor of TU-2 simple to read and use. Does that mean the Strobo is not so easy to use on stage?

No tone suckage from that pedal, no noticable difference between plugging right in and plugging into the pedal and then the amp.

Well, I consider it to be like this... The Strobo is going to be very accurate, resulting in more time spent tuning. Yes, its easy to use on stage, but you have to concentrate and get everything very precise. This results in more time and attention being put into tuning. The Strobo is a great pedal but I would never use it in an onstage setup simply because we try to keep the time between our songs as brief as possible. The TU-2 is less accurate, but unless you have an amazing ear you're not going to detect a difference. I wouldn't intonate a guitar with the TU-2.

Hi Nocturno....

I was really trying to stay away from racks (never thought id say that). If I start on one rack tuner the next thing I know I will have spent $10,000 on a wack of pretentious units I didnt really need.

I figured my effects/tone needs are minimum and it would be a safer bet to to stick with pedal form for everything. Dont get me wrong the Korg stuff is pretty great, I hear the Korg D-10 is a tone sucker though and unreliable to boot!

That strobo stomp has my heart...

Latest posts

Back