Tubes & Settings to get a Marshall Sound out of a MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srf399

Reaction score
Trying to get the Marshall lead sound out of my MKIV... could any of you out there suggest settings to achieve this? Thanks

To be pretty honest, no offense to Mesa orthe Mark IV, Mesa is Mesa, and Marshall is Marshall. You can get similar gain areas with them but they are very different. That's why I own both. You can't really get one to sound like the other.

Some people may disagree.

I hate Marshalls and the sound.... I just read someone on Harmony Central talking about how it sounded almost like his Marshall on the R2 channel and I wanted to know the settings and tubes so I could avoid it.

The Mesa is totally different in respect to it's circuit design. Both the Marshall and Mesa are basically Fender ripoffs but they have there EQ or tonestack in totally different places. The DR is basically a super modified Bassman circuit which a Soldano SLO 100 ripped off that was a ripoff the Marshall Super Lead which ripped off the Fender Bassman. All you need is a few resistor changes and you can get a patent on an existing design. Go figure. The MK series are more in the vein of high gain Twins or Princetons.
The EQ comes right after the input of the signal.

The R2 with the gain at 10, Treble at 8, Mids at 3, Bass at 2-3 in Simul-Class with the presence pushed and at 5 is IMO as close as you will get. You can fiddle with the graphic to tweak the mids. It will probably be a losing battle and endless tweaking.

LOL this post is to much. Not because it's silly but because I had alittle pissin match which my amp tech one time about this same topic. I agree these amps are totally different. Marshall's and Mesa's are just too different to sound the same. It's like saying a Harley sounds like a Honda.
For rock I like both sounds. For anything else I like Mesa or just about anything BUT a Marshall.

There is nothing wrong with a good Marshall. A 67 Plexi, early JCM 800 and my personal favorite the 2555 Silver Jubilee are great amps in their own right. Most are like any other amp. You need to find one that just has the Mojo.

Why would you purposely want your Mark IV or any Boogie amp for that matter to sound like a Marshall? Just like stated before, if you want the Marshall sound, I would suggest that you buy a Marshall...

Why would you want your mesa to sound like a tweed fender? Why would Santanawant a Fender Princeton moded by Randall Smith in the first place? Why would you want your LSS to sound like a Vox AC30? Why would you want to sound like Eric Johnson or Santana? Versatility perhaps? Why would I want my MKIV to sound like a MKIIC+? Because I don't want to spend $3000 more to get a Marshall?

I give you the R2 brown sound. Now bow down bitches!

R2 rock Crunch 1
R2 Rock Crunch 2
R2 Rock Crunch 3

The use of EL34s is key to this sound.

SFWMarkIV.jpg

Dr. Watson,I do belives he's done it!
But I aint bow'in down...lol
Great clips,#2 shines well,very clear & puncy !
Kudo's on going beyond the typical V shaping on the EQ.

prs1999 said:
Dr. Watson,I do belives he's done it!
But I aint bow'in down...lol
Great clips,#2 shines well,very clear & puncy !
Kudo's on going beyond the typical V shaping on the EQ.

Oh, I hate the "V." I don't like the way the highs get very harsh when you bump the sliders above the center line.

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$ here, but your pic shows Lead channel, not R2, and your clips refer to R2. Which is it?
Also, how did you get that pic? Can it be modified/used by the rest of us?

I also realized that wanting that '70 - '80's sound I needed to get something different so...

IMG_4482.jpg

I got both units used...Mark IV $1150 :D ADA MP-1 $200 8) Now I got the best of both worlds.

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$ here, but your pic shows Lead channel, not R2, and your clips refer to R2. Which is it?

My questions exactly. Great sound though!!

JA

radmo said:

I thought his front pannel layout showed his #2 setings? And yes,by the way,how did you do the graphics. Very cool that you laid out even the switch settings above the power toggles.
Nice !

In the first day I had my mark IV, it sounded really similar to my marshall jcm 800 2204! I'll look up the settings for you.

Where is everyone seeing SFW's settings? I can't see them on my computer? Is there something wrong here?

Latest posts

Back