Tubes from Doug for my Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my tubes from Doug's today...awesome. In addition to the 5:50 set, I purchased a mellower tube for V2 which Doug said would mellow the amp a bit. I haven't tried that yet...but will and report back. The new tubes quieted the amp and really evened it out and the cleans sound ever better than before. I have a beater MIM strat that sounded scratchy before the retube (more the guitar than amp) and it sounds much better now. These tubes make an awesome amp even better.

BTW, I've read threads wherein some Express 5:50's purchased at GC were found to have non Mesa tubes. I purchased my amp from a smaller, family owned shop and every tube in mine was a Mesa.

I just replaced the Mesa preamp tubes in my 1-1/2 year old Express 5:50 with a Tungsol and 4 JJs that I had on hand with incredible results!

I also have old Telefunken, Mullard, RCA, GE, Amperex, Tungsol, etc... 12AX7s on hand that I tried in the amp and there was a bigger difference between the Mesa tubes and the JJs than there was between the JJs and the vintage tubes!

Don't put off replacing the Mesa preamp tubes in you amp. They're not very good!

I fully agree that Doug's special tube set is a good thing, but keep in mind that the year and a half old tubes are used and won't sound as a good as a new set. Some of my vintage tubes don't sound all that good as they are well used. What seems to be a big unknown due to being very subjective is the tonal life of the new production tubes in general. They don't seem to last like vintage tubes.

I'll be interested to see in another year and half when people start replacing there tubes again how much difference there is between old and new.

On a side note, I am always surprised at the tonal improvement when I put on a new set of strings (about every 6 weeks). Better than a new set of tubes :roll:

That's true whenever you replace something that has worn out over time. My amp was beginning to sound kind of flat. That's why I experimented with the tubes in the first place.

J.J said:
I fully agree that Doug's special tube set is a good thing, but keep in mind that the year and a half old tubes are used and won't sound as a good as a new set. Some of my vintage tubes don't sound all that good as they are well used. What seems to be a big unknown due to being very subjective is the tonal life of the new production tubes in general. They don't seem to last like vintage tubes.

I'll be interested to see in another year and half when people start replacing there tubes again how much difference there is between old and new.

On a side note, I am always surprised at the tonal improvement when I put on a new set of strings (about every 6 weeks). Better than a new set of tubes :roll:
Haven't replaced my strings in about 2 years. Heh. :oops:

One question for you guys before I re-tube my 5:50… I love the tone I get on the Blues channel with the gain maxed out — kind of a warm, compressed fuzz.

It's the same sound this guy gets with a Mesa Triaxis: (click to listen).

Is that still present after the re-tube?

Have also ordered a full set of new tubes for my 5:50 from Doug on the advice of members of this Board.
Looking forward to their arrival.

Greg

Resurrecting this thread ...except with regard to my newly acquired 5:25.

I'd like to reduce the high-end sizzle/harshness in the Burn channel ...not quite "ice pick" but certainly not nearly as smooth as I am accustomed to for a Boog. And also get more girth and bottom (in full 25w mode) in Burn and Blues channel. I just posted a thread here regarding this ...refer to it if it helps you address my concerns. I appreciate any of your thoughts about the aforementioned tube choice with regard to what I'm looking for here? BTW, I have no issue with the either channel 1 voices.
Thanks, all!!

Edward

edward said:
Resurrecting this thread ...except with regard to my newly acquired 5:25.

I'd like to reduce the high-end sizzle/harshness in the Burn channel ...not quite "ice pick" but certainly not nearly as smooth as I am accustomed to for a Boog. And also get more girth and bottom (in full 25w mode) in Burn and Blues channel. I just posted a thread here regarding this ...refer to it if it helps you address my concerns. I appreciate any of your thoughts about the aforementioned tube choice with regard to what I'm looking for here? BTW, I have no issue with the either channel 1 voices.
Thanks, all!!

Edward

I think I achieved what you are describing when I put 5751's in all tube slots. It didn't do any good to put just one in, I had to do all or none. All 5751's or all 12AX7's.......when I mixed and matched I got a lot of microphonic feedback or early dirt.

soundchaser59 said:
I think I achieved what you are describing when I put 5751's in all tube slots. It didn't do any good to put just one in, I had to do all or none. All 5751's or all 12AX7's.......when I mixed and matched I got a lot of microphonic feedback or early dirt.

Hey soundchaser,
Interesting ...all 5751s, eh? Even the PI spot? If it made the Channel 2 voices smoother at the top end (hopefully more bottom girth, too?), how did the 5751s affect the Ch1, especially the Clean voice?

BTW, I've read some of your other posts regarding 10" speaker for this badboy. Have you "arrived" at your final choice with the EV? What did you "get" with it over the stock celestion? Thanks!!

Edward

Yes, I put in four 5751's, everything except the reverb driver. It wasn't so much that it tamed the tone as it tamed the gain, so that I could have more usable range in the controls before the sound would distort or break up. With the 70% gain tube in the P.I. slot the volume was slightly reduced, but my amp gets mic'd anyway so I didn't really care. I run in 5 watt mode a lot, but I stand close enough that it blends perfectly with the stage sound. The differences are even more noticeable with the full power setting.

Of course, none of this would be pleasing to me if I were still using the stock E50 speaker. I tried several, but I think the EV (both EVM12L and EV Force 10) allowed me to most accurately gauge exactly what tone I was getting from the controls. For example, there is some kind of high freq fizzy sound that creeps in as the pre gain goes higher and higher, especially with pedals in line, and I did not notice this sound until I unplugged the Weber and plugged in the EV. Then it was almost annoying. I dialed it out, cranked up a bit more master volume, and all was beautiful tone again. I plugged back into the Weber and gave it yet another bit of master volume, and the sound gave me goose bumps.

What I like is the EV does not over emphasize the high mids, it has no presence boost. The lows are never muddy, at least with the 12 (the 10's inherently do not handle lows as well, but the EV Force 10 handles lows better than other 10's) and the low mids are quite smooth and evenly balanced all up and down the neck, which I really really love for what I do. The top highs are smoother as well, it takes more high end tone gain to get that ear piercing sound fromt he EV. They are so efficient it is easy to mistake the extra loudness for ear-piercing ice pick highs, but that aint what it is. The EV is like the best reality check speaker I've ever had. You can set your amp to sound good with any speaker, they all dial in differently, but if you want to know what's really coming out of them thar tubes, plug in the EV to find the elusive truth! Redial to taste, then it will sound good on almost anything else with just a little more master volume added in. Works great, more filling!

I really love the Weber Michigan the best, both 12 and 10, but this 16 ohm California is really nice, no complaints, just not my ideal tone. I'm waiting on a Weber Neo 10 with a bass cone. If I understand what I read about it, it will be quite pleasing......and it will take the 5 watt tone to the next level.

The single best pedal for running in 5 watt mode, by the way, is a clean boost. I use the BBE Boosta Grande in the fx loop because it has absolutely no added noise and no tone coloration, at least none that my old fart ears can detect!

Great stuff, sounchaser ...thanks for taking the time with sharing details and findings!! It sounds like you were hearing what I want to dial out, especially WRT the highs from the amp (or perhaps equal culprit, speaker). I totally dig tube nuances as I have done the same to personally tailor the tone of my DC5 and MkIII (and old Fenders) in the past. But experience has taught me speaker is more significant a tonal change than tubes, so maybe I'll go there first.

The EV Force 10 aint easy to find ...I'm patient, so can wait if it's worth it. But do you like the Weber Mich 10 better than the EV10 (again, for more bottom, tighter bass, and smoother highs)? Let's just say I'd prefer to benefit from your extensive 10" speaker quest rather than treading that ground myself! :)
Thanks, man!! :mrgreen:

Edward

I do like the Michigan 10 better, but I have to qualify that statement......

I also have several 12's, and a 15. So what sealed it for me was I felt I SHOULD keep the EV just because nothing else will do what it does. The EV will do what the Michigan does, but the Michigan won't do everything the EV does. I already have Michigan 12 and 15, so I have resisted the temptation to get a Michigan 10 just because I was afraid that I would never be able to replace the EV sound.

It really depends on what you like. The California is a really close call for me, but just a tad too bright for what I want.

A good economy recommend for a darker smoother 10 inch sound that will absorb a lot of master volume power is the Delta Demon, great for overdrive leads. For lots of pristine cleans that are less picky and easier to dial in than the EV, I would throw a Tone Tubby into the mix.

Unfortunately, each player has to basically hear it for himself to decide, or visit somebody who has a lot of different cabs. I read threads and posts, then bought speakers based on what was said. Most were accurate enough and well intentioned, but I would never really know if I hadn't simply bought the speakers myself and tried them all, many of them side by side. Oddly, the Michigans were some of the first speakers I ever bought, I loved them immediately but I sold them thinking I still had not reached tone nirvana......and 3 years and 3 dozen speakers later I'm up to my ears in Michigans! But I aint lettin' go of that EV! If I were going to be playing in large venue every night, I would keep more EV 12's on hand. Nothing like them! But Michigan is my personal favorite tone for my amps and my kind of sound.

OK, gotcha, now. Thanks for that explanation/qualification. You don't have to "sell" me on the virtues of the EV ...at least in the 12" form. I have been a long-time devotee of my EVM-thiele ...an amazing box whose tone defies its diminutive size! So maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used EV force or Michigan in 10". I may give in and just pickup a new one eventually, but I'm still in the "finding my tone" stage with this 5:25 so will further acquaint myself with it's various tone/character before I go speaker swapping. At least the Delta D comes up now and again. Thanks for the insight ...I really appreciate ya sharing!

Edward

Just placed an order for tubes from Doug based on recommendations here... I asked him for tubes that would turn my 5:50 into a Mark IV :) Let's see if he delivers :lol:

Awesome.

IMPORTANT QUESTION.

IM CURRENTLY SEEKING ADVICE ON RETUBING MY AMP AND WAS TOLD TO ORDER FROM DOUGS.

ANY TIPS THERE ON INCREASING THE DISTORTION ON MY EXPRESS?

I LIVE IN IRELAND SO DO THEY SHIP WORLDWIDE? I THINK THEY DO BUT THERE IS A SET PRICE A $30 DOLLARS FOR THAT ON TOP OF YOUR ORDER AND SHIPPING?!!!!

ALSO, I HEARD THAT IT MIGHT DAMAGE MY AMP TO USE OTHER BRANDS OTHER THAN GROOVE TUBES AND MESA VALVES???

THX

Can't comment on the shipping thing but using different tubes won't damage your amp. Just tell Doug they're for an Express and he'll bias the power tubes correctly and you'll be fine. And the preamp tubes he chooses will also add more gain from what I've heard. You could also ask to get power tubes with an early break up to get more power tube distortion early on but I wouldn't totally recommend it if you use a lot of clean tones.

EXPRESSLOVER said:
Awesome.

IMPORTANT QUESTION.

IM CURRENTLY SEEKING ADVICE ON RETUBING MY AMP AND WAS TOLD TO ORDER FROM DOUGS.

ANY TIPS THERE ON INCREASING THE DISTORTION ON MY EXPRESS?

I LIVE IN IRELAND SO DO THEY SHIP WORLDWIDE? I THINK THEY DO BUT THERE IS A SET PRICE A $30 DOLLARS FOR THAT ON TOP OF YOUR ORDER AND SHIPPING?!!!!

ALSO, I HEARD THAT IT MIGHT DAMAGE MY AMP TO USE OTHER BRANDS OTHER THAN GROOVE TUBES AND MESA VALVES???

THX

you can stick any brand tubes in any amp provided they're the right tube type ie - 6L6's power tubes for a 5:50.
If you're getting the high gain JJ preamp tube Doug recommends it'll add approx 20% more gain on top for a 5:50.
Shipping cost was around $25-30 to Australia
You'll be impressed when you stick em in - money well spent :mrgreen:

I found I got varying amounts of distortion by changing to tubes with different gain values. But it was not a good pleasing distortion, it was a crap fizzy brittle distortion. I would not recommend experimenting with tubes to get a good distortion sound. I think you'd be much happier chasing distortion by experimenting with pedals thru the burn channel.

soundchaser59 said:
I found I got varying amounts of distortion by changing to tubes with different gain values. But it was not a good pleasing distortion, it was a crap fizzy brittle distortion. I would not recommend experimenting with tubes to get a good distortion sound. I think you'd be much happier chasing distortion by experimenting with pedals thru the burn channel.

Hey Soundchaser - I've noticed you'll often answer a question somene's asking about the 5:50 with your experience with a 5:25. I know you're trying to be helpful and all but they're not the same amp at all. Your experience with a 5:25 is just not applicable to a 5:50 IMO. And I reckon tube amp distortion is always better quality than any pedal anyways and that's especially true of the 5:50. :mrgreen:

Back