Tube Rectifier w/EL34s in Tremoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
I got some Ruby EL34s to try in my Tremoverb. I noticed when I went to put them in that the back of the head has a small label stating 'Best to use Tube Rectifier with EL34' or something to that effect. Just wondering if anyone can explain why that would be? Is there risk of some type of damage if it is not used with the tube rec w/EL34s?

I liked them at first, but then when I was playing at band volume with drums and bass....I wasn't really digging the sound. Sounded a bit flubbier on power chords in the Vintage Gain setting. Kind of thinner at the same time. But I had it on the Tube Rec and even with 6L6s in the tube rec mode it is not as tight for rhythm work. Didn't spend much time dialing the EQs either. I can't dismiss them yet, but I will have to do more tweaking to see if they will work for me.

Thanks!

there is no possibility for damage by running diode rectifiers thru el34's.
mesa knows what theyre doing. they wouldnt design an amp that could
be damaged by using their own tubes.

anyways, it makes sense that you dont like the flubbier sound of a tube
rectifier for metal, el34's or other wise. you do loose alot of tightness.
however, try soloing with it. i dont know if you know how to play sweep
arpeggios, but if you do, switch to your neck PU and activate the tube recto. if you dont know how to do sweep arpeggios, another good
way to hear what tube rectos will do for you is the stevie sweep.
to do that is pretty simple. lets say at the 12th fret, youre going to bend
the B string up a full step. but before you do that, you sweep your pick
accross all the other strings below it and then hit it. with tube recto,
that sweep causes a big drop in power from all the bass so when you do hit that note, it just screams.

also, for a good metal sound, go with modern/el34/diodes/cranked.

hope this helps

Latest posts

Back