Tube Recommendations for Rect-O-Verb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustee

Reaction score
It's been a little over a year and a half with the stock tubes on my Rect-O-Verb head. I am begining to hear microphonics and random crackles and pops so I'm deciding on a fresh re-tube (Power+Pre). I use the 6L6 setting, so could some people pitch in and recommend me what brand I should go with. Price is an issue, so I would like to go with something that has a good value. I've heard about the Chinese Tung Sols and they seem very appealing for the sound I need. I'm looking for a big warm crunchy sound. Good amount of gain and a fat clean sound. I pair my head with a 1x12 Classic Cabinet with a V30 in it for an idea. I appreciate your replies.

Well, I just retubed my pre's with the Eurotube high gain set, and I think it may be a bit shrill. In the future, I would probably go with the standard 12ax7 tube set for a warmer sound. I can't make any suggestions for the power tubes since you're a 6l6 guy. I'm currnetly running 6l6's after switching back from el34's, my next set will probably be kt77's to try to go for the best of both worlds.

Ive been experimenting with different tubes for a while with my rectoverb.
I have a set of boogie 6l6's,,,jj 6l6's,,and SED c winged el34's. I enjoy the sound of them all. I must admit that the difference in sound of the 3 are slight. In the preamp department I have tried the stock boogies,,
Electro Harminix 12ax7's, Tung-sol 12ax7's, jj's ecc83s standard and groove tube 12ax7's. I found there to be more of a difference between the preamp tubes than the power tubes. The EH's seemed to give me a lot of feedback? Boogies seemed to be pretty good. The jj's just as good as the boogies but the tung-sols seemed to be the top of the lot.
After a bunch of swapping around I ended up with JJ 6l6,s and a
Tung-sol in v1,v3,v5,,balanced in v5. I used a boogie in v2,,seemed to add something good to the sound??? I dont know? And a EH in the v4 spot which is your loop tube. Just some advice here. I noticed you said price is an issue. If you stay away from boogie tubes your bound to save some cash. Buy a few different preamp tubes with that cash and swap them around to find the sound you like. Check out dougs tubes for your preamps,,he and eurotubes have been great. And when buying your power tubes make sure and tell them what amp they are for and they will set you up right.

Back