Tube Question!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastorofmuppets

Reaction score
I'm dreaming of one day owning a Mark III Red or Blue Stripe head (don't care what size) with EQ presence and simul-class. Now my question is, what type of tubes do I use in it? I'm new to tubes and I just want to know what will give me that Master of Puppets tone. I know you can swap the EL34's for two 6L6's right? Well can someone please explain this whole thing in depth for me. And try to explain what preamp tubes give what sound and what I might want. I don't want to spend a ton and not get the right thing. And help is appreciated, thanks.

Use the search function - type in "TUBES" and see what happens. There's TONS of posts on this subject. Scroll lower on the index page and you'll find a whole forum dedicated to "Tubes".

I have talked to the guys at GC before and they said that EL34's will give you that british rock sound (marshall) and 6L6's are tighter and is probably what I want. I just want to talk to more than one person, so I came to the owners of these fine machines. And the only simulclass amp I've played was a Mark IV at GC at very very low volumes so half or full power really didn't make a difference.

also when I finally get a Mark III I want to try and get a red or blue stripe but I will take anything I can get.

Yeah, I've noticed that about the guys there, that's why I'm asking for you guys to help. About guitars and accessories I know so much more than most of them. That's why I applied. I had a great interview, now hopefully they call. :D

I use a mark iv, so it may be slightly different than the mark iii you are considering, but anyway I'm a huge fan of the MOP album. The power tube combination that (to my ears) sounds most like the MOP tone is 4 6L6s in simulclass (with the class A's in triode mode). Now, in full power, this tone is extremely crushing and intense, and may piss off other band members by overpowering everybody else.

As a disclaimer, I do not use this configuration. For the band I'm in now, I use 2 EL34s in class A, full power, pentode, for a more tool-style controlled crunch. It plays well with others, and can still melt faces on the lead channel.

rabies said:
keep in mind that the mark iii green stripe is pentode wired in the outer sockets and the previous stripes are all triode. this makes a big difference in sound as well as headroom/wattage.

+1 If I were you, I'd look for either a red stripe or green stripe...forget the blue stripe. Red and Green will get you closest to the 2C+ sound Master of Puppets was recorded with. I would use 6l6 and el34 because that album was powered with a marshall jcm800, which has el34's.

Latest posts

Back