Tube change Mark V help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sted

Reaction score
Hey all,

Probably been a million of these threads but oh well....

Loving my new Mark V combo but really want to try some EL34's in it (Always been a marshall guy in the past!) but have some questions! Again, probably sound a bit dumb to seasoned pro's but any comments are appreciated!

Firstly, whats a decent set of tubes and where can I order them from (UK)? I dont want to replace the pre-amp tubes, just the power tubes. Ideally I want a "Fit and forget" tube set!

The mark V has a bias switch between 6L6 and EL34's, is it really THAT simple? Change tubes and flick a switch?? Shurely not!

Finally as someone who has never changed tubes can you offer any advice (Even if that advice is DONT DO IT!!) I will research it thoroughly before attempting it but I thought I'd start with actual Mesa owners!

Again any comments, links, jibes and mockery are all welcomed :D

Cheers!

first changing power tubes is very easy just be gentle and you'll be fine. Second yes its as easy as a flick of the switch but you should make sure the tubes you get are within parameters for mesa gear any supplier will help you there. As far as brands go I'm not an el34 guy (yet) but a lot of people seem to like the Tung sol el34b

You know I was wondering the similar question about my new mark v amp. Do you have to run 4 EL34's when in this mode when you switch the bais to the EL34 mode? Or can you use just the outside pair for EL34's and keep the inside pair 6l6's like in a mark III?

To make my question clear. Right now my amp has 4 6L6's in the power tube sockets, with the bais switch set to 6L6. If I want to try the bais switch in the EL34 mode, must I run all 4 power tube section EL34 as well?

sevycat said:
You know I was wondering the similar question about my new mark v amp. Do you have to run 4 EL34's when in this mode when you switch the bais to the EL34 mode? Or can you use just the outside pair for EL34's and keep the inside pair 6l6's like in a mark III?

To make my question clear. Right now my amp has 4 6L6's in the power tube sockets, with the bais switch set to 6L6. If I want to try the bais switch in the EL34 mode, must I run all 4 power tube section EL34 as well?

good question mate!

*Waits patiently for expert knowledge* :D

sted said:
sevycat said:

good question mate!

*Waits patiently for expert knowledge* :D

I called Mesa Boogie tech support today. Here is the deal, when in the 6L6 bias mode, all power tubes must be 6L6's. The same holds true for the EL34 bias mode, all tubes must be EL34's. Also, I was told to run quads with the same color code to insure a longer life of the power tube section. Hope this helps those who may have considered using this option on their mark V.

Latest posts

Back