Trying to make a decision - Stiletto Ace 2x12 or Roadster 2x

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
I play in a band that does classic rock, some metal, and stuff that you can dance to. I currently have a Line 6 Flextone III that doesn't seem to be cutting it for me anymore, and Mesa is the only tube amp that I can find that has the features that I want...

Aside from the 4 channels, the reverb is really pushing me toward the Roadster, but I am way at the top of my price range with the Stiletto, but on the other hand, it doesn't have reverb, and I am going to have to invest an additional $100 in a reverb pedal.

Here are my requirements. Any recommendations are appreciated:

*Really clean clean channel
*Maximum distortion that I need is "Master of Puppets". I like the 80's sound
I also like a gain that I can roll back the volume on. This is what I would use for general use with the band
*Nice tight low end

Please chime in........

Have you played both of them, or just one and going off the reviews of the other?

That first sentence makes me say "Roadster". The Stiletto is a great sounding amp but if you need to cover more ground the Roadster is the way to go.

I am still in the process of researching, and have not tried either, only other Mesas, such as the 50/50. While I liked the overall characteristics, I want a different gain sound than that.

There aren't too many dealers in my area (CT), but I believe one in the area has both, which I will try soon.

Basically, I was originally set on the Marshall TSL 602, but the clean wasn't what I wanted and I was looking for a gain with the option of being tighter and more focused while retaining that Marshall type sound

Based on your requirements you should really get a... Mark Series amp. MOP was largely recorded with a Mark. The Recto has tooth rattling walls of bass which is not tight bass. The Mark series has tighter bass and a broad palette of gain options plus reverb and some great clean sounds.

Last night i've been listening to my old metallica's album and i was thinking how much nice the mark series sound with an EQ. Just by what you mentionned, go for a mark head with a cab! (head sounds better than combo, especially for metal)

Latest posts

Back