Trying EL34's again. Need suggestions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
Thinking about trying EL34's again. Looking for something tight and percussive with a smooth top end. I've tried Tung-Sol EL34b's in the past and really liked them. Anyone else have any suggestions? They'd be going into a boosted 3 channel Triple Recto.

What about the Mesa EL34 tubes?? Have you tried or heard something about them?? I'm about to buy 2 duets but this is my first time. I have used only the TAD's EL34B STR and sounds great at high volume (gigs). Also I have read that the Mullard tubes kick ***! Check the reviews in the following link:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Mullard/Mullard-EL34

When I bought my 97' Triple Rec it had Ruby EL34's in it. I loved the tone so much that I never I tried 6L6, also partly due to the colder bias on the 6L6 setting. Of course mine is a two Channel so there might be a slight tonal difference.

Two months ago I was looking into changing the power tubes and called up Eurotubes. I told them i wanted el34 tone but with more balls. Turned me onto the KT77, & I will never look back. Turned it into a monster!

6 of them cost me about $130 but worth every penny. They will give you the right grade to get you amp running hot like it should be.

Right now I am just using the power section though. I use An orange th30 but tap the loop and run it into the return on the Mesa. So i get orange tone with 150 watts of pure muscle. Its heaven, boosted and put through a marshall 1960 with v30/t75 x pattern. Use a cheap agile 7 string with a duncan distortion, tuned to drop b.

Sounds so close to Downs tone but with a bit more low end.

JJ KT77 for the win!

+1 on the KT77s!

I revalved my Series 1 Road King with a quad of SED Winged C 6L6GC, and a duet of Genalex KT77s for the EL34 sockets.. I run a pair of 6L6 and a pair of KT77s on the red and orange channel in vintage and modern modes ... monster tone! \m/

+1 for the Mesa tubes.
I just bought a matching quad of both 6L6 and EL34 Mesa tubes from Sweetwater and the EL34's make my Roadster track a lot faster and tighter.

Gold Lion KT77 are incredible tubes if you get then selected for the bias of your amp. I have a quad I use in my Mark V, they are pricey though and nearly cost as much as SED =C= EL34's. SED =C= EL34 were tops in my RA100 but supply is limited due to out of production. :( I decided to buy my last set and hope they perform as good as the one's I have now. (beware that there are many places selling 2nd quality for the same price) Also note: SED EL34 tubes use a larger glass bottle (actually same size as the GL KT77), larger than typical EL34 but smaller than a 6L6.

I have heard good things about the Tung Sol el34B but have not tried them myself. Not yet anyway.

Ruby EL34BHT will sound similar to a 6L6GC. I have a quad that I tried out in my RA100, not bad but not great either (just does not compare to the SED =C=.) However, I may give them a shot in the Roadster since the overall tone of that amp is quite different than the Mark V or RA100.

I have tried Tung Sol 7581 (basically used them up in the Mark V but they still in good working order) not an EL34 type but they did sound great in the Roadster. I may consider the Tung Sol EL34B sooner or later.

From left to right, Ruby EL34B (same diameter of 6L6 tube, also taller), KT77, SED=C=, EH, Mesa.
PA250051_zpsa42798be.jpg

Don't waste your time with the Ruby EL34BHT, they did not impress me in the Roadster.
Best options would be Mesa EL34, KT77 or SED =c=EL34. So far I have yet to discover a tube that is better than the =c=.

yes. You can however find some in some online tube stores for $$$, or go on eBay. It's also the same tube as the Mesa Str 442, which is out of production but can be found on eBay at times

Whoa these people are smoking some major crack asking those prices. Recent production tubes in similar price ranges of real Mullards? I guess I don't need to try them that bad. I could understand maybe $125-150, but $489? nyet!!!

You could order TAD EL34-SVT tubes. They're relabelled Svetlana Winged =C= and you can have a matched quartet for ~$200.

Latest posts

Back