Trouble getting a good lead sound with the LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with the original poster that switching the drive on gives a really harsh unmusical distortion sound. Leaving the drive off but turning the gain all the way up gives, a much warmer natural distortion but just not enough of it.

My question is, is there a tube that supports the drive distortion? If so, has anyone tried different ones to get a better sound from the drive?

For now I just leave the drive off and use the gain most of the way up for a slightly overdriven tone and then use a ts-9 dx turbo for higher gain and lead sounds.

-Eric

it took a while, but i really like this amp

for me, the key is to run through a compressor, set for slight boost, then into the amp

the clean channel is set for minimal grit, and the compressor makes it grittier and a little louder.... if i need a loud sparkling clean, turn off the compressor and use the solo footswitch option

the drive channel works great, but needs to be dialed in... leave the bass low... here i use the compressor for solo boost

Changing the power tubes makes a massive difference to the overdrive tone, and the preamp tubes improve it even more. NOS sound better than JJs, but cost more too. The Mesas are very harsh in comparison.

Do a search in the tubes forum section, where there is a full discussion of the different tubes people have tried in their LSSs.

And +1 to the compressor - I use mine in the loop (where you aren't supposed to), rather than in front of the amp, and it makes a big difference to the overdriven sound.

I'm not familiar with the LSS. But if you like the clean sound...alot...there are a few 'high end'pedals that offer a warm fat OD sound. The Fulltone Fulldrive sounds awesome as well as the Barber Direct Drive (which I use in my rig) The Tubescreamers and it's clones sound thin and tinny with a mid hump I don't care for.
If you have the money and can find one the Hermida Zen Drive is as good as it gets for that Robben Ford/Carlton/Dumble vibe.

It's a waste to only use half an amp considering the price. That's why I said..you have to like the clean channel ALOT!

Good luck!

I would also be interested in anyone getting musical sounds out of the drive setting

FFOGG said:
I would also be interested in anyone getting musical sounds out of the drive setting
I am very pleased with the sounds I'm getting from the LSS on channel 2 with the drive engaged. I used it to practice with my band all day yesterday with both a Tele and an SG, and had great results with both.

I run channel 2 for my rhythm playing with the drive at 11:00, gain at 2:00, Treble 11:00, mid 10:00, bass 9:00, Presence 11:00 - loop bypassed, 30 watt switch plugged into 8 ohm Mesa 2x12 Vertical with V30s. My settings are the similar for single coils and humbuckers, with the only differences being for single coils I run the gain at 3:00 and the bass at 10:00. I use a tube screamer for added drive and sustain for solos.

Myself and my band members really enjoy the sound, and it does tend to sound a bit less muddy with the Tele. The more I play through the LSS, the more I love it!

I'm using a basic pod compressor, which expectations aside on Line6 gear works great.

There is a thread with the overdrive tone which I'm getting. I'll bump it back up so you can check it out.

Back