Triple Rectifier, Road King or something else?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanformato

Reaction score
I currently have a Marshall JCM 800 2205 50 watt head but realize that this amp is not for me as it has good cleans, great crunch, but can't do over the top soloing well at all so I realize I need to go to mesa.

I played the triple rectifier (not for too long though) and liked it. Would it be worth it to get a road king? How similar and different are the road kings/triple rectifiers? Are there any options I am overlooking? I also have a 4x12 Mesa recto cabinet.

Thanks.
Ryan

It depends on what you're looking for. The RK is a TON of amplifier and might be overkill for your needs. Let us know what you need out of it.

One thing I have found during my brief personal experience with Boogies is that there will always be an option you've overlooked! :? I think they get a cruel pleasure out of the option anxiety they put us through.

If you are playing straight-ahead rock stuff, you'd probably be okay with a Recto, although from what I've read, the clean sounds can be doubtful.
As far as the RK goes... what Platypus said. I chose the RK because my styles range from ambient to metal, and I needed an amp that would do anything and everything. However, you may have to sell a kidney to get one. I found the Rect-O-Verb to have a perfectly acceptable clean tone, if that's any help.

If none of this helps, just wait a sec... there are some extremely knowledgeable BoogieMen (sorry) on this site, and if the answer's not here, it don't exist. :) Good luck mate!

Try the Dual Rec Roadster. Head or combo.
Basically it is the Road King without the ability to select various tube combinations. For a lot less dough.
Clean channels are Very good (channel taken from the Lonestar) as are the Tweed and Fat voicings (brit is nothing to write home about IMHO).
And you get all the gain in two separate channels that you already expect from a dual rec.
Channel assignable power (50/100W) and rectifier choice, as well as loop and reverb level. Nice!
To me, no need to buy a Triple or a Road King.
http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadster/roadster.html

I just traded my Single Rec in for the Roadster and it is everything I expected and more.

dave

I run a t rec and am thinking of upgrading to a RK. Here's what I've found from experience.

1, The clean tone is not good. It's too sterile and weak sounding. It's hard to eq and can get very honky sounding.

2, Channel 2 is hard to get a classic rock tone out of. It's in there but it's really easy to miss it. If you like/need that marshall crunch, it's not going to happen. The raw mode is nice but you need to push it to get a good rock rythme tone. The vintage mode is the best part of the whole amp for me. But if you're looking for a warm fat tone without a lot of gain, it's pretty tough.

3, I've found that the modern mode in both channel 2 and 3 to be too much for me. I do play a wide range of tones, and some of them are really heavy and I've never found a useful rhythm tone in the modern mode.

4 This amp does not like effects. I've been struggling with that one for 4 years. Cheap,expensive, stomp, rack is doesn;t seem to matter. The effect is either hard to notice, or it takes over your whole sound.

5, Get a Dual if you're playing anything short of stadiums. This amp can sound killer but it like all tube amp the more you turn it up the better is sounds, and this amp can be fucking loud.

It may seem like I'm dogging this amp but I'm not. It's just not as versitile as I thought it should be based on it's features. It does heavy rock tone wonderfully but IMO it struggles with everything else. When I bought my rec I was really wanting the RK but at the time it was out of my price range. I'll be checking one out this week.

I need something with at least 3 channels to get

Clean, Crunch, and Searing Lead.

It seems the Road King, and the Triple rectifier both do this. I want this amp for live/recordings gigs and I see that the dual rectifier roadster may also do this...researching it now..

Thanks.

ryanformato said:
I need something with at least 3 channels to get

Clean, Crunch, and Searing Lead.

It seems the Road King, and the Triple rectifier both do this. I want this amp for live/recordings gigs and I see that the dual rectifier roadster may also do this...researching it now..

Thanks.

I don't want to say that the Dual/Triple rectos aren't good for leads, because those tones can be found, but you'd be better off with a Roadster I think. It will give you 4 channels and all the Mesa tones you could want from great cleans to rectifier distortion and everything inbetween. It's considerably cheaper than the RK and might be the ticket for you.

I just read it and it seems awesome. The only thing I am worried about is how "new" it is and can't be had for used prices.

I can pick up a Triple Rectifier for about $1100. The roadster head retails new for $1899......

ryanformato said:
I just read it and it seems awesome. The only thing I am worried about is how "new" it is and can't be had for used prices.

I can pick up a Triple Rectifier for about $1100. The roadster head retails new for $1899......

Yeah and the RK will run you 2400! :shock:

The cleans aren't anything to write home about with the Triple..

If you need the tones you have to spend the bones unfortunately.

yeah, but the cleans are usable. At least to me. I like the clean tones I get outta my Trip. Sure they're not Fenderlike, but they do pretty well to my ears. Buy the triple, and if you need cleans, get a fender combo and an a/b switcher. lol.

-AJH

Have you tried an overdrive/boost pedal in front of your Marshall for your third channel?

You might try an Ace if you like the Marshall tone. Just some options.

here I am again pushing the roadster...but it seems to offer what you are looking for.

Back