triple rec issue (buzz and such)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohaire

Reaction score
I posted about this before and general consensus was that my problem is a ground loop. But along with the ground loop buzz, i'll get a really electrical sounding crackle coming through and it seems to be like 100x worse when i plug in a guitar with passive pups.

I just ordered a monster power pro 2500 to hopefully clean up the power issue, but this crackling has got me worried there might be something seriously wrong, because it really doesn't sound healthy at all. Could this possibly be my tranny? or something else? It's still under warranty, but trying to trouble shoot before i take it to a shop because my closest mesa dealer is 2 hrs away.

help!

Try unplugging the footswitch while it's powered up and see if that helps, I've gone through 2 of mesa boogies 7 pin cables for my footswitch before just ordering a different because they would cause strange noises and my footswitch wouldn't work all the time, just one more thing to try. Power tubes can sound like that as well if they aren't matched or one is going out. Try pulling the rectifier tubes and running it in diode mode too.

the power tubes are brand new, matched from doug's tubes. Pre-amp tubes are brand new too from doug as well.

Tried pulling the rec tubes, no dice. Same with pulling the footswitch.

This is getting frustrating =\

The difference due to passive vs active pups is a mystery to me.

Two things that I have found to cause crackling have been bad capacitors in the power conditioning circuit and inverter tubes that are not balanced.

See if the gain values are listed on the box your inverter tube came in - the two shouldn't be different by more than 5.

Latest posts

Back