Triple Rec: Is this normal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
I picked up a used 3 channel Triple Rec a while back. The clean channel is unusually dark sounding to me... as in I have to literally max out the treble and presence to get a normal bright sound out of it. If I don't max these out it sounds like the tone on my guitar is rolled all the way off. Once i crank the treble and presense it sounds fine but I have a feeling I shouldn't have to do this.

Is this normal?

Is this a sign of needing new tubes? Preamp? Poweramp?

Is your guitar single coil or humbucker? humbucker is thicker so it might have something to do with that. also is your clean in the clean or pushed?

as far as tubes, how old are the tubes? check your first preamp tubes, start with V1 which is next to the input jack (you want a high gain here) for the last tube, you would want a "balanced 12ax7". You should have 5 preamp tubes. I suggest changing your V1 since it handles all the 3 channels. It won't hurt to look at your power tubes and rectifier tubes but i suspect V1 is the culprit.

gonzald1 said:
Is your guitar single coil or humbucker? humbucker is thicker so it might have something to do with that. also is your clean in the clean or pushed?

as far as tubes, how old are the tubes? check your first preamp tubes, start with V1 which is next to the input jack (you want a high gain here) for the last tube, you would want a "balanced 12ax7". You should have 5 preamp tubes. I suggest changing your V1 since it handles all the 3 channels. It won't hurt to look at your power tubes and rectifier tubes but i suspect V1 is the culprit.

The pickup makes no difference - its' the same issue with my strat, les paul and ibanzez with EMG's. It's on Clean. Pushed sounds a little less dark. Both preamp and power tubes are stock Mesa tubes so I'm taking a wild guess here and thinking they are the original tubes.

SonVolt said:
The pickup makes no difference - its' the same issue with my strat, les paul and ibanzez with EMG's. It's on Clean. Pushed sounds a little less dark. Both preamp and power tubes are stock Mesa tubes so I'm taking a wild guess here and thinking they are the original tubes.

Start with your V1 preamp first and go from there.

gonzald1 said:
SonVolt said:

Would there be any problem with me popping a 12ax7 out of my Fender Princeton and putting it in V1 of the triple?

SonVolt said:
gonzald1 said:
SonVolt said:

Would there be any problem with me popping a 12ax7 out of my Fender Princeton and putting it in V1 of the triple?

you should be alright just to try it out.

I have the same issue with the clean channel. It completely is so low compared to the other channels. (Then when you first turn on the amp and switch from Ch 3 to Ch 2 you get a loud POP sound, doesn't happen after the first time you do it, whats the deal with that) I have 2 Triple Recs, one has all MESA TUBES in it, The Other has all Groove Tube in it, does it on both units. Both built in 2002.

I have to end up cranking up the master out first. Then go back and balance out 2 and 3 against the clean channel. I don't like pissing off the FOH guy.

Also I've retubed my main TR that has all MESA Tubes with new 6L6's and 5U's, but haven't done the preamp tubes. These preamp tubes are the original ones that are about 9 years old now. I am however getting a lot of hum out of amp have been since day one. Tried replacing everything in the chain, cables, Furman PS conditioner etc...I'm having to push my Super-C dead center of Threshold Control and Threshold Gate. Which is killing off trails on delay etc.. in the loop. My rig is setup this way. So maybe I'm doing something completely wrong. Let me know if I am so I can fix it.

Guitar > VolumePedal > Wah > Boss TU2 Tuner > Rocktron Tremolo > Boss CE-2 > Phaser PH-2 > Korg Rack Tuner > Hush in > Hush Out > Triple Rec in
The rest of my Effects are in the loop
Cabinet is MESA 4x12 Straight w/ 30W Vintage Spkrs.

photo.php

Thanks for the help.
I am considering maybe going with a Ground Control, GCX and G-Major2 and dumping all the analog pedals if anybody has this layout I'd be interested to see some pics or videos of it, especially how to's on program the Ground Control.

Cheers!

guitarguts1 said:
Thanks for the help.
I am considering maybe going with a Ground Control, GCX and G-Major2 and dumping all the analog pedals if anybody has this layout I'd be interested to see some pics or videos of it, especially how to's on program the Ground Control.

Cheers!

I recently switched to a G-Major 2 with my Mark V and there is no going back to pedals in the loop. So much more professional, clear and transparent sounding.

What are you using to control the amp and the TC?

SonVolt said:

I recently switched to a G-Major 2 with my Mark V and there is no going back to pedals in the loop. So much more professional, clear and transparent sounding.

guitarguts1 said:
What are you using to control the amp and the TC?

SonVolt said:

My finger. A GCP and GCX are on my wish list.

guitarguts1 said:
I have the same issue with the clean channel. It completely is so low compared to the other channels. (Then when you first turn on the amp and switch from Ch 3 to Ch 2 you get a loud POP sound, doesn't happen after the first time you do it, whats the deal with that) I have 2 Triple Recs, one has all MESA TUBES in it, The Other has all Groove Tube in it, does it on both units. Both built in 2002.

I have to end up cranking up the master out first. Then go back and balance out 2 and 3 against the clean channel. I don't like pissing off the FOH guy.

Also I've retubed my main TR that has all MESA Tubes with new 6L6's and 5U's, but haven't done the preamp tubes. These preamp tubes are the original ones that are about 9 years old now. I am however getting a lot of hum out of amp have been since day one. Tried replacing everything in the chain, cables, Furman PS conditioner etc...I'm having to push my Super-C dead center of Threshold Control and Threshold Gate. Which is killing off trails on delay etc.. in the loop. My rig is setup this way. So maybe I'm doing something completely wrong. Let me know if I am so I can fix it.

Guitar > VolumePedal > Wah > Boss TU2 Tuner > Rocktron Tremolo > Boss CE-2 > Phaser PH-2 > Korg Rack Tuner > Hush in > Hush Out > Triple Rec in
The rest of my Effects are in the loop
Cabinet is MESA 4x12 Straight w/ 30W Vintage Spkrs.

photo.php

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

As far as popping noise goes, you have to completely drain the cap to eliminate this. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO HAVE SOMEONE DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY CONFIDENT, IT COULD KILL YOU. Know how and experience doing this is very important!

9 years is long over due. time to change your preamp tubes. You might already know it. But your V1 preamp is close to the input jack. I suggest high gain sovtek, tungsol, JJ or Electro Harmonix. I use tungsol (balanced - phase inverter) for the last preamp tube. This is just a suggestion of course.

Back