Triaxis with 20:20

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerax

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm putting together my system after a few years of pause.
Its last incarnation was based around the Triaxis and 2:90. I've sold the 2:90, I now kind of regret it as it's a great power amp but it was far too loud and far too heavy to lug around the kind of gigs I used to do.

I'm heading toward the 20:20 as that wattage and weight is more suitable to my situation now, while still maintaining the Mesa sound.

How's that going to pair with my Triaxis? I red mixed comments about that, some good, some not so enthusiastic...

I also red about this "deep" mod some use to make on it to give it a bit more bass response. Any infos about that?

Thanx

L.G.

Hi

Thanx for your reply; you know, the combo Triaxis/2:90 is killer also because they are designed to work in tandem; can you describe the difference tonewise between the two power amps (wattage apart)?

Thanx

I hated my 20/20. It was OK at home, but on the gig it quickly ran out of gas. It has no headroom, and compresses early, which a lot of people like. However, I like the punch of amps like the F50, so the 20/20 sounds anemic to me. In addition, at high volume, it can't push the current to reproduce low frequencies, so it gets screechy. I like my 50/50 way more. It's not any louder than the 20/20, but it keeps its tonal character much better.

For the same money you can buy a mid 80 to late 80's 50/50 cheaper ($400-$550 depending on condition) on Ebay and never look back. Full power it's 50 watts half power it's 15 watts. Perfect for home or medium venue. I own 2 50/50's and it's my favorite rack amp all around. I also own a 2:90, and a Strategy 400 and 500. Never owned a 20/20 because I could get more watt per dollar. I have a friend that plays medium venues with a 20/20. He has a good sound but it is thin and lacks balls.

The 20/20 simply has a different sound, more aggressive, more bite or crunch, but lessssssss headroom for sure. I personnaly love it, but I love my TA with the 295 too... depending what I'm playing.
Try it if you can and make your own opinion.

you will freaking love the 20/20....great amp....check out my songs in my signature below and they were all done with that combo.

Latest posts

Back