triaxis vs recifier recording preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro

Reaction score
whats the diff with the version on the triaxis?
can you get the same tone from a rec preamp on a triaxis ?
the one i have says version 2

bro said:
whats the diff with the version on the triaxis?
can you get the same tone from a rec preamp on a triaxis ?
the one i have says version 2

The Rectifier Pre sounds like the Rectifier series of heads, the Triaxis does not. As far as I know the Triaxis cannot reproduce a Rectifier tone no matter what version.

Mark
www.thesamhillband.com

+1 with Mark

If you want the sound of a Recto get the Recto Recording preamp. If you want the Mark sounds get the Triaxis.

+Mike+

If you want the recto sound, buy a recto head !
the recto pre is far from the head sound (I've A/B tested my former recto pre with a single recto head series 2) and the pre is less fat, less grindy.

I haven't tried with matching mesa 2:100, maybe both can do the job.

One thing sure, the recto pre clean channel is pretty cool.

Supposedly, the Rectro Preamp is basically the exact preamp section from a Rectifier, and the 2:100 is the exact Rectifier power section. Mesa claims that when you mate them together, it should sound the exact same as a Rectifier head.

btw - you can get a Triaxis to sound closer to a Rectifier by using an external EQ, which allows match more detailed tone shaping than is available on a stock Triaxis..

Chris_Lonerock said:
I haven't tried with matching mesa 2:100, maybe both can do the job.

One thing sure, the recto pre clean channel is pretty cool.

Actually that's the point. I think too many compare without the 2:100 and that's maybe why the recto pre his not well known. I've tried mine with a 2:50...oh my God I feel I'm lucky that I didn't buy it instead of the 2:100!

Still there is a little difference (when you compare all recifiers) in the sound but not enough for the most of the people to hear it. Personnally, I'm used to play on the recto and never ever I'm going to change for a dual rectifier. I like the authority of the power and the clean channel(fat mode, mark series replica) is a lot better. And most of the people don't know that the solo function is a second mode(vintage) that can be switched on the dirty channel instead of the overall boost of the dual recto. Yes it (solo) doesn't boost the clean channel on the recto pre but it's a rackmount preamp and rackmount processor (that you're probably going to use) usually have a 6db boost that can be use for the clean channel.

For my part, I adjust the solo level (they should call that vintage level) at the same level with the ouput level so it make a third channel that I can use for 70's music or for my solo when i want more mid(I have so much mid on the vintage mode that I don't feel I need any boost on the volume, I'm satisfied like this).

There is a part in the recto pre manual they explain the solo mode and they say you can order a schematic if you prefer to mod (or make it done by a tech) the solo mode as an overall boost (then it will boost the clean channel too) but they suggest to try it first cause it's a very good configuration.

I'm not telling anybody go and buy a recto pre right away! But I read a lot of the forum on the web (or check out on google group about any subject if you want to) to many people are giving their opinion and too many contradict each other...go and see by yourself don't be to much in rush and you will save a lot of money instead of regret your purchase, sell it back(with loss of money) and rebuild your guitar rig 3 time.

Latest posts

Back