Triaxis Question - Versions and Mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi,
I just sold my Mark IV combo and was going to buy a short head, but just changed my mind and decided to CONSIDER a Triaxis.

Can you guys explain to me (in some detail) the differences between Version 1 and 2, as well as what exactly the phat mod does tonally and physically, and which version is more desirable.

HAHA, one step closer to the dark side :twisted: Soon you'll be wondering if you should get something more like a ...... RECTO!!!! :twisted:

I've been considering a Triaxis to compliment both my recto and mark IV as well, either that or a lonestar, I'm interested in the differences between versions as well.

I just realized that I posted in the wrong section. Guess I was used to posting in Vintage Amps. How do I get it moved?

Boogiebabies said:
Why Lord, why ?

Not sure what exactly you're asking about. Since I go to college far away from home, I figured that it'd be more practical to have a head, a cab at home, and a cab at college. That way I could transport the head back and forth - much easier than moving a whole combo.

Triaxis: just started considering it because of more tonal flexibility, ability to save patches, and MIDI for communication with other MIDI compatible devices like TC Electronics Effects. Also, I could pair it with a 20/20 and eliminate the need for that attenuator I was planning to get.

Does that answer your, uh, question? lol

I really can’t tell you about all of the different Tri Axes but I did have version 2 with the phat mod. It really is a wonderful sounding piece but you may want to invest in a 2:90 as opposed to a 20/20 (I know you probably want to watch price and weight) but the Triaxes really shines with this power amp. Plus with the three voicing’s on the 2:90 power amp are awesome, and it’s like adding even more voicing’s to the Triaxes, (I would like to say triple but some of the combinations are useless) Version 2 does support real time manipulation this was my favorite part! I use to love morphing my tone as opposed to channel switching. Very cool leaning on a expression pedal and having maybe my gain decrease, mids drop a little, bass increase, presence drop and of course effects changing accordingly also. (you will spend some time programming) I use to love this setup. B U T !
At the time I also had a Mark IV not aware of it till someone pointed it out to me but every time I did recording work I always stuck to the Mark IV even if my rack with the Triaxes was sitting right there. (used the same cabinet BTW) I just love the attack of the head it just feels different to me. A few years ago something had to go I sold my Triaxes and 2:90 could not part with the IV!!
Still would not mind another Triaxes & 2:90!

Yes, there are benefits to the 2:90, but...!!!

JAZZGEAR said:
Having owned and giged with a Triaxis for over 10 years, I can tell you that it is best mated with the 2:90 for the true blue Mark tones.

However the 20/20 sounds unbelievable through the Triaxis....and through the years' I've come to prefer it over the 2:90.

with the 2:90, I found it extremely difficult to control it in smaller venues, volume wise -- too low didn't get the saturation I wanted, too high , well you know the rest. The 20/20, IMHO seems like an even better mate for the Triaxis. And I never ever missed the Deep, Half & Modern Modes.

Foot print and weight aside, the 20/20 is more dynamic than the 2:90, and the lead tones are better IMHO with the 20/20 (those EL84s saturate easier than do those 8 6L6 monsters).

I have never missed not having the graphic EQ on the Triaxis. I found I could always get my sound with the controls onboard and the dynamic voice. Plus I used the EQ onboard my G Force to further accentuate the frequencies desired.

IMHO if you're giggig more small to medium venues, I'd go with the 20/20.

For the larger venues, then you really need the 2:90 -- even mic'd as I personally don't like the EL84s when they become too compressed from pushing them so hard (But that is is going to be a very loud situation).

Also, the 2:90 only distinguished itself, volumewise from the 20/20 in the really large venues.

You will find that the 20/20 is just as loud (if not louder) than the 2:90 at the same dial settings on the amp - - up to about 1:30) then the 2:90 takes the lead (i.e. 1 O'clock on the 20/20 is super louder than on that same setting on the 2:90).

And those who own the 20/20 will tell you that 1:00 setting on this amp is super duper loud -- I never had to push mine past 12:00.....usually lived around 9 to 11:00

Random Hero said:
Boogiebabies said:
Why Lord, why ?

Not a fan, then.

Just a heckler.

I do think a Triaxis and a 20/20 is a very nice rig, but IMO the 20/20 is still **** loud. EL84's react in a different way than 6L6's and EL34's so I don't know how much natural bottom end you will get, unlike the 2:90. It has the switch to cut the negative feedback loop and give you a Modern Rectifier power section. They are obnoxiously loud. I was repairing a 2:95 for a local studio and when I finished I slave in from a IIC+ and then out to four 4X12's. I swear I heard drywall cracking. My hearing went in about 2 minutes. No cops though. I would have faced the cabs towards the door and blasted them with a sonic boom.

visualrocker69 said:
I just realized that I posted in the wrong section. Guess I was used to posting in Vintage Amps. How do I get it moved?

Boogiebabies said:
Why Lord, why ?

Not sure what exactly you're asking about. Since I go to college far away from home, I figured that it'd be more practical to have a head, a cab at home, and a cab at college. That way I could transport the head back and forth - much easier than moving a whole combo.

Triaxis: just started considering it because of more tonal flexibility, ability to save patches, and MIDI for communication with other MIDI compatible devices like TC Electronics Effects. Also, I could pair it with a 20/20 and eliminate the need for that attenuator I was planning to get.

Does that answer your, uh, question? lol

You can't hide.

Question answered. Just remember, a Triaxis and 20/20 will be easy to steal. I would bring a Pod. Once someone knows what you have, someone will sell it for beer.

Boogiebabies said:
Random Hero said:
Boogiebabies said:
Why Lord, why ?

Not a fan, then.

Just a heckler.

I do think a Triaxis and a 20/20 is a very nice rig, but IMO the 20/20 is still **** loud. EL84's react in a different way than 6L6's and EL34's so I don't know how much natural bottom end you will get, unlike the 2:90. It has the switch to cut the negative feedback loop and give you a Modern Rectifier power section. They are obnoxiously loud. I was repairing a 2:95 for a local studio and when I finished I slave in from a IIC+ and then out to four 4X12's. I swear I heard drywall cracking. My hearing went in about 2 minutes. No cops though. I would have faced the cabs towards the door and blasted them with a sonic boom.

Metal.

I had an early version II with a Fifty/Fifty and an MPX G2 and loved it in band situations. I could get any sound and run in stereo. It really gave my three piece band a solid and full sound. I'm not in a band now so I went to two combos. A greenstripe Mark III and a Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary. I find it easier to haul a 1x12 combo around than a rack and 2 1x12 cabinets. You will have more sound options with the Tri-Axis which is great if you play a variety of styles.
Capdunn

Latest posts

Back