Old and New !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, at age 65 I just got my first boogie ! Decided to take advantage of an opportunity that presented itself to get a MK V head at a great price.
Started playing when I was 10, obviously did not have what it takes to become a guitar hero, or that would be known for a long time, but never found anything or any place that gave more sense to being than playing music.

Now I'll need help figuring out how to best use this thing for the music I play. NOt a metal fan, as you would maybe expect :)
Mostly into classic rock, blues and 70's progressive rock.

First question I have is please suggest settings I can start with to find the tones I need for that old timer's music !

Well, at age 65 I just got my first boogie ! Decided to take advantage of an opportunity that presented itself to get a MK V head at a great price.
Started playing when I was 10, obviously did not have what it takes to become a guitar hero, or that would be known for a long time, but never found anything or any place that gave more sense to being than playing music.

Now I'll need help figuring out how to best use this thing for the music I play. NOt a metal fan, as you would maybe expect :)

First question I have is please suggest settings I can start with to find the tones I need for that old timer's music !
Congrats on your new amp! I'll be following your journey. I'm interested in this amp and how well it would work in a variety/cover band application.

Congrats and welcome aboard. I don't own a V, but a IV A. I'm sure that other V owners will chime in with some good settings to start you off with!

I'm 66. I recently got my first Boogie. I'm a "Marshall guy." I guess I'm not a metal head, especially not Metallica.
They say my settings are 180° from "everyone else on here.
I play in a cover band. Lots of 80's material.
Here are my settings if you'd like to try them.
I did switch my power tubes to EL34 and I use the Variac power mode. Those thing may make a difference.
https://boogieforum.com/threads/mark-five-variac-power-and-el34-power-tubes.87433/post-536346

I am very happy with my Mesa Boogie Mark Five amps.
I just recently got a nice Mesa Boogie Vertical 2X12 cab for my Mesa Boogie Mark Five head.
https://boogieforum.com/threads/post-your-mark-v-photos.86781/post-542306

Latest posts

Back