Triaxis question concerning power amp selection

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fret-Shredder

Reaction score
Been lurking around here and finally had a question for you guys.My musical tastes are DREAM THEATER , Symphony X , Megadeth, NEVERMORE ... you get it. I have a Triaxis currently powered by a Simul/Class 295. (super heavy) I have a chance to purchase a 2:50 or a 50/50 from the same guy for a great price. I am not in a band anymore and play for enjoyment and to continue learning. My cabs are 1X12 Thiele closed backs with EV300watt speakers. The 295 sounds FAT with tight low end tone. But I really want to downsize to a lighter power amp. I am gettin to old to lug that heavy *** rack around. 42 years young. What do you guys think I should do? 2:50 or 50/50? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks , Michael

I responded to the original post but I will reiterate here. Either 2:50 or 50/50 will yield nice results. If you want to really relieve some weight cut down to a 20/20.

The mesa 20/20 is a good choice if you want to downsize the poweramp using another mesa product. It sounds very well if you want less power, less weight and also a tube power amp. Take a look to the Brunetti rockit. It's also a good power amp.For home practicing i find more usefull a simple power amp like a rocktron velocity or a marshall 8008. They are much cheaper and you can use the 2:95 later, in a band or for big gigs.

A complete tubes rig can be damaged by many factors and sometimes a transistor power amp can save your *** during a session. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: At least for the power amp section.

ciao :wink:

Marvell said:
A complete tubes rig can be damaged by many factors and sometimes a transistor power amp can save your *** during a session. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: At least for the power amp section.

ciao :wink:

I could never sacrifice my tone to give into a SS amp regardless.

quote]I could never sacrifice my tone to give into a SS amp regardless.[/quote]

me too, but i've listened some amazing tones coming out from transistor power amp and also some horribles tones from tube amplifiers and vice versa. The players make the difference..not the rig he uses. IMHO

peace

8)

Fret-Shredder said:
I have a Triaxis currently powered by a Simul/Class 295. (super heavy) I have a chance to purchase a 2:50 or a 50/50 from the same guy for a great price. I am not in a band anymore and play for enjoyment and to continue learning. My cabs are 1X12 Thiele closed backs with EV300watt speakers. The 295 sounds FAT with tight low end tone. But I really want to downsize to a lighter power amp. What do you guys think I should do? 2:50 or 50/50? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks , Michael
I use the 50/50 with my TriAxis and I think it's a perfect combination. I really like the fact that with the 50/50 you have the hi/lo power switch that was eliminated on the 2:50. I also use a pair of Mesa Thiele 1-12's with EVM's and this setup sounds REALLY good. It also sounds great when I switch the poweramp to lo and run through a 2-12" stereo cab loaded with Celestion Blues. In high power it's loud enough to play anywhere I take it and on low it's great for at home.

Latest posts

Back