Triaxis Opamp swap comparo clips!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell the difference between any of those clips. They all sound the same to me. That is to say, they all sound excellent.

You know, I think I do actually hear it. I'd have a hard time telling the OPA2134 and the OPA2604 apart but I do think the TL072 sounds a bit more scooped/harsh, the ringing chords go "psssssh!" where the new opamps have more 'bloom' to them for lack of a better word...

I'm tempted to put the clips in Sonar and make sure it's not all in my head, but I do *think* I hear it.

CudBucket said:
I can't tell the difference between any of those clips. They all sound the same to me. That is to say, they all sound excellent.

Yes, listening back on these clips, there's not a huge difference. However, I recorded these in 88.2/24 bit. At this rate it's quite easy to hear a differece while in the recording program. So in the 44.1/16 conversion, there must have been some degradation. :oops:

There really is a big difference. It's easy to tell while listening to the raw waves. Especially sitting in front of the amp and swapping opamps. :!:

Maybe you could make another clip that swaps back and forth every 5 seconds between the two, like play a phrase and then swaps opamps and play the same phrase, would allow people's ears to discern the difference.

The biggest difference in this will be going from the stock TL072 to the burr brown.

Greg

Oh and listening to the clips......where are the clean samples? The distorted tones sound too similar with either but the clean tones are a world apart due to the clipping of the TL072. Like I said earlier if you are going to run the gain high it is VERY hard to tell the difference between the stock opamp and the BB but on the clean and mid gain tones the dynamics are increased.

Greg

I already reassemble and reinstalled the TriAxis back into my rack. It's the OPA2604 all' the way! It's a no brainer. I've been playing for the last hour or so, and it's a real joy. It's super rich and dynamic. Rolling back on the the volume brings out the dynamics on a high gain clip, and then volume back up is stout and clear.

I'm really dissappointed in how those clips turned out. There's a big difference in sound bettween the stock and the Burr Brown. I guess I won't bother recording in higher sample rates anymore. All' the detail gets washed over when downsampling. :x I learned something there... :idea:

I tried to upload the raw waves, but Comcast limits uploads to 8meg. These clips are about 21meg. If anyone knows where I can upload bigger files, I'd be happy to do it.

To offset the added richness of the 2604, I bumped up my treble by 1 from the posted settings, and that's it. It's really nice.

All I have to say at this point is to just do the mod. You'll deffinately notice a big difference.

leadfootdriver said:
All I have to say at this point is to just do the mod. You'll deffinately notice a big difference.

That's what I've been saying all along. I didn't have clips to back it up before but my TA isn't even here with me so it's a bit hard to provide clips. I will try to get some once I swap out the 50/50 for a 20/20.

Anyway, thanks for providing clips (I can definitely hear a difference if I A/B the clips but I feel the money is in the clean and mid gain settings they are sooo **** dynamic!).

I suggest try bringing up a nice midgain tone with LD2 Yel and make it so it cuts/grinds when you dig in but sits nicely when you're just picking softer. That was the challenge of the stock TA IMO and was the initial reason I thought the Quad Preamp was the end all preamp.

Greg

hey I'm a triaxis noob, can anyone tell me the function of that op-amp? I thought it was just a device for controlling the rearrangement of the circuitry

All the signal passes through the opamp all the time. It is used for the effects loop and Dynamic Voice. You might think mesa would implement an effects loop bypass that would eliminate that opamp so you have a clear signal path but even with the loop turned off and the DV at 0 all of the signal goes through that opamp. If they chose a better opamp I don't think as many people would rag on the TA as much as some do.

Greg

Back to the 2134.
I should have mine in a couple days, I already dropped in the socket (that was a lot of fun :x ), and I've got another 2134 for my GCX that I've socketed, so Tuesday is going to be fun, then I get to start wiring my rig, probably take me a few days for mapping signal path and getting my midi all working and then I'll be a happy man.

Latest posts

Back