Triaxis Midi Control Pedal (advice needed) Thanks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jont5547

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Triaxis...It is an incredible unit, however it has thrust me head long into the midi abyss. I've been all about tone, tube, and straight forward setups. So now I have three pressing issues?

1. What are some recommended midi control pedals for the triaxis
(I guess they don't make the abacus anymore). I don't need to control anything else other then the Triaxis. I have two line 6 pedals running in the effects loop section.

2. Do I have to use a 7pin midi unit?

3. what type/brand of interface do I need to load and back up presets to my computer.

Thanks so much for any advice

i've done some research on footswitches for the triaxis, thoughi don't own one just yet. the footswitch that i have found to be real good is the Digital Music Ground Control Pro. you can control a lot of functions with it. lots and lots of buttons you can preset.

about the 7pin midi unit, i don't know but i believe that the ground control pro can be powered by the triaxis through a 7pin midi cable.

and i have no clue how to backup presets onto the computer.

i hope any of this helped.

+Mike+

I picked up a Rocktron midi mate via ebay. It has the 7pin midi cable and uses phantom power. I also found other Triaxis owners who use this pedal and say they have been happy with it's functional, yet straight forward design. I'm looking forward to working with it.

I am still interested in any help regarding a midi interface for computer backups of presets.

Thanks

I've had my TriAxis for almost a month now and after checking into every midi controller I could find, I settled on the Ground Control Pro which is made by Digital Music Corp. As for 5 or 7 pin midi cables, you can use a 5 pin cable with both the TriAxis and the GCP but you'll have to plug the power supply for the GCP directly into it that way. What the 7 pin cable allows you to do is to plug the GCP's power cable into a speacial plug on the back of the TriAxis which then transfers that power through the 7 pin cable (phantom power) to the GCP, which means instead of having to run both the midi cable and a power wire to the GCP, you only have to run the midi cable since the power is now running through the midi cable.

Jont5547 said:
I recently picked up a Triaxis...It is an incredible unit, however it has thrust me head long into the midi abyss. I've been all about tone, tube, and straight forward setups. So now I have three pressing issues?

1. What are some recommended midi control pedals for the triaxis
(I guess they don't make the abacus anymore). I don't need to control anything else other then the Triaxis. I have two line 6 pedals running in the effects loop section.

2. Do I have to use a 7pin midi unit?

3. what type/brand of interface do I need to load and back up presets to my computer.

Thanks so much for any advice

1.) I've heard great things about the Ground Control Pro as well, and ordered one for $375 at Guitar Center. Problem is, it will be March when I get it... :-/

2.) You don't have to use a 7pin, but I recommend it. The Ground Control Pro supports Phantom Power, so you can plug its power supply into the back of the TriAxis, then use the 7pin midi connector and it'll route power through the 2 extra pins. Sweet stuff.

3.) There is 3rd party software available (not made by Mesa) that allows you to download it to Windows. I've never used it as I don't use Windows, but I'm thinking about writing an application to let you do it on Mac. I just need my version 3.whatever TriAxis to get in first (sometime in March - April). :?

From what I have found out the Ground Control unit is great, no doubt about it! I'm going to try a Rocktron Midi mate, it's not as fancy, but I think it will serve my purpose...if not...it's gone and I go with the Ground Control unit.

Do you know what the 3rd party software is? (I use windows, although I'd like to move to mac for my protools stuff, but thats a different web board)

Any clue as to what interface hardware I need for upload and backup of the triaxis?

Thanks.

Jont5547 said:
From what I have found out the Ground Control unit is great, no doubt about it! I'm going to try a Rocktron Midi mate, it's not as fancy, but I think it will serve my purpose...if not...it's gone and I go with the Ground Control unit.

Do you know what the 3rd party software is? (I use windows, although I'd like to move to mac for my protools stuff, but thats a different web board)

Any clue as to what interface hardware I need for upload and backup of the triaxis?

Thanks.

I think this is the software you need (once again, I'm not sure since I don't really use Windows):

http://www.triaxis-page.com/shared/zip/tri_edit.zip

Let me know how it works. When I get around to actually writing a Mac midi interface, I'm going to look into compatibility w/this version, I guess. We shall see. Can't get much done w/out an actual TriAxis ;-)

I picked up an Abacus on Ebay for a little over 100 bux. I got the older model, which doesn't have the phantom power capabilities, but has the link for the Matrix. There are two on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3781015137&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41419&item=3781149450&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Both support the phantom power, and the one comes with the cable.

it shouldnt be that hard to mod any foot controller that doesnt support
phantom power. all you need is a 7pin female jack and a soldering iron
and about 25 minutes.

I use a ADA MPC works great 7pin midi cable and uses phantom power.
And it is small goes in the rack when not playing.

GCP user here. love it.

I have a unit for midi preset backups that might work out just perfect for what you're looking for. Its an Alesis Data Disk. Very simply plug a midi cable from your 'out' to the ADD 'in' and select 'load' on the ADD when you hit 'dump' on your unit. Storage media is the standard 3.5" floppy disk. I think I still have the manual for it too. A bit archaic, but worked last time I used it. No interface required, other than a midi cable.

Anyone interested? $50 plus maybe $10 shipping? Its rack mount, great condition. Still have the original box.

I use the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller - works fine. Only down side is that it needs mains power, 240V here in the UK. However, there are various mods that can be done to it so that it receives its low voltage power through the midi cable. Of course you would then need to supply the Triaxis with the loe voltage supply so that it can then send it thro' the midi cable.
Ian

I use the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller - works fine. Only down side is that it needs mains power, 240V here in the UK. However, there are various mods that can be done to it so that it receives its low voltage power through the midi cable. Of course you would then need to supply the Triaxis with the loe voltage supply so that it can then send it thro' the midi cable.
Ian

jong said:
What did you end up doing?

Another Ground Control Pro user here... very satisfied so far.

Thanks for the follow up. I still have the rocktron, although it is not standing up to the demands I put on it. I've patched it along, but I'm going to switch to a GCP, I'm looking into also using the rackmount line 6 pedals and a switcher to make better use of another pre-amp that I like for specific applications.

Latest posts

Back