Triaxis, 20/20 into a What cab? advise.. Please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevort

Reaction score
I just bought a Triaxis used and a 20/20 power amp for recording. The only thing left is the cab( fx later).
I also have a Lonestar single 12 amp and a Traynor Blue 50.
I thought about selling them although I might keep the Lonestar for
a looser sound?
Anyway, Any advice? I was told and always believed not to use
a 4x12' cab cos' it's harder to record, bull? or true?
Any benefits to 4x12'? or not? Single? or stereo? Open or closed?
I thought maybe stereo since that is what it is? For recording only.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Trevor

You can go a lot of routes. I wouldn't get two EV thieles because there's no tonal diversity incase you want a different sound.

A good thing to try might be 1 thiele and 1 open C90 cab

212 cab with V30's

2 112 with V30's

2 widebody cabs with a c90 and v30 mix

212 cab with v30 and c90 mix (i am using this with my mark iv currently but I have not had a chance to crank it up yet)

1 EV thiele and 1 v30 closed back cab

Your options are only limited to your budget. If you need something on the cheap I would suggest a 212 because stereo guitar isn't practical IMO. My Line 6 Spider Valve combo sounds great to my ears with decent projection. It's my first run with a V30 speaker in an open back cab and the distorted aspect is really benefitting from it although the clean does lack the sparkle EV's tend to give off. The V30 sounds pretty good when you push it into a nice breakup IMO.

This suggestion is coming from someone that currently owns 3 EV thieles, 212 halfback cab (with C90 up top and I switched out the EV for a V30), and a 412 roadready metal grill cab with 2 c90's and 2 EV's (DO NOT GET THIS CAB IT WEIGHS MORE THAN OPRAH DID IN THE EARLY 90's!!!!). I am now selling 2 of the Thieles because, while they sound good, I like the diversity the 212 brings to the table if I am in the mood for a more traditional rock tone.

Think of your tone like an investment, you don't want to have only 1 option incase trends or tastes change and now you are at a loss to change gear looking for something different. Speakers are probably the most common way to change your tone in a huge way so why not get a head start and have a couple options on hand to experiment with? You can pick up used speakers on the 'bay for cheap too and by trading out your old ones i doubt you'd be losing out that much if at all.

Greg

I have successfully used and recorded 4x12s in a number of contexts and gotten good results (at least to my ears). I've even recorded a stereo 4x12 in stereo, so it can be done. I didn't find it any harder or easier to record than a combo or smaller cab. The only potential challenge is volume if you're recording in a place where you can't afford to crank it. Like anything with recording, a lot depends on the mics, their placement and the room. As for whether to go stereo or not, since you've got the 20/20, you might as well go stereo with the cab. That way, you'll have the flexibility to go stereo if you want. You can always just record it in mono if that is what the mix demands.

from my own personal experiences I would highly recommend a a good quality 4 x 12.

I'm perfectly satisfied with a single stereo 2X12 earcandy buzzbomb for use unless I play a larger venue where more stage volume is needed. Then I use a second 2X12 or my 4X12.

Latest posts

Back