Triaxis/2:90 vs Dual Rectifier???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100W per channel is very loud so I decided getting a 20/20, will see how it sounds when it arrives :)

I actually preferred the 9005, 9100, and the EL34 50/50 because the 50 watts per channel was plenty in my Marshall tube power amps I had. I felt that the 9200 and EL34 100/100 were just a little overboard and took too long to get into power tube distortion, not to mention too heavy also.

Meet it half way,get Mesa 50/50power amp,So that there is gonna be enough headroom if needed but not as overkill as 100watts per channel..well unless the type of gigs your doin are pretty gig on the scale :)

The 20/20 is a great choice. It's something that allows you to trade up or keep it as a backup if you 'need' more power. I doubt you will need more power if you have efficient speakers. I only bought the 290 because it was dirt cheap and I was curious what the modes would sound like with the triaxis.

Once you get the 20/20 I suggest retubing with JJ EL84s as they are one of the better EL84's produced today.

Good luck.

Greg

Well I wont do any gigs, only need it for recording so hope it ll suffice. Also got a mass load from weber amplification to experiment with some silent recording/reamping options.

kullaniciadi said:
Well I wont do any gigs, only need it for recording so hope it ll suffice. Also got a mass load from weber amplification to experiment with some silent recording/reamping options.

In that case you will be thanking yourself in the long run. For me it is perfect for low level practice but it really shines when it's pushed a bit. 20 watts per channel is a little too much for low volumes but the attennuator will care of that.

There is one thing you may be interested in as far as mods go. Mesa put out a "Deep" mod for the 20/20 and most of the people that have done did not go back to stock. Now, don't get this associated with typical "deep" mods that one would think increases bass this actually just reduces a mid hump that makes the tone more linear instead of a bit mid heavy. It just balances the tone a little better and sounds great to my ears. If you want you can even make this feature switchable.

The schematics and photos on how to perform the mod are on the Triaxis yahoo group.

Greg

Just got the 2020, any suggestions for a small cab? I m likely to buy an Orange 1*12 from what I ve read around...

kullaniciadi said:
Just got the 2020, any suggestions for a small cab? I m likely to buy an Orange 1*12 from what I ve read around...

no no no no no

go with a mesa thiele ported 1x12" new or older evm loaded one these are the ultimate believe me I use one every day

go try one out

Thanks for the input but trying is not an option as there s no Mesa dealer in Istanbul :( I guess picking it up from ebay would cost me an extra 200-300US for shipment too argg.

Mesa must have updated their site in the last month or so. The Triaxis page says the Recto sound is alive.... again. They apparently got the necessary parts again for the Triaxis. However, most would agree that the Triaxis really will not do the Recto sound, but it will be more than enough bottom end for most applications.

Check out the Recto Pre and 2:100. That sounds like what you're after. I'm using Triaxis 2.0 and 2:100. I'll get some clips together at some point.

Guitarzan said:
I like the sound of the Marshall 9200 power block when pre'd with these. Something about a Mesa pre and the Marshall power w/EL-34's that sounds good to my ears.

i agree with you.

I have a mesa 2:90, AND a marshall el34 100/100, and last week i bought a recto pre, and i tell ya...for standard "E" tuning, i am liking the marshall power amp very very much. it adds a certain clarity and crunch while the Mesa amp is much smoother. I tried my 7 string through it and i liked that lower end sound much better through the 2:90. so there ya go...pick the amp that sounds better to the way you tune!

heh

but yeah, i've been liking this marshall power amp. i picked it up a few months ago just to try out (got an ok deal on it) and it has become my main power amp. i have been using a ADA MP-1 with the marshall for Death Metal, and now with the recto pre i am using it as well.

Marshall power amps are nice. I had them for years.

Latest posts

Back