Triaxis/2:90 vs Dual Rectifier???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Scotsman

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just joined this forum and was hoping to get some feedback. I used to have a dual rectifier and loved the tight, aggressive, heavy tone I got from it. However, that was back in Scotland and I have recently moved to San Deigo so unfortunately I couldn't bring it with me :( Anyways, I am very interested in buying a triaxis and 2:90 as I would prefer a rack set up so I could have my TC G Major effects tucked away with the amps.

However, I have never actually played through a triaxis/2:90 and was wondering if anyone knows how the sound compares to the dual rectifier??? Since I detune and play metal I want a very heavy but clear tone. Will the triaxis/2:90 provide this?

I was also wondering if it is possible to have a triaxis/2:90 and TC G Major all hooked up but be able to control the whole set up with a midi board such as a Behringer FCB1010 (even the amp channel switching).

I know this is a ton of questions guys but I'm pretty new to the whole rack gear thing and I'm sure everyone will agree that its a hell of a lot of cash to spend without knowing the capabilities of the equipment.

Thanks in advance.

Mad Scotsman said:
OK, but is it possible to use one midi pedal board to control the entire rig?

I never saw somebody using two !!!
I didn't understand your question.A midi controler is to control equipments that recognize midi language.
It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 1000 equipments ,if they are midi one foot will control everything.

sombra said:
Mad Scotsman said:
OK, but is it possible to use one midi pedal board to control the entire rig?

I never saw somebody using two !!!
I didn't understand your question.A midi controler is to control equipments that recognize midi language.
It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 1000 equipments ,if they are midi one foot will control everything.

Cunny Funt lol! I am just not that up to speed on midi language. So you are saying it is possible to have, for example, patch 1 on your board tell the "rack" to switch to channel 2 on the triaxis pre amp AND tell the G Major to switch to effects patch 4 simultaneously??? What would you connect the board to, preamp or effects? Is it straight forward to do?

I have only ever used heads with a seperate footswitch AND a midi board to control the G Major. One of the main reasons I would like to switch to a rack setup is to eliminate all the junk lying about at my feet.

Sombra, you are a tit! I joined this forum for information purposes and opinions of experienced mesa users. I have asked you for your advice on varuious aspects of mesa rack gear and all you can give me is total bullsh*t riddles! As far as I'm concerned you can ram that rack of yours up you arse side ways! I'll get my information from someone else

Mad Scotsman said:
Hi guys, I've just joined this forum and was hoping to get some feedback. I used to have a dual rectifier and loved the tight, aggressive, heavy tone I got from it. However, that was back in Scotland and I have recently moved to San Deigo so unfortunately I couldn't bring it with me :( Anyways, I am very interested in buying a triaxis and 2:90 as I would prefer a rack set up so I could have my TC G Major effects tucked away with the amps.

However, I have never actually played through a triaxis/2:90 and was wondering if anyone knows how the sound compares to the dual rectifier??? Since I detune and play metal I want a very heavy but clear tone. Will the triaxis/2:90 provide this?

I was also wondering if it is possible to have a triaxis/2:90 and TC G Major all hooked up but be able to control the whole set up with a midi board such as a Behringer FCB1010 (even the amp channel switching).

I know this is a ton of questions guys but I'm pretty new to the whole rack gear thing and I'm sure everyone will agree that its a hell of a lot of cash to spend without knowing the capabilities of the equipment.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with your tone questions, but I can tell you that the Triaxis is fully midi capable so you can control it and the G-major with one midi controller. You can program the controller to change patches on the Triaxis and the G-major simultaneously with one button push. As far as controllers go, I avoid Behringer products like the plague but that's just my personal preference. I use a Lexicon MPX R1 midi controller to control my Lexicon MPX1 effects processor. The GCX Ground control Pro and Axess Electronics FX1 are also great midi controllers. Good Luck.

Wes

Hey Mad Scot take it easy with sombra, the guy is just trying to help you here. Even if you don't understand his train of thought that doesn't make him deserving of offense.
English is not his native language (mine either) so sometimes it makes understanding him a little harder but I think you're a little out of line telling him to "ram that rack of yours up you arse side ways" anyway.
Peace dude.

I agree, this forum isn't like others, we all respect eachother here. Now to answer your question, I don't think the Triaxis will serve you well, you're better off getting another head...it's very expensive to buy mesa gear in ireland, and it should be way cheaper where you are now. I'm sure you can pick up another DR head. I personally don't like the triaxis that much, so my opinions might not be what you're looking for, to me a , a preamp and a poweramp will never sound as good as a head. Why don't you go try a triaxis+ 2;90 at your local store ( if they have it)

hahaha,I found another mad scots man(me too).I use dual rec andd always find them tonally sweeter than the triaxis.Im not big on my midi/rack gear as I like the traditional setup of amp,cab,lead,guitar.............me!

But yes if the devices are MIDI capable then one midi controller will do!!!I dont fully understand it so am not gonna get all up tight about my knowledge if ya know what I mean.But yeh I ve used the behringer stuff and its not really that great.
Try the voodoo-labs ground control!!!!!!!!!these units are great.
Have you tried the TC electronic G system.....If thats not alredy what you've got.they babies can do the lot!!!!!!!

peace out scots man

What band do you play in mate (mesanomad100)? I used to play in LEECHHATE but had to sack it cause I moved to Southern California! The G System looks mega but unfortunately for me they're really expensive, sapecially when I'm trying to fork out cash to get triaxis/2:90 or 2:100. Which actuallu leaves me in another dilema...2:90 or 2:100?????? They both sound awesome but I just read on the mesa website that the 2:100 does not come with rectifier tubes!!!!!!

hi there,I paly in a band from the dunfermline side of scotland(pretty mad place) and we are called Taylor Kayne,we have gigged all over scotland and the rest of mainland britain.I would go for the 2:90 as my friend from a band called nine circles(he's on this site).has a 2:90 and its killer.I'll have a look about for your band!!!!

I'm new to this site, but I can help with your question about the Triaxis vs. Dual Rectifier since I'm currently running both and using the Mesa High Gain Amp Switcher. In my opinion, the Rectifier has it's place in some music, heavy and clean, yes. I love it. But I prefer the Triaxis... it can be extremely heavy and clean, depending on the settings. I use a Sonic Maximizer on the Triaxis and it's unbelievable how it adds to the sound. The Triaxis has an awesome solo tone.. through either the bridge or neck pickup. The Rectifier cannot compete there, it's solo (single note) tone just isn't there. I did order a Weber attenuator that I plan on using with the Rectifier, I'll see if that helps. The Rectifier sounds great with ringing chords, and chunking, but so does the Tri. As far as clean tone, they both sound great. Hope this helps, and from what I've read on here, someone will bash me, that' Ok, I'm just sharing my opinion since someone asked. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to post one, any help?[/img]

Mad Scotsman said:
What band do you play in mate (mesanomad100)? I used to play in LEECHHATE but had to sack it cause I moved to Southern California! The G System looks mega but unfortunately for me they're really expensive, sapecially when I'm trying to fork out cash to get triaxis/2:90 or 2:100. Which actuallu leaves me in another dilema...2:90 or 2:100?????? They both sound awesome but I just read on the mesa website that the 2:100 does not come with rectifier tubes!!!!!!

1.) IF you really love the sound of Rectifiers, then I would recommend not buying the triaxis. The triaxis sounds very much like the Mark 2 C and Mark 3 heads and perhaps even the Mark 4. The triaxis does have a Rectifier mode in it but it sounds quite a bit different than a real Recto

2.) The triaxis can change the modes on the 290 poweramp. It is done by storing the desired loop in your triaxis and connecting the relay jackls on the triaxis to the 290 poweramp. then when you step on your midi controller, everything changes including any midi effects device

3.) If you really want a Recto sound and Rack mount flexibility, consider the Recto preamp, Mesa 2-100 poweramp and check out the products at RJM music or Axes electronics to see the various products that can accept midi commands and then switch your analog gear channels.

Would anyone recommend any power amp to be a good match for both rec pre and triaxis ? I was thinking of getting a mesa power amp and do some kind of switching to be able to run both.

I like the sound of the Marshall 9200 power block when pre'd with these. Something about a Mesa pre and the Marshall power w/EL-34's that sounds good to my ears.

I think it depends on your personal needs. Many people probably like the fact that they have a 100, 200, or even 300 watt tube power amp but realistically speaking the Mesa 20/20 fits the bill nicely. I have both the 290 and 20/20 but I wouldn't say one is better than the other based on tone..volume..well the 290 wins for obvious reasons but 40 watts is even too loud for my current playing conditions so i don't see it as being advantageous for me anytime soon. I just caught a great deal on the 290 and that's the ONLY reason I have it.

The Triaxis and 20/20 in a 2 space rack case makes for a tiny 90 channel amp that you can carry to a gig. The 20/20 is near perfect for guitars in the mix as it doesn't provide that thick 6L6 tone at high volumes which can screw up a mix.

The 290 has the switchable modes(deep,modern,half drive) as does the 2100 (just modern) which can add the versatility of the TA and 290 or 2100 combo.

I think the topic of TA VS Rectifier has been beaten to death in that not many people agree you they sound the same at all. I like the TA for what it is...a good sounding preamp. If Mesa didn't market it as being modeled off of the Mark series it probably wouldn't sell as well but I would still enjoy it's tone.

Greg

I never had a Mesa while I owned Marshall tube power amps but I bet that would sound great. :D

Latest posts

Back