Tremoverb vs Rectoverb.... Mainly the clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I have a Tremoverb, the weight is killing me..... I was just offered a trade for a Rectoverb combo (1x12 combo) and the idea of a 1x12 is a nice idea, and 25-30 pounds lighter.

I know I'll like the distortion, but the clean channel is where I'm concerned? I've owned both these amps before, but I only played hard rock with a hot humbucker guitar at the time, so I really don't know how the clean sounded. Now I'm playing a lot of country music and a good clean is important. This wouldn't be my main amp, but it would be used quite a bit at the gigs where I do play more rock. Reverb and Tremolo aren't that big to me as I'm not a fan of reverb and I use a Tremolo pedal.

There is a big plus the Rectoverb has over the T-verb, and that's the solo boost. But if the cleans aren't there, then it really doesn't matter.

I'd like to here from people that have had both or at least had a Rectoverb and can let me know how they like the cleans? I know the Tremoverb is a "more sought after" amp and possibly one of Mesa's best...... But it's not going to do me any good when I throw my 37yr old back out loading it in to the back seat of my 2-door car.

What do you think?

is your tremoverb a 2x12? if yes you could change the two speakers to the celestion neo speakers,(3.7lbs each) and save close to 20Lbs? I put two celestion vintage neo's in a stiletto 2x12 combo and it made a big difference. The vintage neo sound like V30's IMHO.
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=2

It's not even close, to me - I would take the Tremoverb every time no matter what the weight difference is. (And I'm 42!) The Tremoverb and Rectoverb cleans are very different - the circuit is entirely different, the Tremoverb is an improved version of the Rev.G 2-channel Dual Rectifier, and the Rectoverb is like the 3-channel Dual. The Tremoverb is a 'Marshall-type clean', with the same audio path structure as the overdrive channel and the EQ at the end; the Rectoverb is a 'Fender-type clean' with a different audio path and the EQ at the start.

Which is better depends on what you want from a clean channel though. Personally I love the Tremoverb's rich/slightly dirty cleans, and found the Rectoverb's hard and sterile - but then I like Marshall cleans. I have a friend who has also owned both amps who much prefers the Rectoverb - the Tremoverb was never clean enough for him. He even prefers the Rectoverb's overdrive, too - it's also not quite the same. The Rectoverb's reverb is not in the same league as the Tremoverb's either, if that matters to you - it's solid-state driven and sounds it.

A word of warning about the weight - the Rectoverb *is* a lot lighter, but it doesn't have the wheels and excellent end handles of the Tremoverb, and I find it more difficult to move, apart from a straight up lift on my own. The Rectoverb is heavy for a top-handle-only amp, and I've had to replace the one on my friend's amp twice. I agree that the Century Vintage speakers will save a fair bit of weight, although not a huge proportion of the total - but still significant. I don't agree they sound like V30s though, they don't have anywhere near the bottom end.

Disclaimer: it may be obvious from my forum name that this is not an entirely unbiased opinion.

I would go for the Tverb also. I also favor the 2ch rectos over the 3's. the ROV is sterile and fizzy to me. I also agree with Jamme61 about the Neo's. They sound surpisingly good. The other thing ive noticed between the 2 is the reverb. As 94Tremoverb mentioned it is a noticable difference.

I f you are really concerned about your clean tone, then might I recommend you look away from the rectos. Maybe a nice Mark III or IV. Or maybe a Lonestar.
94Tremoverb said:
It's not even close, to me - I would take the Tremoverb every time no matter what the weight difference is. (And I'm 42!) The Tremoverb and Rectoverb cleans are very different - the circuit is entirely different, the Tremoverb is an improved version of the Rev.G 2-channel Dual Rectifier, and the Rectoverb is like the 3-channel Dual. The Tremoverb is a 'Marshall-type clean', with the same audio path structure as the overdrive channel and the EQ at the end; the Rectoverb is a 'Fender-type clean' with a different audio path and the EQ at the start.

Which is better depends on what you want from a clean channel though. Personally I love the Tremoverb's rich/slightly dirty cleans, and found the Rectoverb's hard and sterile - but then I like Marshall cleans. I have a friend who has also owned both amps who much prefers the Rectoverb - the Tremoverb was never clean enough for him. He even prefers the Rectoverb's overdrive, too - it's also not quite the same. The Rectoverb's reverb is not in the same league as the Tremoverb's either, if that matters to you - it's solid-state driven and sounds it.

A word of warning about the weight - the Rectoverb *is* a lot lighter, but it doesn't have the wheels and excellent end handles of the Tremoverb, and I find it more difficult to move, apart from a straight up lift on my own. The Rectoverb is heavy for a top-handle-only amp, and I've had to replace the one on my friend's amp twice. I agree that the Century Vintage speakers will save a fair bit of weight, although not a huge proportion of the total - but still significant. I don't agree they sound like V30s though, they don't have anywhere near the bottom end.

Disclaimer: it may be obvious from my forum name that this is not an entirely unbiased opinion.

just what I did a ways back when I was playing a club with my TOV 2x12 and the place got hit by a power surge and blew the right speaker. Thru a century Neo in the right side to save a little weight. Sounds great. maybe a hair brighter but I wouldn't say less bass. Love to save 10 lbs on that beast as a working musician. I think I would put something else in the other side if it blew but not sure what it would be. Hellatone maybe?

Latest posts

Back