Tremoverb for 90's punk tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GJgo said:
Just have cash ready and keep an eye on Ebay, GC dot com (used) & Reverb, and more will pop up. Just also budget for a trip back to Mesa to have Mike go through it & update the LDRs. Keep all this in mind for your budget & it's worth it. All told I'm about $1200 in mine.

The combos usually go cheaper than the heads because they're so stupid heavy no one wants to move them.
What are the LDRs? And I assume you are talking about the Tremoverb having the LDRs?

YellowJacket said:
I used my Dual Recto Rev F for punk tones back in the day. The 100watt greenback 4 x 12 sounds great but you end up having to run the amp at 50 watts by removing a couple of power tubes.

The mesa I think has a great punk rock tone is the Electra Dyne. Vintage Hi mode sounds like a cross between a Mesa Boogie Mark 1 and a Marshall JCM800 so it just has 'that' tone, especially when being paired with a Gibson Les Paul.

And, the 45 watt mode pairs up nicely with a greenback 4 x 12.
Is the ElectraDyne part of the Rectifier series?

Never Mind...it looks like it is not a rectifier. They sound good.

Blenderhead said:
What are the LDRs? And I assume you are talking about the Tremoverb having the LDRs?
Light dependent resistors. It's a part of the T-verb circuit that had known issues with some QC during the time of production. When I got mine the tremolo sounded like ***, though admittedly I'll probably rarely use it.

GJgo said:
Blenderhead said:
Light dependent resistors. It's a part of the T-verb circuit that had known issues with some QC during the time of production. When I got mine the tremolo sounded like ***, though admittedly I'll probably rarely use it.
Yea if I were to get a Tremoverb I'd prob never use the tremolo effect. They didn't affect the rest of the circuit tho?

I've read that bad LDRs can also cause volume drops, though that wasn't my case. At any rate since you're buying an amp that's 20+ years old you'll want it to go in for a recap job anyway, so my feeling is just have Mike take care of everything & have a new amp.

Here's a really nice set for sale, if I didn't already have one I'd be all over it.
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/5760828908.html

GJgo said:
I've read that bad LDRs can also cause volume drops, though that wasn't my case. At any rate since you're buying an amp that's 20+ years old you'll want it to go in for a recap job anyway, so my feeling is just have Mike take care of everything & have a new amp.

Here's a really nice set for sale, if I didn't already have one I'd be all over it.
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/5760828908.html
Haha...Nice write up!

Blenderhead said:
YellowJacket said:
I used my Dual Recto Rev F for punk tones back in the day. The 100watt greenback 4 x 12 sounds great but you end up having to run the amp at 50 watts by removing a couple of power tubes.

The mesa I think has a great punk rock tone is the Electra Dyne. Vintage Hi mode sounds like a cross between a Mesa Boogie Mark 1 and a Marshall JCM800 so it just has 'that' tone, especially when being paired with a Gibson Les Paul.

And, the 45 watt mode pairs up nicely with a greenback 4 x 12.
Is the ElectraDyne part of the Rectifier series?

Never Mind...it looks like it is not a rectifier. They sound good.

Yes, not really a recto although it does have that core 'mesa' voicing.

I'd describe it as a considerably more British voicing of a Mark I. It's REALLY punky sounding on Vintage Hi, especially when you turn the mids up!! I'd say considerably MORE punk rock than a Recto, at least in my opinion.
I'm comparing directly with a Dual Recto Rev F.

Ha! My two favorite bands. Pennywise used a mark iv in the past but switched to rectifiers because they found they sounded too thin. He now uses a triple rec and another amp in stereo for a more wide sound on stage. Nofx used mark iii and mark iv live in the past but now el hefe uses an evh 5150 live cos it's cheaper and melvin uses a mark v live with 4x12 v30. If I have to choose I would use a mark V a triple rec or a jp2c all with 4x12 v30.

I'm running a ToV and I was actually just playing bro hymm about an hour ago. I think it pretty well nailed it. Modern mode with tube screamer to boost, passive pickups, and the gain about 12:30 and it's a done deal.

Chiliphil1 said:
I'm running a ToV and I was actually just playing bro hymm about an hour ago. I think it pretty well nailed it. Modern mode with tube screamer to boost, passive pickups, and the gain about 12:30 and it's a done deal.
Do you need the TS boost? Or can the tov do the bottom end on its own?

Blenderhead said:
Chiliphil1 said:

For sure, it's actually a little deceiving. The amp does all of the bottom you need but it can sound sort of like a wet blanket. The boost adds mids and a little bit of highs and gives an overall brightness to the tone and also tightens the bottom end. To me it's essential to get "that" sound from a recto but you may like it without the boost. It's all personal preference the recto is a bottom heavy amp which can sound thick but really, too thick. Tube screamers are bright by nature with almost a "Marshall" character to them, when put together the recto has everything the TS doesn't and the TS has everything the recto doesn't.

Chiliphil1 said:
Blenderhead said:
Chiliphil1 said:

For sure, it's actually a little deceiving. The amp does all of the bottom you need but it can sound sort of like a wet blanket. The boost adds mids and a little bit of highs and gives an overall brightness to the tone and also tightens the bottom end. To me it's essential to get "that" sound from a recto but you may like it without the boost. It's all personal preference the recto is a bottom heavy amp which can sound thick but really, too thick. Tube screamers are bright by nature with almost a "Marshall" character to them, when put together the recto has everything the TS doesn't and the TS has everything the recto doesn't.

Interesting...I think I also asked you this same question on the MF.

Here's a demo I did of my ToV.. Not a pro player, so excuse the mistakes. Just make these for fun and in case it helps anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1NY2MgsNU&spfreload=10

Cool video Chiliphil1!

That boost makes all the difference doesn't it, the amp started breathing that fire when you turned it on. Sounded killer. :mrgreen: Makes me want a rectifier, lol

SamuelJ86 said:
Cool video Chiliphil1!

That boost makes all the difference doesn't it, the amp started breathing that fire when you turned it on. Sounded killer. :mrgreen: Makes me want a rectifier, lol

For sure. I think a lot of people are turned off of recto's because they tried one without using a boost. Most people say "I don't need to boost a high gain amp" and that's right, you don't need to add any gain BUT having the hotter signal coming into it makes a massive difference on the response of the amp. In my opinion it's necessary.

Hope you grab one, I know you'll like it.

Latest posts

Back