Tremoverb dull sounding red channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soma

Reaction score
So I thought I had a modern hi gain tone dialled in on the red channel that I loved but I was becoming more and more unhappy with it as time went on. Weird volume drops, tone would change after a while (sort of smooth out and compress) and a dodgy bass knob were all getting to me. Yesterday out of desperation I dialled in the orange channel to vintage hi gain and couldn't believe how good it sounded! With the gain dimed :!: I got a tone simliliar to my modern hi gain but SO much bigger, more aggressive and at the same time a lot more musical. Flicking back and forth between the two channels the overall texture was similiar but the red channel just sounded boxy and lifeless. Also, when I used channel cloning to get clean on red, I couldn't dial in a good full bright sound like I could on the orange channel, again it was lifeless and dull sounding.

So after that long *** post I guess my question is, should the red channel sound like this or is there something wrong with it? Thanks for reading!

Cheers. :D

The ToV's are notorious for LDR problems. The volume drop out would suggest to me that is the problem. There are few threads that have discussed the problems. Long story short, some of the LDR's used in the amps were unreliable. If in fact they are the culprit in your amp woes, Mesa authorizes no charge replacement for LDR's even if you are not the original owner. You must take your amp to an AUTHORIZED Mesa service center. I had mine done at the factory in Petaluma 30 miles away, and it has not had any problems since. It's one the best Mesa amps ever, IMO, so I would say it well worth the effort to have it repaired.

Good Luck, Mike

Thanks. I suspected from what I've read here it could be something along those lines but was keen to hear what people thought based on my description rather than what I've read. I live in New Zealand, so not sure if we even have an authorised Mesa tech around here, but I do know a good tech who has serviced a lot of Mesas, so probably get him to have a good look at it. Hopefully not too expensive, I hear Tremoverbs have a lot of LDRs :(

Thanks again.

Cheers.

I have a tremoverb combo and I've played about 60 gigs with it over the last few years.
Red channel exclusively with chunk amounts of gain. It's failed me twice, once because of bad club power but more recently something else is going on. It just doesn't have the same clarity and punch it used to. I'm not sure, the local mesa tech worked on it once and I wasn't that happy with the sound when it came back to me then either. Anyone know who the best mesa tech is in NY, NJ, CT area?

Latest posts

Back