Tremoverb combo vs JCM900 head!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

Reaction score
I don't know if its common information, so it may seem like a stupid question to many of u, i recently bought a Marshall JCM900 SL-X 2100 100w Head, and when played through the Mesa Std quad, seemed MUCH MUCH MUCH!!!!!!!!!! louder then when i usually play my 100w combo through the 6x12" (quad and combo 2x12")
Just wondering ppl's thoughts???

So your saying a Marshall is loud? It may seem louder, but remember, you are playing your Mesa through 6 speakers instead of 4. I find that when playng through a single 4X12 a Mesa or Marshall seems loud. When you add more speakers it appears to cut the volume when in actuality it is dispersing the sound differently. In my expirience, any amp played through multiple cabs seems to cut the volume, but also allows more of the sonic spectrum of the amp to come through. It allows the amp to disperse highs and lows better. Have you tried running the Mesa through just the 4X12? Mesa has been known to make brutally loud amps, and the Tremoverb in no different.

The Marshall, however is a totally different beast. Both amps have different gain structures and damping. You may find the Marshall to be more cutting and in your face. They really contrast each other in the the sonic spectrums they were designed to cover. The open back of the combo does not let the bottom end through the same as a closed back cabinet either. It dampens it and allows the highs to seem more dominant and blend the bass and mids. It is a totally different tone, but it may have benefits that other setups do not. I really like using an open back combo and adding a closed back cabinet. It gives you the best of both world for clean and the overdrive may seem to have a very smooth yet cutting tone.

It'd be interesting to hear you compare both heads on a 4x12.

the more speakers you use, the less power gets distributed to each speaker. 100W over 4 speakers is 25W per speaker. 100W over 6 speakers is about 17W per speaker (36% reduction in power, although that isn't equal to the % reduction in speaker response - which won't be as much a loss).

Thanks guys, i'll try and do that soon run the mesa through just the 4x12, i did when i first purchased the quad but didn't have the marshall to compare to at the time. I also like the sound of the openback combo through the closed back 4x12. I'll post soon as soon as i try it.
Thanks guys

Michael

Is your impedance set correctly on the selection of impedance switch when running the combo w/ the 4x12"?

Meaning, say your combo (2x12") is running at 16 ohms and the 4x12" running also at 16 ohms too, in parallel, your output transformer tap (switch) should be set at 8 ohms.

Now if your combo's speakers is at 8 ohms (2-16 ohms speakers, I suppose Celestions Vintage wired in parallel), then hopefully your 4x12" is 4 - 8 ohms speakers in a series / parallel configuration which usually it is, then you transformer tap (switch) should be set a 4 ohms running both combo and 4 x12".

Now if you have an odd impedance match that's not compatible with your output transformer tap then you may get a power (wattage drop) thus a volume drop. I'm not sure though. Now someone correct me :?

Do I make sense? Maybe others will chime in what I'm trying to say.

Yeah thats exactly how i run it, the combo's are 16ohm V30's parrallel, and the recto stand quad is 16ohms too. I run the combos speakers into teh 4ohm jack on the amp, and the quad i also run out of the 8ohm mono out put (theres also two 4ohm stero on teh recto quad), so i run out of the 8ohm and into the 4 ohm on the amp. I'm pritty sure this is right as it was what u sujested and, the mesa rep in Australia said, i was still not 100% convinced, although i dont' know much abotu this myself, email michael wolf from mesa and he said that was right.
If i run just the quad i just go out of the 8ohm into teh 8 on the amp right for mono??? And stero would be (using jsut the quad again ~no combo speakers connected~) would i run into eitehr 4ohm stero imput on the quad and both 4 ohms once again on the amp????
LOL this is gettign comfusing, but yeah i had been running my amp the same way u sujested, and to my understanding the "right way"

One other question on that note, someone said that its advised to keep your cables (from amp's to speakers) as short as possible??? I bought good heavy duty speaker cable, (i cant' remeber the crossectional area) but i wired it so it would give me the option of not having to have the combo and amp that close, i made it with about an extra 1metre. Is this wrong should i make it as short as possible?????

On the subject of volume its still puzzleing me, however i still havnt tried just the mesa and quad cuase im not 100% on the wiring hence why i ask above??? Maybe the tubes coudl be at fault, but that seems to be the first thing all of us blame for every porblem LOL.

Thanks guys for your help
Michael

RR said:
Is your impedance set correctly on the selection of impedance switch when running the combo w/ the 4x12"?

Meaning, say your combo (2x12") is running at 16 ohms and the 4x12" running also at 16 ohms too, in parallel, your output transformer tap (switch) should be set at 8 ohms.

Now if your combo's speakers is at 8 ohms (2-16 ohms speakers, I suppose Celestions Vintage wired in parallel), then hopefully your 4x12" is 4 - 8 ohms speakers in a series / parallel configuration which usually it is, then you transformer tap (switch) should be set a 4 ohms running both combo and 4 x12".

Now if you have an odd impedance match that's not compatible with your output transformer tap then you may get a power (wattage drop) thus a volume drop. I'm not sure though. Now someone correct me :?

Do I make sense? Maybe others will chime in what I'm trying to say.

Perfect sense, but now I'm dizzy !!!!

im just adding to the mix here but every jcm 900 ive ever played has been much lower in volume then any mesa....

the other guitarist in my band used to have a 100 watt and it was tiny compared to my dual rec. when i pulled the tubes down to 50 watts, luckily he got a jcm 200 DSL 100 watt in time for when i went back up to 100 watts on my mesa or i think some very interesting shows wouldve been played lol

Interesting point! Hmm i dont' know my marshalls but i know there are alot of jcm900 modles made, maybe its jsut the SLX modle im not sure, but the guy i bought it of also said that its the loudest marshall he's herd. So hmmm i dunno LOL

Thanks anyway
Michael

Latest posts

Back